Thread: Center Of The State

Center Of The State

I was trying to think of a place to have a picnic that would be centrally located and came up with Alma. The only problem is they have a park rule that states

"No person shall use, carry or possess firearms of any description (including BB guns, bow and arrows, and slingshots), except as a part of planned and supervised recreational activity approved by the city manager."
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

If it is a municipal, county, or state park it is unenforceable. Feel free to carry OC or CC. It happens all the time that we carry into places that have illegal anti-carry rules.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Perfect place. Their park rule is invalid per MCL 123.1102. Feel free to ignore the rule.

Banned
    Although Alma is about the geographical center of the state, the center of the state as far as population density, of OCers is likely farther to the southeast.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Although Alma is about the geographical center of the state, the center of the state as far as population density, of OCers is likely farther to the southeast.
    I'd wager Lansing (maybe Howell), which is why we held our annual meeting in Ingham County.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    I was trying to think of a place to have a picnic that would be centrally located and came up with Alma. The only problem is they have a park rule that states

"No person shall use, carry or possess firearms of any description (including BB guns, bow and arrows, and slingshots), except as a part of planned and supervised recreational activity approved by the city manager."
    I'd wager a guess the average person would not want to drive more than an hour for 3-4 hour picnic. Being that Alma is over 2 hours from metro Detroit, you can expect almost no attendance from that area. That isn't to say you shouldn't have it there, just an observation. Thanks for stepping up and planning a picnic though, we need more of that!