• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisville Open Carry..

Albright

I have been reading the KRS, but just need confirmation..I am being a bit paranoid. I am exiting the Army for medical reasons in September and moving back to my home town of Louisville, KY. I feel my family will be much safer with me carrying, since I remember parts of Louisville being bad...and crime spreading before I left for the army.

I want to OC and understand some places don't allow it, but I just want to make sure I understand this correctly..I can open carry with ammunition in the weapon, but not one in the chamber correct? Sorry if this has been answered in another section of the site...Thank you for your community and the support of OC'ing

Scott

09jisaac

Having an empty weapon (carrying one without a round in the chamber is similar to being empty) is completely pointless. In Kentucky all you need to do to carry a loaded handgun is: Don't be a prohibited person (less than 18yro, convicted felon, etc)

In short, carry however you want. As long as it is not concealed then you are not breaking any laws (as long as it isn't in a select few prohibited places). I would suggest carrying a full magazine with the chamber hot. Safety on if your weapon has one.

Albright

Thank you for the responses, I plan on carrying with one in the chamber since the information you told me. I carry a glock 22 40cal so I have no safety except the hair trigger safety pull.

I figured it had gotten worse, since going down town before was a flip of the coin to your safety.

Last edited: