• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello everyone.

stephen92

I've been lurking these forums off and on for the past few months doing research about open carry and NC's laws pertaining to it. I've learned a great deal thanks, in a large part, to this site. I finally decided to register and I'd like to briefly introduce myself before asking questions. :D If you want, you can skip my introduction and go straight to the question. I won't be hurt.

My name is Stephen and I'm a rising junior at Campbell University double majoring in Chemistry/Biochemistry.
I was introduced to firearms when I purchased my first .22LR rifle about 2 years ago. Since then, I've expanded my collection a good bit. My latest purchase (well, my mom's purchase) was a Taurus 24/7 OSS .45acp and a Ruger P95. The Taurus is basically mine and will be transferred to me when I turn 21 and get my CCP. I've put well over 1000 rounds through it and I feel like I have a good grasp at shooting paper targets that don't move. I'm trying to get creative with my targets and make a friend/foe identification setup. My point from all of this is that I feel that I have a good basic understanding of firearms, but I have much room for improvement.

With that said, here is my question:
I recognize that I don't have an excellent training record, nor the money to afford a great training program. However, I would love to open carry and express my rights while being able to deter/defend against any potential criminals that might do me harm. My question is, what would you guys recommend me do in order to feel more confident about carrying my firearm? Another viewpoint on this question might be: would you even recommend me carrying my firearm?

Thanks for any advice you guys have to offer.

frogfish

Welcome!

Legally, you don't need a permit to OC. However, you should become very familiar with the laws and situations regarding OC in the state of NC.

cricketdad

I've been lurking these forums off and on for the past few months doing research about open carry and NC's laws pertaining to it. I've learned a great deal thanks, in a large part, to this site. I finally decided to register and I'd like to briefly introduce myself before asking questions. :D If you want, you can skip my introduction and go straight to the question. I won't be hurt.

My name is Stephen and I'm a rising junior at Campbell University double majoring in Chemistry/Biochemistry.
I was introduced to firearms when I purchased my first .22LR rifle about 2 years ago. Since then, I've expanded my collection a good bit. My latest purchase (well, my mom's purchase) was a Taurus 24/7 OSS .45acp and a Ruger P95. The Taurus is basically mine and will be transferred to me when I turn 21 and get my CCP. I've put well over 1000 rounds through it and I feel like I have a good grasp at shooting paper targets that don't move. I'm trying to get creative with my targets and make a friend/foe identification setup. My point from all of this is that I feel that I have a good basic understanding of firearms, but I have much room for improvement.

With that said, here is my question:
I recognize that I don't have an excellent training record, nor the money to afford a great training program. However, I would love to open carry and express my rights while being able to deter/defend against any potential criminals that might do me harm. My question is, what would you guys recommend me do in order to feel more confident about carrying my firearm? Another viewpoint on this question might be: would you even recommend me carrying my firearm?

Thanks for any advice you guys have to offer.

Welcome, your question boils down to "feel more confident". Practice and know your carry firearm. You have to have the mind set that if necessary you are willing to take a life. The last thing any of us wants is to have to pull the trigger.

stephen92

Welcome, your question boils down to "feel more confident". Practice and know your carry firearm. You have to have the mind set that if necessary you are willing to take a life. The last thing any of us wants is to have to pull the trigger.

Thanks. Honestly, I know I can pull the trigger if my life or any around me is in danger. I'm more worried about training and practice and would like some suggestions on what you guys would recommend.

nobama

Thanks. Honestly, I know I can pull the trigger if my life or any around me is in danger. I'm more worried about training and practice and would like some suggestions on what you guys would recommend.

Welcome. Some, if not all shooting ranges have some sort of first time training available. Thats what I would recomend just to get some confidence. Remember safety, safety safety.