• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

required to present ID

SteelyAaron

Thanks, I'm not concerned about anyones problem with my question. I did not ask the question for a yes or no answer it was also for the conversation/views that come with the answer. That's What makes some forums so great.

Oh yea, Loving the videos Motofixxer

Last edited:

Motofixxer

When they stop you as you walk away, they are basically saying they have RAS...if correct or not.

Not really clear. Depends more on how they stop you. If they physically stop you then definitely. But if they just keep yelling hey buddy kinda thing trying to get you to turn around for a consensual conversation then no. One of the key factors is, do you or would a reasonable person feel restrained and not free to go. For that they need to have RAS. One thing to keep in mind is make a statement like "state the crime I'm a suspect of, if you can't I will presume there is none and act accordingly", or "if I'm the suspect of a Real crime, then I will comply, otherwise I bid you good day"...then walk away.

But again, anything you may read is not legal advice, for that you need to see a Bar Associate in your locale.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Like KYGlockster, my DL stays in the car, with my registration and proof of insurance. My CCDW stays in my wallet anytime I'm CC. I usually leave all ID in the car when I'm OC, but will admit that I forget sometimes. If some LEO wants to dig in my pockets for it, its just one more violation for my complaint, whether he finds one or not.
I always cut out the bottoms of my pockets, just in case they want to stick their hands in.

KBCraig

Like KYGlockster, my DL stays in the car, with my registration and proof of insurance. My CCDW stays in my wallet anytime I'm CC. I usually leave all ID in the car when I'm OC, but will admit that I forget sometimes. If some LEO wants to dig in my pockets for it, its just one more violation for my complaint, whether he finds one or not.

When you travel, don't forget that different states have different requirements. If you carry (concealed, of course) in Texas, for instance, you must have both your concealed carry license and state-issued ID or DL.