• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kck oc????

Mr.40

Hi everyone. I'm new to the OC world and am loving this site. Just curious if there are any updates on KCK's ban of OC?

kcgunfan

It is not illegal to carry a gun on your person, CCW is promoted in KS. OC may be on the books as illegal, but UOC may be preempted, the jury is out on that. All of the fallout hasn't settled yet.

Mr. Cowboy, I see you make a lot of posts about carrying being illegal. Near as I can tell, you've been shot down every time. Are you a troll, or do you get your legal advice from the back of cereal boxes?

I think if I am correct, you cannot O.C. in KCK. It is illegal to carry a weapon on your person.

Edit: fixed Swypo

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Mr.40

I know CC is ok as I've been CC since 09, but I read in a forum that the process of fighting kcks illegal ban on open carry has been started..just curious if there's been any new news..

marine0300

Mr.40,

Thank you for inquiring on the status of challenging Wyandotte county and KCK open carry ban.

I can’t not get into specifics because we are working behind the scenes to overturn their ordinance.

Know this they have gone beyond state law and with Wichita and hopefully soon Overland Park changing to lawful open carry Wyandotte county won’t have a leg to stand on.

Only a matter of time.

We will keep you informed when we can.

Have a great week,

Marine0300

grimjack

Been carryin in KCK

I have been open carrying in KCKS on evening walks in my neighborhood. The PD are now taught that unloaded OC is legal, but that loaded is not. How they are going to know is beyond me, short of an illegal stop and seizure. I have had a few cruisers slow down as they pass by, and walked past a stop where there were 3 officers, but no one has said a word to me.
Grimjack

SixGunCowboy

Ordinances in Kansas

Things are changing..slowly. Wichita has finally overturned the ban on Open carry. I am hoping soon that Overland Park, KS, Roeland Park, KS, Leawood and Prairie Village, KS. are next. KCK has been illegal on Open Carry for a long time, I am hoping that changes soon too. In reference to kcgunfan, you can stop "shooting me down" as you put it. And no, I don't get my information from the back of a "cereal" box I think as you put it also.. I get my information from various sources (including this forum) for your information. Problem is, no one really knows the truth on such things.. sources vary on information.

grimjack

Only two sources that matter

Things are changing..slowly. Wichita has finally overturned the ban on Open carry. I am hoping soon that Overland Park, KS, Roeland Park, KS, Leawood and Prairie Village, KS. are next. KCK has been illegal on Open Carry for a long time, I am hoping that changes soon too. In reference to kcgunfan, you can stop "shooting me down" as you put it. And no, I don't get my information from the back of a "cereal" box I think as you put it also.. I get my information from various sources (including this forum) for your information. Problem is, no one really knows the truth on such things.. sources vary on information.

There are only two sources that matter when it comes to things that have been deemed illegal. The law itself, and following that, the ruling of a superior court. In Kansas the state law is remarkably clear about open carry, and also about the ability of inferior jurisdictions (county, city) to make laws that are more restrictive than the state law. They can't. Wichita changed their law because they recognized it was invalid, and I suspect there is some lawsuit talk as well. OP is considering it, and probably for the same reason. KCKS will wait until they are sued and lose before they even think about it, but that is what will happen eventually. We have another bonus for us in Kansas, and that is the recent (~ 2 years ago) amendment of our state constitution, to uphold and insure the 'individual' right to keep and bear arms for any lawful purpose.
The problem with the law is that many people don't know it, and are unwilling to take the time to actually look it up. Sadly this is true of many city / county/ district attorneys and judges as well.
The problem with being the one who wants to fight is, you are the one that has to fight it. I am willing to be the guy that get's arrested in KCKS, I will fight it. Not everyone may feel that way.
Grimjack