• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Florida

sparkman2

I am getting to spend some time down in Florida and I was wondering what do I need to know about carrying a handgun while I am down there, especially transporting in a vehicle and where I can and cannot CC. I know FL is not an open carry state and this is an open carry forum, but I just want to make sure I don't get myself into trouble for not knowing the laws. I hold a VA CHP and I do not want to leave my weapon at home so I need a little help. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

sparkman2

I"ll just take a wild stab here and assume that VA and FL are reciprocal states.

In that case, here's the link to the Florida statutes on concealed carry....

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/790.06

AD

You are correct and thanks for you response. I hope that Florida will soon be added to the list of states that allows it's citizens to exercise their 2A rights to "bear arms" openly. I don't know whether you realize it or not but Florida is a very hot place to be in during the summer.:rolleyes: Sweat on the gun has a tendency to make it rust.

ADulay

I don't know whether you realize it or not but Florida is a very hot place to be in during the summer.:rolleyes: Sweat on the gun has a tendency to make it rust.
And that would be why I open carry on a daily basis, all within the Florida statutes, of course.

It's good to be retired and an active shooter.

AD

Rich7553

I'd also suggest that you visit www.handgunlaw.us and print out the pages (pdfs) for each state through which you plan on travelling. Carry them with you for easy reference. They summarize the pertinent statutes for each state and should do a good job of keeping you out of trouble.