• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

50 state open carry reference chart?

Hevymetal

Looking for a chart the show what states it's ok to OC/CC with/without a MI CPL. Also what areas are on/off limits with/without the CPL?

My Google foo is weak this morning.

Found the OC Map here
http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html

But looking for a Excel type chart with the info.

stainless1911

Banned
Permitless Vehicle Carry

Alaska
Arizona
California .............................Unloaded and in plain veiw
Colorado
Delaware ............................. Plain view
Florida
Georgia
Idaho ...................................Not concealed in city, must be OC unless unloaded
Kansas ................................. Plain View but no preemption
Kentucky
Louisianna
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska ................................plain view
Nevada
New Mexico
North Carolina .....................Plain view
Oregon ............................... Plain Veiw
South Carolina....................... Concealed, and in specified locations in the vehicle
South Dakota .......................Plain veiw
Texas Concealed
Utah................Your vehicle, or with consent
Vermont
West Virginia ..............................Residents Only, plain view
Wyoming..........................Not CC on person

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
I made this list for when Yance and I went to my rep to ask for Michigan to become permit less for vehicle carry.

Once all the info is compiled, we should submit it to the various states for accuracy, proof it, and then submit it to OCDO.

Raggs

I made this list for when Yance and I went to my rep to ask for Michigan to become permit less for vehicle carry.

Once all the info is compiled, we should submit it to the various states for accuracy, proof it, and then submit it to OCDO.

Sounds almost like a plan that, let me know how i can help

Hevymetal

Started on a list, starting being the emphasis here.
Referencing things as it relates to MI residents.

Since I can't post a file here I'll maintain the list offsite. Here's a link to what I've got thus far.

http://www.rencomp.com/50_State_OC_Chart_V03.xlsx

Excel 07 format if anyone wants to help fill in the blanks that would be cool. I'll work more in my spare time and compile what I can into the master document.

If you think of additional fields to add let me know.

PM me and I'll give you an email to send the updates to and I'll add them to the master file and update it.

Change Log:
.01 Initial form creation.
.02 Updated Chart with more info
.03 Updated Chart with more info

Last edited:

Raggs

Started on a list, starting being the emphasis here.
Referencing things as it relates to MI residents.

Since I can't post a file here I'll maintain the list offsite. Here's a link to what I've got thus far.

http://www.rencomp.com/50_State_OC_Chart_V01.xlsx

Excel 07 format if anyone wants to help fill in the blanks that would be cool. I'll work more in my spare time and compile what I can into the master document.

If you think of additional fields to add let me know.

PM me and I'll give you an email to send the updates to and I'll add them to the master file and update it.

Change Log:
.01 Initial form creation.

What do you think of utilizing google docs for this, that way more than one person could edit the lists?

davidmcbeth

Banned
since the 2nd amendment applies throughout the land ... many states are wrong on this subject ... either we have the right to carry or we don't ... and any "regulations" regarding this should be consistent throughout the land. I think that the regulations regarding carry should be the same as possessing ... no felons, crazies, and and age limit...that's it.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Alaska
Arizona
California .............................Unloaded and in plain veiw
Colorado
Delaware ............................. Plain view
Florida
Georgia
Idaho ...................................Not concealed in city, must be OC unless unloaded
Kansas ................................. Plain View but no preemption
Kentucky
Louisianna
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska ................................plain view
Nevada
New Mexico
North Carolina .....................Plain view
Oregon ............................... Plain Veiw
South Carolina....................... Concealed, and in specified locations in the vehicle
South Dakota .......................Plain veiw
Texas Concealed
Utah................Your vehicle, or with consent
Vermont
West Virginia ..............................Residents Only, plain view
Wyoming..........................Not CC on person

California is now, for all intents and purposes, "no oc", regardless if the pistol is unloaded.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Do any other states operate like ours, in regards to OC in PFZs with their CPLs?

No... at least none that I have found when I looked. I believe I've read through every state's prohibited areas. Interesting fact:

Most state laws regarding "no carry zones" do not differentiate between open or concealed nor whether the person is licensed or not... just no possession.

Mississippi has an enhanced license to exempt carriers from MOST no-carry zones

97-37-7 New Wording as Per House Bill 506 Signed by the Governor.
(2) ……. A person licensed under Section 45-9-101 to carry a concealed pistol, who has voluntarily
completed an instructional course in the safe handling and use of firearms offered by an instructor certified
by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training, or by any other
organization approved by the Department of Public Safety, shall also be authorized to carry weapons in
courthouses except in courtrooms during a judicial proceeding, and any location listed in subsection (13) of
Section 45-9-101, except any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, any police, sheriff or highway
patrol station or any detention facility, prison or jail. The department shall promulgate rules and regulations
allowing concealed pistol permit holders to obtain an endorsement on their permit indicating that they have
completed the aforementioned course and have the authority to carry in these locations. This section shall in
no way interfere with the right of a trial judge to restrict the carrying of firearms in the courtroom.
-----
The only state that is "better" in regards to "no-carry zones" is Missouri. The state only criminalizes the transgression IF the person refuses to leave those areas, and IF they refuse to leave, they get a first-time charge of Trespassing which is a $100.00 fine.

Missouri Revised Statutes

Chapter 571
Weapons Offenses
Section 571.107

August 28, 2011

Endorsement does not authorize concealed firearms, where--penalty for violation.

Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this

section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to
571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the
premises. If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person may be
issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense. If a second citation for
a similar violation occurs within a six-month period, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed two
hundred dollars and his or her endorsement to carry concealed firearms shall be suspended for a period of
one year. If a third citation for a similar violation is issued within one year of the first citation, such person
shall be fined an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars and shall have his or her concealed carry
endorsement revoked and such person shall not be eligible for a concealed carry endorsement for a period of
three years.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
since the 2nd amendment applies throughout the land ... many states are wrong on this subject ... either we have the right to carry or we don't ... and any "regulations" regarding this should be consistent throughout the land. I think that the regulations regarding carry should be the same as possessing ... no felons, crazies, and and age limit...that's it.

5dZXT.gif

pfries

Hope you can make sense of it

Tennessee N Y N Y N N Y w CPL

Limited
Not handled dropping off picking up. Limited to non-students

N Y

In any room where a judicial proceeding is taking place. (39-17-1306)

Schools. (39-17-1309 and 39-17-1310)

Some local public Parks and recreational property. (39-17-1311)

Any Penal Institution (39-16-201)

Any place with a properly posted sign per 39-17-1359

Hevymetal

What do you think of utilizing google docs for this, that way more than one person could edit the lists?

got no problems with google docs

Thanks

Tennessee N Y N Y N N Y w CPL

Limited
Not handled dropping off picking up. Limited to non-students

N Y

In any room where a judicial proceeding is taking place. (39-17-1306)

Schools. (39-17-1309 and 39-17-1310)

Some local public Parks and recreational property. (39-17-1311)

Any Penal Institution (39-16-201)

Any place with a properly posted sign per 39-17-1359

Added, thanks :)

Updated what I have thus far.