• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police cant require proof of permit of OCer?

davidmcbeth

Banned
A drivers license and carry permit are exactly the same, one gives permission to drive on public roads, the other gives permission to carry a firearm for self defense.

Food vendors are required by law to show their license. So its different as they are engaged in commerce.

And I don't think I need "permission" to take measures for my own self protection nor to travel on public roads.

On the issue of requiring to show your permit to carry; in CT, they don't have the authority to just ask for no reason. Maybe your state is different.

Everybody in this country is covered under our constitution. White people, black people, people who have not committed crimes, people who have committed crimes. We have the right to free movement, are free to assemble, etc and unless a policeman can articulate a reason to stop you then we are free to decline any contact an go along our merry way. It is a very basic core right of our freedoms. Once exceptions are made to this then we are no longer free. First its because you are carrying a gun; then its because the color of your skin; then its simply because you are on this sidewalk; then its simply because you are breathing.

MKEgal

luckyykid said:
I've seen a couple posts here regarding the belief that LEOs cannot legally demand an OCer to show their permit.
It depends on the state law.

In the Wethersfield PD memo regarding OC, it says at the bottom that officers can require one show their permit if OCing. I spent a few hours searching the net for case law that supports or denies such a requirement, but i couldn't come up with anything.
Good for you! Have you tried asking the city attorney for the citations? Surely s/he was the one giving the legal conclusions upon which that memo is based.

the law says that someone may carry as long as they have a permit, so how is a LEO supposed to be able to determine if they are in compliance with that law without asking for a permit?
Do you have evidence that they don't have a permit?

From what I gather from the forum the understanding is that LEO cannot demand a permit, and if such demand is not complied with, LEOs have no grounds to arrest for interfering.
"Interfering"? Would that be like obstructing?
Here in WI we have a Supreme Court ruling (1995) that says:
"No law allows officers to arrest for obstruction on a person’s refusal to give his or her name. Mere silence is insufficient to constitute obstruction.
Henes v. Morrissey"

I think you'd have to prove that your initial demand for ID was lawful, was part of an investigation of a crime, in order for someone remaining silent (not showing ID) to somehow be obstruction.

The problem is, if LEOs are not allowed to require proof of permit, LEOs are forced to assumethat someone open carrying is permitted.
Even the FBI says that criminals don't carry openly & rarely use holsters.
[Here's PDFs of the study... IIRC the "criminals don't OC" conclusion is in ch 4.]
So it's probably safe to assume that the person you see carrying openly is not a criminal.
Now, if there are other indications that you have come to know are generally associated with criminal activity, those give you RAS to check the person out, esp. since they might have a probation condition saying they're not allowed to possess firearms.

hypothetically speaking, lets say that the gang members in the city catch wind of the open carry law, and that LEOs can't ask to see a permit. So they start open carrying their illegal stolen guns, and we as LEOs are just supposed to ignore it and assume they have a permit? That's the part I can't wrap my brain around.
It gets a bit harder, but you can still articulate your reasonable suspicion that a person has/is/will commit a crime. Do they show colors? Do they sag their pants? Are they in a known high-crime neighborhood? If they're not using a holster, that could be a marker. (It's certainly a safety concern!)

you are forcing LEOs to size up a person OCing by looking at the way they are dressed, how they walk/carry themselves, how their hair is cut, and what they are driving, and make a snap judgement of either A) law abiding citizen, or B) potentially dangerous person.
Which is what you do with everyone you meet.
Or should be.

Also, is anyone aware of any documentation/case law that specifically addresses whether or not a LEO can demand a permit?
Is anyone aware of documentation specifying that a LEO cannot require/demand proof of permit?
“The Claim and exercise of a Constitutional Right cannot be converted into a crime.”
Miller v. U.S.

“Stopping a car for no other reason than to check the license and registration was unreasonable under the 4th amendment.”
Delaware v. Prouse (1979)
[So stopping someone for doing another activity which requires a license, if it does in your jurisdiction, would similarly be illegal.]

“The mere presence of firearms does not create exigent circumstances.”
WI v. Kiekhefer (1997)

“Mr. St. John’s lawful possession of a loaded firearm in a crowded place could not, by itself, create a reasonable suspicion sufficient to justify an investigatory detention.”
St. John v. McColley

The Third Circuit found that an individual’s lawful possession of a firearm in a crowded place did not justify a search or seizure.
United States v. Ubiles (2000)

The Tenth Circuit found that an investigatory detention initiated by an officer after he discovered that the defendant lawfully possessed a loaded firearm lacked sufficient basis because the firearm alone did not create a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity.
United States v. King (1993)

I support the 2nd Amd and open carry for permittees.
It's a start. It'd be nice if you left off that last part, about rights only being for people with gov't permission... because then they're not rights.

luckyykid said:
I do think that if they knew they could OC freely and not get challenged by LEOs, they would OC, partly because it would alleviate the "suspicious behavior" one unconsciously exhibits when one is concealing an illegal gun and is afraid of being caught. I think it would be a sense of freedom for them.
I think they'd have to change a bleep of a lot more in order not to be suspicious.
Dress, mannerisms, where they hang out...

davidmcbeth said:
I don't sit there and talk with a policeman ... nothing to be gained only to lose.
If I know the person & we're just having coffee, that's one thing. But if it's someone trying to use his job-given powers to make my life difficult, no.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I

And before anyone slays me on a personal level, please rememeber that I support the 2nd Amd and open carry for permittees. However, I wouldn't be a very good cop if I didn't have an interest in protecting the public from gun-toting thugs who collectively commit numerous homicides every year in CT.

But you can only perform your job activities as the legislature has determined. The law is that you have no authority to demand a permit to be presented if that's all you observe. Detaining someone for just a refusal now puts you in the position of breaking the law. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. So use judgement when you want to detain someone ... the probability of you getting sued is much higher for people who carry v. general population in respect to unlawful detainment. So you should welcome being "slayed" here rather in court. You posted the thread looking for information ... hopefully you have more information than you had before regarding your desire or need to make an informed decision when you will ask someone for their permit.

Better to ask ! I have avoided misinterpretations of statues by posting here as well. Some amount of flaming is inevitable ... it is the internet, right?

Last edited:

DocWalker

This is a good thread with great information and views.

I do believe the only permit that should be required for OC in all states should be the Constitution, more specific the 2A. That being said we need to get you state changed as it is a right and shouldn't require a license to do something covered under the Consitution.

Do you have to get a permit or license to use your 1A rights?

Do you have to get a permit or licnese to us your 4A rights or can the cops just search you if you are not a pemit holder?

Do you have to get a permit or license to remain silent under 5A or can the goverment/LE require you to answer any question if you don't have a license?

I could go on but the idea is the same, why is it only the 2A that requires anything special in any state?

KBCraig

One would assume you're right. When I was in college for criminal justice, the teacher told us that during one semester he actually had a "high-ranking" member of a gang enrolled in criminal and constitutional law classes. The student told him flat out he was taking the classes to learn how to beat the cops at the law. So the possibility exists that persons who would carry a firearm with ill-intent would learn of the law, and OC freely knowing an officer could not challenge him on the gun.

It's been reported that street gangs recruited youngsters and made them live straight and low-profile, so they could join the military and learn valuable skills about weapons, explosives, and tactics. Being low profile means staying low profile; the clean carrier can't engage in criminal activity, or they would quickly be a prohibited person.

Fallschirjmäger

That some gang-members were kept from participating in high risk pursuits where conviction and incarceration might result I don't doubt at all, but I doubt it went anywhere beyond "Yo, mang, you isn't going wid us on this one, you need a clean record. After you get out of boot camp, you're gonna be our contact at the ammo supply point, diggit?"

I have a certain skepticism about a story where someone is made to live a good life; not to lie, cheat, steal, to not get into trouble, to live a good, wholesome life ..... just so that after they've learned how to do that they can become a gangsta.
Does the opposite work as well? Can you raise someone to be a thug, a drug addict, a shoplifter, grifter, thief, and then say "okay, now that you've learned all that, you're prepared to become a well spoken, articulate, church going, productive member of society?

Last edited:

Steinmetzify

I didn't read any of the posts after yours, because you asked for opinions. I'll go back after I give mine to finish the topic.

