Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Texas - Any Advice?

Visiting Texas - Any Advice?

Hello,

I will be visiting Texas in two weeks and will be traveling by car from AZ. I have my AZ CCW permit and am planning to CC the entire time I'm in Texas. Just wondering if anyone could offer some general advice/guidelines for an out-of-stater concerning carry and anything in particular to watch out for concerning the law?

Thanks in advance.

Your CCW is accepted in Texas. Look for pc.30.06 signs. Texas does not have Ghots buster signs and if they are posted they have no weight. Now a knife ghost buster can be posted...
    Unlike Arizona, Texas has 51% signs for alcohol. The 51% is for bars making 51% or more profit from alcohol sales. "Beer bars are not 51%".
    Look for pc.30.06 and 51%, those are your signs..HaHa
    Stay concealed, .............
    Prohibited places such as school, hospitals, church, ect.....,you already know those.
    Good luck and enjoy your visit...

Redneck, please explain why beer bars are not 51%. If it's in the tabc code, that's why I may not be aware of it. But to my knowledge alcohol sales are alcohol sales regardless of the type of alcohol.

Beer bars typically also serve food and other beverages. For example, the local bar I visit is not a 51% bar because they also serve food and as such, do not derive 51% of their profits from the sale of alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Beer bars typically also serve food and other beverages. For example, the local bar I visit is not a 51% bar because they also serve food and as such, do not derive 51% of their profits from the sale of alcohol.
    Ok, that I knew. The reason I ask is because we have two beer bars and they only serve beer and mixers if you brought your own bottle of booze. What i call sports bars and what you call beer bars seem to be the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by American Pride! View Post
    My advice is stay out of texas! I'm a truck driver and that is the worst damn place in the country!

Not to mention it's full of steers and ******. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by mustangkiller View Post
    Redneck, please explain why beer bars are not 51%. If it's in the tabc code, that's why I may not be aware of it. But to my knowledge alcohol sales are alcohol sales regardless of the type of alcohol.
    Beer bars have a completely different license than liquior bars do. The sign you will see posted in Beer bars is the same sign in resturants, and stores. The TABC sign Is basically 46.02 but a felony.
    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ips/Pocket.jpg
    A resturant bar that sells liguior may or may not be 51%. It is determined by profit liquior sales.
    Last edited by MR Redenck; 08-05-2012 at 02:04 AM.

[QUOTE=MR Redenck;1801893][/QUOT
    Last edited by MR Redenck; 08-05-2012 at 02:06 AM.

That's odd cause both beer bars in town have the red 51% sign. Even though the sign is wrong, does it still carry weight?

Quote Originally Posted by MR Redenck View Post
    ...Prohibited places such as ... hospitals, church, ect.....,you already know those. ...
    Interestingly enough, I, too, am driving to Texas next weekend. I will be there for a few weeks. Can you cite this part for me? Do hospitals and churches really have weight of law for no carrying in TX? They do not in NV, and only churches do in UT if they are posted.

Thanks.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Read this chapter folks, ask all the questions you need
    http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u.../htm/PE.46.htm
    (1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;(3) on the premises of a correctional facility;(4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;(5) in an amusement park; or(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.(c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental entity.(d) A license holder commits an offense if, while intoxicated, the license holder carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed.
    Note that premises is definded as the building..
    Last edited by MR Redenck; 08-05-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Ok, that I knew. The reason I ask is because we have two beer bars and they only serve beer and mixers if you brought your own bottle of booze. What i call sports bars and what you call beer bars seem to be the same thing.
    That's odd cause both beer bars in town have the red 51% sign. Even though the sign is wrong, does it still carry weight?
    The only way to know if it is wrong is to know where they get their profits. If the bar infact has a blue license, then the sign has no weight of law. But if you're wrong, and they have a 51% sign because they have a 51% license...

The only way to know if it is wrong is to know where they get their profits. If the bar infact has a blue license, then the sign has no weight of law. But if you're wrong, and they have a 51% sign because they have a 51% license...
    They have to post the license for everyone to see. The whole sign wont be colored red or blue, it will say "sign=red or sign=blue"

They have to post the license for everyone to see. The whole sign wont be colored red or blue, it will say "sign=red or sign=blue"
    Where is it posted, though? I haven't seen the actual licenses, but then I haven't really looked for the actual licenses either.

Hospitals, churches and amusement parks are not off limits to CHL. They haven't been since 1996.

To be off limits, they have to post a proper 30.06 sign.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Interestingly enough, I, too, am driving to Texas next weekend. I will be there for a few weeks. Can you cite this part for me? Do hospitals and churches really have weight of law for no carrying in TX? They do not in NV, and only churches do in UT if they are posted.

Thanks.
    Read this chapter folks, ask all the questions you need
    http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u.../htm/PE.46.htm
    (1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;(3) on the premises of a correctional facility;(4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;(5) in an amusement park; or(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.(c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental entity.(d) A license holder commits an offense if, while intoxicated, the license holder carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed.
    Note that premises is definded as the building..
    Read and undrstand the link provide by MR Redenck, and pay attention to section (i), which was not part of the quote in his post.

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.
    Those sections are the hospital, amusement park, church and meeting of a government entity sections. As of 2007, those areas must post a 30.06 sign.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Good info! Thanks!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Where is it posted, though? I haven't seen the actual licenses, but then I haven't really looked for the actual licenses either.
    They have to post it for public view. Like anything else, sometime people dont do that right either.
    Also, the government code never said you have to look for a license, just a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by American Pride! View Post
    My advice is stay out of texas! I'm a truck driver and that is the worst damn place in the country!

Not to mention it's full of steers and ******. Lol
    ROFL! Gotta love FMJ!

Thanks for all the info

It's greatly appreciated. To be more specific, my wife and I are planning on checking out the Six Flags in Arlington, the Sea World in San Antonio, and of course, The Alamo. To anyone's knowledge, are any of these places a no go for carry?
    ...and at the risk of taking heat, if any of these places are no go for carry, do they have the means of knowing (metal detectors)?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Saiyan View Post
    It's greatly appreciated. To be more specific, my wife and I are planning on checking out the Six Flags in Arlington, the Sea World in San Antonio, and of course, The Alamo. To anyone's knowledge, are any of these places a no go for carry?
    ...and at the risk of taking heat, if any of these places are no go for carry, do they have the means of knowing (metal detectors)?
    Six Flags is posted. Sea World is not properly posted. I have no idea about the Alamo.

Good question about the Alamo. Is that owned by the State? I would assume so. How is Texas with carrying firearms in public buildings? In NV, if posted, you cannot carry concealed, so only OC is legal when "No Firearms" is posted. But no OC in Texas...

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Good question about the Alamo. Is that owned by the State? I would assume so. How is Texas with carrying firearms in public buildings? In NV, if posted, you cannot carry concealed, so only OC is legal when "No Firearms" is posted. But no OC in Texas...
    Property owned by a Government Entity can only be "prohibited", it can not be posted pc.30.06... If it is, it has no meaning....

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u.../htm/PE.30.htm
    Sec. 30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder1) carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and(2) received notice thatA) entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden; or(B) remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.(c) In this section1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).(2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).(3) "Written communication" meansA) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or(B) a sign posted on the property thati) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.(e)
    It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
    I dont know whats up with all the sad faces, I didnt do that. Something about the cut and past creates that problem.
    Last edited by MR Redenck; 08-06-2012 at 11:22 AM.

...I dont know whats up with all the sad faces, I didnt do that. Something about the cut and past creates that problem.
    Freudian slips in the data stream.

The shortcut to the auto-smilie for the sad face is the colon followed by the open parenthesis. So every time that combo occurred, it automatically put in the graphic.

Property owned by a Government Entity can only be "prohibited", it can not be posted pc.30.06... If it is, it has no meaning....
    It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035...
    So does the exception mean I can carry there? Man, that was a confusing law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast