• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retired Marine, new to carrying in CT

CTMarine87

Hey Gents,

A facebook friend of mine from North Carolina directed me towards this forum. I just recently retired from the Marine Corps, and while I was on active duty, my parents moved to Stratford. I'm living at home with them now. Looked into the pistol permit requirements for CT, and just got everything together, (i.e. NRA pistol safety certificate, money orders, passport photos, application filled out and notarized, DD-214, certified birth certificate w/ raised seal.) Trying to get ahold of the Stratford Detective (his name is Rodriquez) that does fingerprints. Been waiting a couple days for a call back for an appointment. Any suggestions or common problems to anticipate? And also, does anyone open carry in Fairfield county?

brlong23

Hey Gents,

A facebook friend of mine from North Carolina directed me towards this forum. I just recently retired from the Marine Corps, and while I was on active duty, my parents moved to Stratford. I'm living at home with them now. Looked into the pistol permit requirements for CT, and just got everything together, (i.e. NRA pistol safety certificate, money orders, passport photos, application filled out and notarized, DD-214, certified birth certificate w/ raised seal.) Trying to get ahold of the Stratford Detective (his name is Rodriquez) that does fingerprints. Been waiting a couple days for a call back for an appointment. Any suggestions or common problems to anticipate? And also, does anyone open carry in Fairfield county?

I don't live in CT so I can't help you with your question but just wanted to say welcome to the forum and thank you for your service! From one Marine to another, Semper Fi!

BFDMikeCT

I thank you also for your service. I can't believe that at military personnel need a NRA certificate. You are probably better trained than that class comes close to. Hope all goes well with your application.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, you did a lot more than I did with my permit application. :lol: I have a thread in the CT section.

As far as your fingerprints, they are not needed....the feds already have them.

Up to you if you want to provide them with a fresh set. The purpose is just to ID you ... if the town notarized your form or otherwise does not object to your ID, then they know you well enough.
(I answered most of the queries on the DPS form as "not relevant", including the fingerprint request and the charge for the background check which is bogus and has no basis in law- i.e. its a made up charge). And the appeals board has tended to agree.

I did not give them a DD214 --- what, you HAVE to be a vet to be able to carry, duh - no. Then a DD214 is not relevant. If you were dishonorably discharged then THAT would be relevant .. but they don't ask you this on the form. So, too bad, ask the right questions and you'll get the right answers...is my motto.

Looks like you are willing to dance their dance. Problems? I don't foresee any other than a 16 wk wait.

Welcome to the forum .... please note that I consider my application process to be a "test case" ... the opinions that I offer are sometimes agreed with and sometimes not by other members of this forum.

How's it feel to be out of the Navy?

Last edited:

CTMarine87

I thank you also for your service. I can't believe that at military personnel need a NRA certificate. You are probably better trained than that class comes close to. Hope all goes well with your application.

lol it's funny you should mention that.... I'm actually a Marine SWAT operator, and the guy teaching the class I took is a Corrections Officer. When he found out my background he laughed and said I should be teaching the class. The reason I had to take it is because I tried to get my military training certificates approved, but the state firearms board and the Stratford PD demanded an NRA safety class. They said it was the law. My comment was that this law is a pretty good deal for the NRA! I'm not down-talking the NRA, by the way. I just renewed my membership yesterday.

CTMarine87

Well, you did a lot more than I did with my permit application. :lol: I have a thread in the CT section.

As far as your fingerprints, they are not needed....the feds already have them.

Up to you if you want to provide them with a fresh set. The purpose is just to ID you ... if the town notarized your form or otherwise does not object to your ID, then they know you well enough.
(I answered most of the queries on the DPS form as "not relevant", including the fingerprint request and the charge for the background check which is bogus and has no basis in law- i.e. its a made up charge). And the appeals board has tended to agree.

I did not give them a DD214 --- what, you HAVE to be a vet to be able to carry, duh - no. Then a DD214 is not relevant. If you were dishonorably discharged then THAT would be relevant .. but they don't ask you this on the form. So, too bad, ask the right questions and you'll get the right answers...is my motto.

Looks like you are willing to dance their dance. Problems? I don't foresee any other than a 16 wk wait.

Welcome to the forum .... please note that I consider my application process to be a "test case" ... the opinions that I offer are sometimes agreed with and sometimes not by other members of this forum.

How's it feel to be out of the Navy?

Lol. I agree with you that I shouldn't have to jump through hoops not prescribed by law, but the way I see it, is I'd rather just comply with their B.S. and get my permit quicker, and then I can fight to fix the laws in Hartford AFTER I'm lawfully allowed to carry in CT. I know I could still get the permit without being their monkey, but I'd rather have a positive relationship with the local PD (many of whom are Marines), and it's quicker this way. The reason I supplied my DD-214 is because the permit application that I was given demanded it. Not sure if that's new or not.

As far as being out of the Naval Service, I didn't want to leave, and I miss it, but it's time to move on to a new chapter in my life. Thank you for asking though.

rt1983

The fact they require NRA course has something to do with basic pistol handling and safety.
I guess you can be active military, not deployed, and never fire a pistol!?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Lol. I agree with you that I shouldn't have to jump through hoops not prescribed by law, but the way I see it, is I'd rather just comply with their B.S. and get my permit quicker, and then I can fight to fix the laws in Hartford AFTER I'm lawfully allowed to carry in CT. I know I could still get the permit without being their monkey, but I'd rather have a positive relationship with the local PD (many of whom are Marines), and it's quicker this way. The reason I supplied my DD-214 is because the permit application that I was given demanded it. Not sure if that's new or not.

As far as being out of the Naval Service, I didn't want to leave, and I miss it, but it's time to move on to a new chapter in my life. Thank you for asking though.

Ahhhh..most marines say they were in the Mens Dept. of the Navy lol ... I understand..you want your permit as soon as possible....

I myself am in no hurry ...and I was completely offended by some of their queries .. I just wrote Objection to each query of the board's questionnaire and filed an objection...to which the board agreed with almost all my objections. The DPS form is even more objectionable ... objected to all their questions too .. waiting for a ruling on that form. Why they need a DD-214? They don't. Even my local PD agreed with this ... so I'll see what happens ..

CTMarine87

LOL I was assigned to a unit that worked very closely with Naval Special Warfare, so I have a different perspective on the Marine Corps/Navy relationship than most Marine Infantrymen. I have the utmost respect for my brothers on the Blue side of the house. Not claiming I havent used the "Men's department" joke before (I probably over-abused it, actually), but my perspective changed when I worked with the SEALs and EOD guys.

The good news is... almost 11 weeks to the day after i applied for my CT Carry Permit, I got a letter from the Stratford PD saying that my temporary permit had arrived! Now I just have to wait until pay day to pick it up and go get my Permanent one at the troop G barracks.