The part for me that fits is the part you stated you can't wrap your head around; 'innocent until proven guilty'. NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

For no other reason than this is what protects innocent men from going to prison more often than not, given a fair and speedy trial of their peers. I realize that in your situation as a LEO, you would have problems operating this way and indeed, doing so might get you killed. However, what you're doing IS profiling. I'm educated, employed, make a great deal of money, drive an expensive truck and live in a nice area. But I didn't always, and came from a lower class area. A lot of friends still live there and I spend a lot of time there, and at first glance could be mistaken for a banger. I wear a lot of blue, have a foot long red goatee and a lot of tats. I also have a college degree and know my rights. If you rolled up on me and expected me to roll over for you because you're a police officer and the only reason you stopped me at all was because of what you thought about the way I look and the fact that I'm wearing a gun, we'd have a serious problem.

The same 'innocent until proven guilty' works in reverse sometimes and keeps criminals out when they should be going in, but until someone devises a better system, this is going to have to do; no other way to keep innocent people free than to place burden of proof on the prosecution.

Stay safe, Officer. Back to finish the topic...I'm interested in what other people wrote. Good luck.

LQM

"So, what are your thoughts on this law enforcement dilemma?"

Yours is a difficult position indeed. As many of the replies have stated, until you can specify a reason for inquiring then there is not much for you to do. It sucks I'm sure, being in your position. There is much legal precedent limiting your power as a state functionary. That is not to say you are powerless in your duties, but only that it has it's limits.

luckyykid

I wish that I could comment on every post here, but obviously that would take more time than I have. But collectively, thanks to all for the input. There are certainly many issues, and many different points-of-view that I haven't considered.

Seems the law is on your side on this one. I plan to follow up on many of the cases that people have posted here.

It's just an unfortunate truth that many criminals benefit from many of our laws today. I'm not suggesting that the laws be changed, because I wouldn't want to forfeit my own rights because criminals benefit from it. It's just a reflection of where our country has gone from when it was founded. Our founding fathers were God-fearing men of valor, and the Constitution reflects that. It was meant to govern a moral society, which unfortunately is more and more lacking as time goes on. But i agree that doesn't mean anything should be changed. As Rich said, just makes a LEOs job harder/more complicated.

Thanks again to everyone who posted.

luckyykid

From a risk/benefit aspect, I think one is superior to the other. Especially since we all know that a permit means nothing, nor do any answers to any questions we might give you. There is nothing specifically to stop a sociopath or psychopath from possessing a firearm, possessing a permit, talking sweet to any LEO, etc. And detaining them and letting them go after shaking them down for their permit does not guarantee anything with regards to whether or not they will walk away from your detainment and go commit some heinous act. That is just the nature of the reality we live in.

You made a lot of great points Rich, but I think this resonates with me the most. Really hadn't thought of it that way, but you're absolutely right.

luckyykid

"Most difficult job"? Its a pretty nice job. I could list many many jobs that are harder. You have been brainwashed my friend. Not saying that they are lazy ... just that there are harder jobs.

And "honor and integrity" - I would say most people perform their job duties in such a manner, so that means nothing special.

Police departments are just one big tax machine .. we have to many policemen and they get paid way to much IMO. People watch to many movies.

If the job was hard, the voluntary resignation rate for the job would be high ... I don't see this.

I'll keep that in mind next time i'm chasing an armed robber through the projects in the middle of the night...

Fallschirjmäger

I'll just leave this here.
2009DeadliestJobsUSA.png

The guy who wakes me at 5:45 to sling my garbage can into the truck has a job that's twice as deadly as being a police officer.
There's perceived danger, and there's actual danger.

I'm still pretty tight with a lot of military guys, and you know what? I've NEVER heard one of them make any special pleading about 'how dangerous my job is.' You knew the job was "dangerous" when you took it, so suck it up.

Last edited:

Maine Expat

"Most difficult job"? Its a pretty nice job. I could list many many jobs that are harder. You have been brainwashed my friend. Not saying that they are lazy ... just that there are harder jobs.

And "honor and integrity" - I would say most people perform their job duties in such a manner, so that means nothing special.

Police departments are just one big tax machine .. we have to many policemen and they get paid way to much IMO. People watch to many movies.

If the job was hard, the voluntary resignation rate for the job would be high ... I don't see this.

Um. ok. Thanks for the civics lesson dave.

davidmcbeth

Banned

The guy who wakes me at 5:45 to sling my garbage can into the truck has a job that's twice as deadly as being a police officer.

I'm still pretty tight with a lot of military guys, and you know what? I've NEVER heard one of them make any special pleading about 'how dangerous my job is.' You knew the job was "dangerous" when you took it, so suck it up.

And this information is just from one year .. look at data over 10 yrs and policemen are not even on the radar ...

luckyykid

2009DeadliestJobsUSA.png

1) I never said i had the most dangerous job.
2) I didn't complain about it

Have you ever told your military buddies they didn't have a hard job? I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate that either, regardless if they complain or not.

Skinnedknuckles

Seems to me, it is one of those cases where our general "fear of firearms" leads to even having to ask the question. The car analogy is a good one, just "hard to get your head around" since we don't automatically perceive to be dangerous.

I spend part of the year in NC as well. NC law says I must tell any police officer I "interact" with that I am carrying concealed and have a permit (if I am carrying concealed). But otherwise NC is a "don't have to show identification" state and if I OC I don't have to give ID or even say I have a permit unless I'm detained, since in NC no permit is required to OC.

So it comes back to "if the law says I must, then I must" but if the law is silent don't try to make it up on the spot. As another poster stated, if politely asked if I have a permit I probably would admit that I do, but if the conversation started with a demand to show a permit I might decide to clam up. But that should be my choice, not the officer's.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Seems to me, it is one of those cases where our general "fear of firearms" leads to even having to ask the question. The car analogy is a good one, just "hard to get your head around" since we don't automatically perceive to be dangerous.

I spend part of the year in NC as well. NC law says I must tell any police officer I "interact" with that I am carrying concealed and have a permit (if I am carrying concealed). But otherwise NC is a "don't have to show identification" state and if I OC I don't have to give ID or even say I have a permit unless I'm detained, since in NC no permit is required to OC.

So it comes back to "if the law says I must, then I must" but if the law is silent don't try to make it up on the spot. As another poster stated, if politely asked if I have a permit I probably would admit that I do, but if the conversation started with a demand to show a permit I might decide to clam up. But that should be my choice, not the officer's.

You'll be telling either way I think...

KennyB

Like i've said elsewhere on the forum, I work as a LEO in a large inner-city environment where there is drug and gang activity. Gunshots are fired literally every day somewhere in the city (not always resulting in a person struck), and we had somewhere in the ballpark of 150 persons shot last year (non-fatal.) Obviously we had double-digit fatalities too from gun violence. So gun violence is definately a problem for us and the public we serve. Now hypothetically speaking, lets say that the gang members in the city catch wind of the open carry law, and that LEOs can't ask to see a permit. So they start open carrying their illegal stolen guns, and we as LEOs are just supposed to ignore it and assume they have a permit? That's the part I can't wrap my brain around.

While I can certainly understand the added stress working in a "high crime" urban enviroment, using this as an excuse for ID'ing anyone or simply detaining them for open carrying is wrong. I've NEVER seen or read about a banger or drug dealer getting arrested because they were OC'ing a firearm illegally. In fact i'll bet that 99.9% of OC'ers are doing so legally. Most people stopped by LE for OC'ing are stopped because of a MWAG call or because an officer observes them OC'ing.

I understand you must respond to every MWAG call, that's really not an issue with me. BUT, when LE responds and overreacts by swooping in with a half dozen units, closing off streets and parking lots (like have happen to some here) and arresting an OC'er for BOP or whatever they can come up with, you can understand the stress WE HAVE by simply going about our daily lives while OC'ing. Correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't permit holders be THE LAST people gaining the attention of LEO's?? We have to be trained, then vetted by how many different agencies to aquire our permits? And still, I continue to see overreaction by LE for someone doing something perfectly legal.

You have to look at it from BOTH sides, like you said. We continue to be treated like "potential" criminals and until that stops you'll continue seeing posts by people who have had bad experiences with LE. I myself, so far have had no bad experiences for OC'ing but i've been lucky compared to some here. Hopefully as more and more LEO's are educated to the legality of OC in CT, these bad encounters will become a thing of the past. Thanks for posting and it would be great if more LEO's were posting on the site. Stay safe.

Last edited: