Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is going to rile and ruffle feathers!

This is going to rile and ruffle feathers!

I need some honest opinions here! I know were only supposed to talk about open carry and not about cc. I know there are going to be several people who tar and feather me for asking this question, but I carry EVERYWHERE with the exception of work and church. I am tired of taking my firearm off when I go to church and am thinking about carrying at church also. I would however cc in church as not to get the little old ladies's panties in a bunch. Has anyone in here ever carried in church and how did it go? Or am I a horrible person for thinking about being able to protect myself in church? Sorry for this thread being off-topic, but I don't know where else to turn but you well-educated in the art of carrying. Thanks for your patience and help!

Joel

We talk about CC here all the time. Even though OC is the topic, CC is a legal reality in many cases, and the laws can make CC preferable in some cases (except for having to have a license, that is).

Are you licensed? Is church carry legal in Iowa? If your answers are "yes, and yes", then carry away!

Edit to add: there is nothing that is profane, immoral, or sinful within church, that isn't profane, immoral, or sinful outside the church.

I believe one of the greatest affronts we could give to God would be allowing His children to be slaughtered without acting to stop it.
    Last edited by KBCraig; 08-03-2012 at 10:26 PM.

I OC a lot in my goings about. And I'll say I prefer it that way. There are some places where I CC out of deference to others. Church is one place I CC. No problems and in fact there are a number at my church that do. It is a comfort to me to know others are likeminded on this. Just do it if it is legal for you where you live.

Banned
    I think churches have been the source of many wars and killings. They should be used to weapons by now.

Security guard who stopped shooter credits God

December 10, 2007, source;CNN

Jeanne Assam, a volunteer security guard at New Life Church, speaks to reporters on Monday.

"It seemed like it was me, the gunman, and God," said Jeanne Assam, describing her feelings as she confronted a man who charged into her Colorado Springs church Sunday firing a weapon.

Assam, a church security guard with law enforcement experience, fired her own weapon at the invader and stopped his attack, police say.

;http://articles.cnn.com/2007-12-10/u...sings?_s=PM:US

I guess you have got your answer....as long as it is legal, carry on.
    Be safe, be prepared, and carry on!

Alle Ihre Basisstation jetzt zu uns gehören

Be thankful we aren't in a state that believes it can ban carry in churches (what the hell happened to SHALL MAKE NO LAW RESPECTING AN ESTABLISHMENT OF RELIGION?).
    I conceal in church also. I didn't get any comments (if anyone even noticed) when I forgot to pull a shirt over it once.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your insite! I certainly will start carrying to church also!

Quote Originally Posted by opencarryjoel View Post
    Thanks everyone for your insite! I certainly will start carrying to church also!
    As an atheist, the only time I enter church is to drop off or pick up the family. And I open carry every time. I know for a fact that a couple of fellow 2A activists attend that church, and OC there as well. Nothing has ever been said, and no issues have ever come up.

Feathers neither riled or ruffled. :-)
    Last edited by Tucker6900; 08-07-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I don't go to church, but the only person I personal know who attends "religiously" doesn't own a gun because they believe God will protect them unless it is God's will for them to be shot. It makes sense if you follow the belief that all things happen by His will.

By that reasoning I can understand why someone would be offended by someone else bringing a gun to church.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    I don't go to church, but the only person I personal know who attends "religiously" doesn't own a gun because they believe God will protect them unless it is God's will for them to be shot. It makes sense if you follow the belief that all things happen by His will.

By that reasoning I can understand why someone would be offended by someone else bringing a gun to church.
    In the perfect world, someone else's offense to anothers exercise of their rights shouldn't result in the loss of rights exercised, but we know that isn't the case.

+1 to the carry if it's legal crowd. Churches are no more secure than any other place.

... the only person I personal know who attends "religiously" doesn't own a gun because they believe God will protect them unless it is God's will for them to be shot.....
    So they don't wear their selt belt, either. And they can run with scissors. Etc.

Did they ever think that God's will was to give us the means to learn how to protect ourselves? God did a lot of fighting for the Israelites. In order to do so, He also often had them be the ones swinging the swords.

I hate that song "Jesus Take the Wheel." Dumbass! Jesus wants you to put your hands on the wheel and fix whatever you got yourself into. He'll only help if you are trying to help yourself and then just to take up whatever is beyond that which you can bear.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

God helps those that help themselves.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

churches are not immune from violence

You may have seen on the national news that there's been another church shooting here in SE Wisconsin.
    It was Sunday morning in a southern suburb of Milwaukee (Oak Creek), at a Sikh temple.
    6 dead, many wounded, 3 (including 1 cop) in serious condition in the hospital.

The cop was shot 8 or 9 times, & his vest stopped 2 more shots.
    Then as other officers arrived, he told them not to stop for him, to go into the temple & find the shooter.
    At least a couple of them didn't listen, getting him to a car & a hospital right away.

One of the worshippers who died attacked the murderer with a butter knife (the only thing that was handy), which distracted him & gave other people more time to get away.

The neo-nazi racist bigoted white supremicist skinhead was shot & killed by responding officers.
    That's about the only good thing to come of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

At my families church, one might wonder what that bulge is under Pastors shirt?

TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

So far so good!

Carried last sunday and all went well, put it on when I got up as I always do, as I got out of the truck, looked up and the pastor smiled and said good morning! I covered it and when I got out of church went to shake hands with the pastor and he says I'm glad to see both of you today and winked! , I got back to the truck I uncovered it again and went on with my day! A great day! And I felt better than other sundays I have went! Thanks everybody for your comments and support!

The following is a quote to end all quotes,,, and I quote...

"If The Lightening Is Meant To Hit The Barn, There Ain't A Thing That I Can Do About It."

So, y'all had best be ready, 'cause Lightnin' strikes when you least expect it to, so be loaded for bear and ready to rumble
    Last edited by scott58dh; 08-12-2012 at 10:43 PM.

[QUOTE=twoskinsonemanns;1803356]I don't go to church, but the only person I personal know who attends "religiously" doesn't own a gun because they believe God will protect them unless it is God's will for them to be shot. It makes sense if you follow the belief that all things happen by His will.QUOTE]

Perhaps it will be you, twoskins, who God chooses to use to protect that person because God did not want that person to be shot! Think of that.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmodavis View Post
    Perhaps it will be you, twoskins, who God chooses to use to protect that person because God did not want that person to be shot! Think of that.
    Well I suppose when a stranger rescues someones child by killing the bad guy they were sent by God to protect the child, if the stranger was not there to save the child and the child is subjected to unspeakable acts of depravity and murdered then I guess God works in mysterious ways......
    Last edited by twoskinsonemanns; 08-13-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

This list was made in '09, so there have been more since then I'm sure. Don't forget the Sikh temple.

---------------------------------------

March 8, 2009 - Maryville, Illinois - Suspect Terry Joe Sedlacek, 27, of Troy, walks into the First Baptist Church, and shoots pastor Fred Winters dead, point blank. Several church members are injured by a knife in the struggle to capture after the attack, The suspect also had stabbed himelf, but survived, when his gun jams.

Feb. 18, 2009 - Garden Grove, California - A man walks into the internationally known Crystal Cathedral, hands a greeter a note, then kneels in front of a cross and shoots himself in the head, leaving him dead at the altar.

July 27, 2008 - Knoxville, Tennessee - A gunman opens fire in a church during a youth performance, killing two people and injuring seven.

Dec. 9, 2007 - Colorado - Three people are killed and five wounded in two shooting rampages, one at a missionary school in suburban Denver and one at a church in Colorado Springs. The gunman in the second incident is killed by a guard.

May 20, 2007 - Moscow, Idaho - A standoff between police and a suspect in the shootings of three people in a Presbyterian Church ended with three dead, including one police officer.

Aug. 12, 2007 - Neosho, Missouri - First Congregational Church - 3 killed - Eiken Elam Saimon shot and killed the pastor and two deacons and wounded five others.

Oct. 2, 2006 - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania - Attack by a gunman who killed five girls and then himself, while not a church, occurs at an Amish school targeted a religious site.

May 21, 2006 - Baton Rouge, Louisiana - The Ministry of Jesus Christ Church - 4 killed - The four at the church who were shot were members of Erica Bell's family; she was abducted and murdered elsewhere; Bell's mother, church pastor Claudia Brown, was seriously wounded - Anthony Bell, 25, was the shooter.

Feb. 26, 2006 - Detroit, Michigan - Zion Hope Missionary Baptist Church - 2 killed + shooter - Kevin L. Collins, who reportedly went to the church looking for his girlfriend, later killed himself.

April 9, 2005 - College Park, Georgia - A 27-year-old airman died after being shot at a church, where he had once worked as a security guard.

March 12, 2005 - Brookfield, Wisconsin - Living Church of God - 7 killed + shooter - Terry Ratzmann opened fire on the congregation, killing seven and wounding four before taking his own life.

July 30, 2005 - College Park, Georgia - World Changers Church International - shooter killed - Air Force Staff Sgt. John Givens was shot five times by a police officer after charging the officer, following violent behavior.

Dec. 17, 2004, Garden Grove, Calif.: A veteran musician at the Crystal Cathedral shoots himself to death after a nine-hour standoff.

Oct. 5, 2003 - Atlanta, Georgia - Turner Monumental AME Church - 2 killed + shooter - Shelia Wilson walked into the church while preparations are being made for service and shot the pastor, her mother and then herself.

June 10, 2002 - Conception, Missouri - Benedictine monastery - 2 killed + shooter - Lloyd Robert Jeffress shot four monks in the monastery killing two and wounding two, before killing himself.

March 12, 2002 - Lynbrook, New York - Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church - 2 killed - Peter Troy, a former mental patient, opens fire during Mass, killing the priest and a parishioner. He later receives a life sentence.

May 18, 2001 - Hopkinsville, Kentucky - Greater Oak Missionary Baptist Church - 2 killed - Frederick Radford stood up in the middle of a revival service and began shooting at his estranged wife, Nicole Radford, killing her and a woman trying to help her.

Nov. 1, 2000, Kansas City: The wife of a minister fatally shoots her daughter and then herself.

Sept. 15, 1999 - Fort Worth, Texas - Wedgewood Baptist Church - 7 killed + shooter - Larry Gene Ashbrook shot dead seven people and injured a further seven at a concert by Christian rock group Forty Days in Fort Worth, Texas before killing himself.

April 15, 1999 - Salt Lake City, Utah - LDS Church Family History Library - 2 killed + shooter - Sergei Babarin, 70, with a history of mental illness, entered the library, killed two people and wounded four others before he was gunned down by police.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

I open Carry at church, nobody says a thing. Haven't tried it at our youngest daughter's FIL's (he is the pastor) congregation in Cedar Rapids, It's lot bigger church than our rural one but I don't see where it would be a problem.

If you are questioning the morality of carrying a firearm in your place of worship, might I suggest looking toward the Bible to guide you. You may be interested in reading Luke 22:36. It's the default position of many to believe that Jesus was a fairly passive person, unwilling to use lethal force in defense of ones own self or loved ones many also believe he wouldn't hesitate to take life when evil threatened the righteous.

Now, I do not know if you are a Christian person, I would hate to assume anything of the sort , but this Christian perspective is what I know and is what I have to draw from; I hope this helps.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Cool I don't have a sword.

I did read Luke 22:36. That is when I finally decided to start carrying. I do consider myself a christian, although I am always in desperate need of forgivemess. I do not however have a sword as the passaghe mentioned, but then again they didn't have model 32 glocks chambered in the .357 sig round either. So thats what my sword is going to be. Thanks everyone. Everyone please continue your opinions and comments even thought I have reached my decision. I do appreciate your input!!
    Last edited by opencarryjoel; 08-25-2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: misspelled words

Wasn't Gaston Glock one of God's creations and then by extension the Glock line?
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast