• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with little kids question

Uber_Olafsun

Ok been OCing awhile but still feel new to the parent thing. I have a son who is just over a year old and wife is pregnant again (not planned at least by me). I was wondering what I some others have experienced as far as play groups outing etc with kids and carrying. The good thing is our best friends that live in our apartment complex know I carry and the wife as well and have no problem since he does business overseas and usually has armed guards as well as himself. So any young child nightmares I can expect?

NoTolerance

I'm sorry, but you're doing it wrong. You see, if you continue along this line of thought, the anti's can't gnash their teeth and rend their clothing while crying, "WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN??"

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

The little ones won't care, at least not until they're indoctrinated by hoplophobic parents. It's just like little black and white kids playing together, they don't care about skin color any more than they do hair color until someone teaches them that it matters.

Anyone taking any bets on how long till the firearm gets it's first "protein spill"?

Merlin

I've had largely good experiences in this context. In fact, I use the opportunity to recruit the other parents to the dark side.

Fwiw, I do try to make the other parents first exposure in a neutral setting, not in their home.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Uber_Olafsun

The little ones won't care, at least not until they're indoctrinated by hoplophobic parents. It's just like little black and white kids playing together, they don't care about skin color any more than they do hair color until someone teaches them that it matters.

Anyone taking any bets on how long till the firearm gets it's first "protein spill"?

Usually conceal when going to pick him up for that reason. Just put the shirt over clean up mess and uncover. One thing I did have to do is relocate the holster a little bit when I was carrying him since he was almost kicking it. I will have to get a picture with the new baby. My carrying with a baby in a bjorn walking my Pomeranian. If that doesn't scream terrorist nothing will.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Nothing from experience to contribute, but some thoughts on speaking with other parents -

there is a lot of paranoia out there about "stranger danger" and viscious dogs and global warming and all the other things that could hurt the children. Carrying a handgun addresses a significant number of the concerns and puts you in the role of Good Guy Wearing White Hat (GGWWH). While we may laugh amongst ourselves about "it's for the children" I think other parents can be led to seeing that as a serious, carefully thought out approach to daily life. There are several YouTube posters who have lots of videos covering everyrthing from where to carry the handgun to best accomodate carrying Junior to considering how the noise of gunfire might be mitigated without stuffing beans in the kids' ears before you shoot. Look for them and share them with the other parents. If nothing else it shows you are taking the matter seriously rather than just "doing your thing". Adds to the GGWWH picture other parents will see.

If the other parents bring the subject up, show them some of the videos on YouTube such as the mother that ran away when some guy tried to snatch her purse, leaving her child unprotected. The BG then made an attempt to take the kid. Scary stuff - let them come up with ways to protect the kid.

Show the other parent www.agirlandhergun.blogspot.com and have the read the first few posts where she explains what happened and why she started carrying. First-hand account with a lot of impact. GG*WWH in real life. (* Good Gal in this case)

If you cannot find trainers who are already offering family-defense courses that focus on how to/what to do when you are laden with kids, ASK! Tell them what sorts of situations you want to address and ask them to set up scenarios to run through until you find a few that you are comfortable with. Then invite the other parents to not only watch you running the scenario but to try it themselves (maybe with airsoft until they get comfortable with real guns?). More GGWWH stuff.

stay safe.

hermannr

Ok been OCing awhile but still feel new to the parent thing. I have a son who is just over a year old and wife is pregnant again (not planned at least by me). I was wondering what I some others have experienced as far as play groups outing etc with kids and carrying. The good thing is our best friends that live in our apartment complex know I carry and the wife as well and have no problem since he does business overseas and usually has armed guards as well as himself. So any young child nightmares I can expect?

If you OC with little children, and they trust you already, they will never become anti-carry, they will think it is normal. (which it should be) If you carry and the child asks why? Tell them you carry to protect them from those that would harm their mother or themselves.

Children have to be taught to fear a firearm. They should be taught, very very young, to respect a firearm, but never fear it.

BTW: A lot of parents do not backup what they tell their children, this is one area you must never flinch...absolutes are absolutes, and this is oneabsolute. They are never to touch your carry unless you are there and they ask...the best way to teach that is to give them something/somespace that is THIERS and THIERS alone...never violate that thing or space without THIER permission. Tell them your cary is like their special space/thing...

Another thing...if you ever promise them to go shooting...do it...do not filtch. Have them agree, that any time they want to shoot/handle or whatever, it is only with you, and then MAKE SURE you make that time available...
Raised 5 daughters, have 14 grandchildren now...it works.

Merlin

They are never to touch your carry unless you are there and they ask.

My approach to this is a bit different. My rule for them from very early was that they are not to touch it unless I put it in their hands. But if they ask, I unload it, and let them hold it. I also take them to the range as often as I can. I will also occasionally leave my holstered and unloaded firearm laying on the table, and see how they handle it. They don't even care. This has been very effective with my sons.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2