• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CADL v MOC -- What if we lose? Are you still with us?

TheQ

All,

While we truly don't know what the outcome will be (and at least 2 of the 3 judges seemed to open-minded), the decision will be out soon.

That night or the next I will be calling a special leadership meeting where the leadership team will be discussing whether to pursue this case further (in the event the outcome isn't favorable or completely what we're looking for). The question I have for you is: are you still behind us? If we elect to take the case to the Supreme Court it will be no inexpensive endeavor. I can't quote you a price yet or how much we'll need -- but I can say it'll be substantial, even if Dean continues his very VERY generous rate/fees.

So let me ask you: Can we count on you to donate AT LEAST $100 to help us take this case to the next level, if need be? If we can count on you, email me at PHofmeister@miopencarry.org or write a reply in this thread. The amount of support we appear to have will certainly be one factor in our decision to pursue the case further, if needed.

I can certainly appreciate times are tight. Please be assured we are doing our best with the resources we have to fight the good fight. I hope you will stand with us.

I appreciate your consideration on this matter.

Phillip Hofmeister
President and Executive Officer
Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

Last edited:

choover

I was thinking a little bit ago with is active as our forum is have you considered doing raffles like what virginiagunraffle does? If you look at their set up it looks like a really good way to possible raise a lot of money. People are generally more inclined to donate that way because they have a chance at something awesome :p Either way I would throw a C note at the cause

TheQ

Not to get too far off topic, but raffles in Michigan Require a license, and we don't qualify for one at this time.

Hevymetal

scot623

Hevymetal

The license seems to require Federal non-profit status (we only have Michigan), or 5 years of financials...we haven't existing that long.

PM me if you or Q are interested in changing that. I do work for a great CPA firm who may be able to help get you your federal exempt status or know how to work around the existing rules given the organizations relative youth. I would be willing to donate a few hrs of billable time to get you what you need. The owner is Pro-gun and I recently talked him into getting his CPL :)

TheQ

It's times like this we must call in our banners and know who will stand with us. Thank you to each of you!

If an appeal is necessary(or CADL appeals their loss), I'm in for $100.

Thank you for all you continue to do!

Either way I would throw a C note at the cause

Much appreciated!

and we thank you!

I could afford to donate $100 if it is needed.

We'd appreciate the effort.

OT: I would do my best to donate if necessary

It'd be great if you could.

I'm in!:banana:

yay! Thank you (again!)

Thank you (again!)

Thank you, friend!

PM me if you or Q are interested in changing that. I do work for a great CPA firm who may be able to help get you your federal exempt status or know how to work around the existing rules given the organizations relative youth. I would be willing to donate a few hrs of billable time to get you what you need. The owner is Pro-gun and I recently talked him into getting his CPL :)

Actually, Adam (MOC VP), Myself, and Ryan Ransom (Autosurgeon) - Treasurer would be needing that soon. We're filing as a 501(c)(4). Can you email boatrd@miopencarry.org and give us some ideas what you can do for us and what's involved?

I'm in for $100.

And thank you!

stainless1911

Banned
You know that I can't donate that much. If I could, I'd fund the whole case. I was hoping to get a suit out of the search and detainment issue, and would have donated from that.

I think it would be foolish not to stick this out, and considering the possible ramifications of the case, it might not be an option, we may have to take it to the supreme court if there is to be any OC at all in the state.