• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is going to rile and ruffle feathers!

twoskinsonemanns

Perhaps it will be you, twoskins, who God chooses to use to protect that person because God did not want that person to be shot! Think of that.

Well I suppose when a stranger rescues someones child by killing the bad guy they were sent by God to protect the child, if the stranger was not there to save the child and the child is subjected to unspeakable acts of depravity and murdered then I guess God works in mysterious ways......

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
This list was made in '09, so there have been more since then I'm sure. Don't forget the Sikh temple.

---------------------------------------

March 8, 2009 - Maryville, Illinois - Suspect Terry Joe Sedlacek, 27, of Troy, walks into the First Baptist Church, and shoots pastor Fred Winters dead, point blank. Several church members are injured by a knife in the struggle to capture after the attack, The suspect also had stabbed himelf, but survived, when his gun jams.

Feb. 18, 2009 - Garden Grove, California - A man walks into the internationally known Crystal Cathedral, hands a greeter a note, then kneels in front of a cross and shoots himself in the head, leaving him dead at the altar.

July 27, 2008 - Knoxville, Tennessee - A gunman opens fire in a church during a youth performance, killing two people and injuring seven.

Dec. 9, 2007 - Colorado - Three people are killed and five wounded in two shooting rampages, one at a missionary school in suburban Denver and one at a church in Colorado Springs. The gunman in the second incident is killed by a guard.

May 20, 2007 - Moscow, Idaho - A standoff between police and a suspect in the shootings of three people in a Presbyterian Church ended with three dead, including one police officer.

Aug. 12, 2007 - Neosho, Missouri - First Congregational Church - 3 killed - Eiken Elam Saimon shot and killed the pastor and two deacons and wounded five others.

Oct. 2, 2006 - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania - Attack by a gunman who killed five girls and then himself, while not a church, occurs at an Amish school targeted a religious site.

May 21, 2006 - Baton Rouge, Louisiana - The Ministry of Jesus Christ Church - 4 killed - The four at the church who were shot were members of Erica Bell's family; she was abducted and murdered elsewhere; Bell's mother, church pastor Claudia Brown, was seriously wounded - Anthony Bell, 25, was the shooter.

Feb. 26, 2006 - Detroit, Michigan - Zion Hope Missionary Baptist Church - 2 killed + shooter - Kevin L. Collins, who reportedly went to the church looking for his girlfriend, later killed himself.

April 9, 2005 - College Park, Georgia - A 27-year-old airman died after being shot at a church, where he had once worked as a security guard.

March 12, 2005 - Brookfield, Wisconsin - Living Church of God - 7 killed + shooter - Terry Ratzmann opened fire on the congregation, killing seven and wounding four before taking his own life.

July 30, 2005 - College Park, Georgia - World Changers Church International - shooter killed - Air Force Staff Sgt. John Givens was shot five times by a police officer after charging the officer, following violent behavior.

Dec. 17, 2004, Garden Grove, Calif.: A veteran musician at the Crystal Cathedral shoots himself to death after a nine-hour standoff.

Oct. 5, 2003 - Atlanta, Georgia - Turner Monumental AME Church - 2 killed + shooter - Shelia Wilson walked into the church while preparations are being made for service and shot the pastor, her mother and then herself.

June 10, 2002 - Conception, Missouri - Benedictine monastery - 2 killed + shooter - Lloyd Robert Jeffress shot four monks in the monastery killing two and wounding two, before killing himself.

March 12, 2002 - Lynbrook, New York - Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church - 2 killed - Peter Troy, a former mental patient, opens fire during Mass, killing the priest and a parishioner. He later receives a life sentence.

May 18, 2001 - Hopkinsville, Kentucky - Greater Oak Missionary Baptist Church - 2 killed - Frederick Radford stood up in the middle of a revival service and began shooting at his estranged wife, Nicole Radford, killing her and a woman trying to help her.

Nov. 1, 2000, Kansas City: The wife of a minister fatally shoots her daughter and then herself.

Sept. 15, 1999 - Fort Worth, Texas - Wedgewood Baptist Church - 7 killed + shooter - Larry Gene Ashbrook shot dead seven people and injured a further seven at a concert by Christian rock group Forty Days in Fort Worth, Texas before killing himself.

April 15, 1999 - Salt Lake City, Utah - LDS Church Family History Library - 2 killed + shooter - Sergei Babarin, 70, with a history of mental illness, entered the library, killed two people and wounded four others before he was gunned down by police.

hermannr

I open Carry at church, nobody says a thing. Haven't tried it at our youngest daughter's FIL's (he is the pastor) congregation in Cedar Rapids, It's lot bigger church than our rural one but I don't see where it would be a problem.

Nevada carrier

If you are questioning the morality of carrying a firearm in your place of worship, might I suggest looking toward the Bible to guide you. You may be interested in reading Luke 22:36. It's the default position of many to believe that Jesus was a fairly passive person, unwilling to use lethal force in defense of ones own self or loved ones many also believe he wouldn't hesitate to take life when evil threatened the righteous.

Now, I do not know if you are a Christian person, I would hate to assume anything of the sort , but this Christian perspective is what I know and is what I have to draw from; I hope this helps.

opencarryjoel

I don't have a sword.

I did read Luke 22:36. That is when I finally decided to start carrying. I do consider myself a christian, although I am always in desperate need of forgivemess. I do not however have a sword as the passaghe mentioned, but then again they didn't have model 32 glocks chambered in the .357 sig round either. So thats what my sword is going to be. Thanks everyone. Everyone please continue your opinions and comments even thought I have reached my decision. I do appreciate your input!!

Last edited:

Phoenix David

I don't go to church, but the only person I personal know who attends "religiously" doesn't own a gun because they believe God will protect them unless it is God's will for them to be shot. It makes sense if you follow the belief that all things happen by His will.

By that reasoning I can understand why someone would be offended by someone else bringing a gun to church.

Wasn't Gaston Glock one of God's creations and then by extension the Glock line? :D

opencarryjoel

Why yes he was.

Yes I suppose he was. Never thought about it that way! Glocks being part of God's extended creations should be welcome in church. Nice to know! :banana: