• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open ,Arty for active duty military

Milspec

What are the laws regarding open carry for active duty military personnel? I'm transferring from Great Lakes Illinois to a small town in Virginia. Now I know the laws in Virginia, as I was raised there, but I don't know if I would be able to carry through the states I'll pass through during my move, which I would prefer to do, for my safety and my wife's safety.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
There are no special laws for carry of firearms by military personnel. The same laws apply to you as to everyone else. You'll have to research each state individually.

unknownsailor

Say "Hi!" to Great Mistakes for me, been over 18 years since I last saw the place.

I would dog leg over to Indiana before heading south, myself, just to get out of Illinois and it's restrictive laws. Should be relatively smooth sailing after that. As far as the law goes, when off post, you are just like any other citizen when it comes to carrying, nothing special is inferred just by having a DoD ID card.

Milspec

You always know when some one has been to this hell hole when they call it "Great Mistakes"! Lol! I'm sure this place missed you. As for the route I'm talking, I'm just gonna do what my GPS tells me, just try to avoid major cities.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
No matter which way you come, look for the "Welcome to Virginia sign." Pull off the road as soon after you pass it as you safely are able to do so. Dig your handgun out of the trunk, load it up and put that holster on your hip! (Of course, standing with the car blocking the other travelers from seeing everything you are doing might be the wisest way to go. No need to frighten the tourists.:p)

Depending on what area of the Commonwealth (we are not a state like those other 46 places) you settle in, look to see what OC events are happening. There are weekly breakfasts and regular dinners in several areas. They are usually stickied at the top of the Virginia forum. Go to www.vcdl.org and at least sign up for the free electronic newsletter VA-ALERTS. You can join on-line but then you would miss the joy and fun of meeting some of the VCDL volunteers at the gun show, where they will take your application.

Keep Monday, January 14, 2013 clear on your calendar so you can attend Lobby Day at the General Assembly Building in Richmond. It's the big annual gun-rights event - not that there are not other events throughout the year. If you are going to be settling in NoVa, Central Virginia (where most of the good folks live) or the Hampton Roads/Tidewater area before September 15th, come on out to the VCDL picnic in Newport News that day. Details are in a sticky in the Virginia forum.

Let us know when you actually get to Virginia so we can officially welcome you. Your arrival is probably as good an excuse as any other for setting up a meet&greet.

stay safe.

Milspec

This is actually a kind of home coming for me, my home town is an hour and a half away from Dahlgren. I'll be sure to check those websites out, and join up. I can't wait to get home!

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
You always know when some one has been to this hell hole when they call it "Great Mistakes"! Lol! I'm sure this place missed you. As for the route I'm talking, I'm just gonna do what my GPS tells me, just try to avoid major cities.

Interestingly, Senator Leahy who authored the original Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act has submitted a bill to amend the "statutory powers of arrest" to "statutory powers of arrest or apprehension under Article 7b of the UCMJ which would include all commissioned officers, warrant officers, and noncommissioned officers of the Armed Forces. I don't know anything about the bill's current status.

Phoenix David

Interestingly, Senator Leahy who authored the original Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act has submitted a bill to amend the "statutory powers of arrest" to "statutory powers of arrest or apprehension under Article 7b of the UCMJ which would include all commissioned officers, warrant officers, and noncommissioned officers of the Armed Forces. I don't know anything about the bill's current status.

Oh that's a big ole can of worms that doesn't need opening.