Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CADL v MOC -- What if we lose? Are you still with us?

CADL v MOC -- What if we lose? Are you still with us?

All,

While we truly don't know what the outcome will be (and at least 2 of the 3 judges seemed to open-minded), the decision will be out soon.

That night or the next I will be calling a special leadership meeting where the leadership team will be discussing whether to pursue this case further (in the event the outcome isn't favorable or completely what we're looking for). The question I have for you is: are you still behind us? If we elect to take the case to the Supreme Court it will be no inexpensive endeavor. I can't quote you a price yet or how much we'll need -- but I can say it'll be substantial, even if Dean continues his very VERY generous rate/fees.

So let me ask you: Can we count on you to donate AT LEAST $100 to help us take this case to the next level, if need be? If we can count on you, email me at PHofmeister@miopencarry.org or write a reply in this thread. The amount of support we appear to have will certainly be one factor in our decision to pursue the case further, if needed.

I can certainly appreciate times are tight. Please be assured we are doing our best with the resources we have to fight the good fight. I hope you will stand with us.

I appreciate your consideration on this matter.

Phillip Hofmeister
    President and Executive Officer
    Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
    Last edited by TheQ; 08-02-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

If an appeal is necessary(or CADL appeals their loss), I'm in for $100.

I was thinking a little bit ago with is active as our forum is have you considered doing raffles like what virginiagunraffle does? If you look at their set up it looks like a really good way to possible raise a lot of money. People are generally more inclined to donate that way because they have a chance at something awesome :P Either way I would throw a C note at the cause

Not to get too far off topic, but raffles in Michigan Require a license, and we don't qualify for one at this time.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    i'm in.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

I could afford to donate $100 if it is needed.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Not to get too far off topic, but raffles in Michigan Require a license, and we don't qualify for one at this time.
    If MOC is a registered non-profit which it appears to be?

You do qualify for a nominal fee

total prize under $500 - cost $15
    total prize over $500 - cost $50

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/BS...24_26045_7.pdf

OT: I would do my best to donate if necessary
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

I'm in!
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by Hevymetal View Post
    If MOC is a registered non-profit which it appears to be?

You do qualify for a nominal fee

total prize under $500 - cost $15
    total prize over $500 - cost $50

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/BS...24_26045_7.pdf

The license seems to require Federal non-profit status (we only have Michigan), or 5 years of financials...we haven't existing that long.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    I'm in.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

I'm in.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    The license seems to require Federal non-profit status (we only have Michigan), or 5 years of financials...we haven't existing that long.
    PM me if you or Q are interested in changing that. I do work for a great CPA firm who may be able to help get you your federal exempt status or know how to work around the existing rules given the organizations relative youth. I would be willing to donate a few hrs of billable time to get you what you need. The owner is Pro-gun and I recently talked him into getting his CPL

I'm in for $100.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

It's times like this we must call in our banners and know who will stand with us. Thank you to each of you!

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    If an appeal is necessary(or CADL appeals their loss), I'm in for $100.
    Thank you for all you continue to do!

Quote Originally Posted by choover View Post
    Either way I would throw a C note at the cause
    Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    i'm in.
    and we thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    I could afford to donate $100 if it is needed.
    We'd appreciate the effort.

It'd be great if you could.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    I'm in!
    yay! Thank you (again!)

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    I'm in.
    Thank you (again!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I'm in.
    Thank you, friend!

PM me if you or Q are interested in changing that. I do work for a great CPA firm who may be able to help get you your federal exempt status or know how to work around the existing rules given the organizations relative youth. I would be willing to donate a few hrs of billable time to get you what you need. The owner is Pro-gun and I recently talked him into getting his CPL
    Actually, Adam (MOC VP), Myself, and Ryan Ransom (Autosurgeon) - Treasurer would be needing that soon. We're filing as a 501(c)(4). Can you email boatrd@miopencarry.org and give us some ideas what you can do for us and what's involved?

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I'm in for $100.
    And thank you!
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

In

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    In

Bronson
    \o/

Thank you!

Banned
    You know that I can't donate that much. If I could, I'd fund the whole case. I was hoping to get a suit out of the search and detainment issue, and would have donated from that.

I think it would be foolish not to stick this out, and considering the possible ramifications of the case, it might not be an option, we may have to take it to the supreme court if there is to be any OC at all in the state.

I'm in as well.

I am in as well.
    Person in Home Depot: "Do you really think you need that?"
    Me: "I hope not. But then again, I didn't need my seatbelt on the way here either."

You know I am down for the duration!

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

I'm in.

Dan
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

I'm in also.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post

Actually, Adam (MOC VP), Myself, and Ryan Ransom (Autosurgeon) - Treasurer would be needing that soon. We're filing as a 501(c)(4). Can you email boatrd@miopencarry.org and give us some ideas what you can do for us and what's involved?
    Check your PM for my phone # and call me, I talked to the CPA this morning and have received a ton of info from him on the application process, forms, instructions etc. They would be happy to assist in the application process and filing of the forms since they have experience in doing this. They are also willing to offset some of the costs with a trade-off for my labor with them (my donation to the process). There is however a bunch of legwork you guys have to do seeing that the application is a 30 page document that you can answer most of the questions better. Get ahold of me and I can forward the info and discuss the process with you. The application approval can take anywhere from 6-18 months so the sooner the better.

I'm in.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

I'm in also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast