• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Texas - Any Advice?

Super Saiyan

Thanks for all the info

It's greatly appreciated. To be more specific, my wife and I are planning on checking out the Six Flags in Arlington, the Sea World in San Antonio, and of course, The Alamo. To anyone's knowledge, are any of these places a no go for carry?
...and at the risk of taking heat, if any of these places are no go for carry, do they have the means of knowing (metal detectors)?

flb_78

It's greatly appreciated. To be more specific, my wife and I are planning on checking out the Six Flags in Arlington, the Sea World in San Antonio, and of course, The Alamo. To anyone's knowledge, are any of these places a no go for carry?
...and at the risk of taking heat, if any of these places are no go for carry, do they have the means of knowing (metal detectors)?

Six Flags is posted. Sea World is not properly posted. I have no idea about the Alamo.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Good question about the Alamo. Is that owned by the State? I would assume so. How is Texas with carrying firearms in public buildings? In NV, if posted, you cannot carry concealed, so only OC is legal when "No Firearms" is posted. But no OC in Texas...

MR Redenck

Good question about the Alamo. Is that owned by the State? I would assume so. How is Texas with carrying firearms in public buildings? In NV, if posted, you cannot carry concealed, so only OC is legal when "No Firearms" is posted. But no OC in Texas...

Property owned by a Government Entity can only be "prohibited", it can not be posted pc.30.06... If it is, it has no meaning....

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.30.htm
Sec. 30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:(1) carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and(2) received notice that:(A) entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden; or(B) remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.(c) In this section:(1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).(2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).(3) "Written communication" means:(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or(B) a sign posted on the property that:(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.(e)
It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
I dont know whats up with all the sad faces, I didnt do that. Something about the cut and past creates that problem.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I dont know whats up with all the sad faces, I didnt do that. Something about the cut and past creates that problem.

Freudian slips in the data stream.

The shortcut to the auto-smilie for the sad face is the colon followed by the open parenthesis. So every time that combo occurred, it automatically put in the graphic.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Property owned by a Government Entity can only be "prohibited", it can not be posted pc.30.06... If it is, it has no meaning....
It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035...

So does the exception mean I can carry there? Man, that was a confusing law.

nonameisgood

Maybe a bit more info regarding daily carry:
-No open carry (there is an exception for travelers, but you don't really want to test it, and it is not really simple to explain)
-Keep it concealed, but in most places a little printing isn't even noticed, even by LE.
-The 30.06 sign mentioned previously is specific wording and size of lettering - other signs are meaningless, and are usually either put up by the ill-informed or by people who don't mind savvy carriers, but want to discourage those who don't really know the law. The sign outside a package store which sells beer or wine or liquor which says "The unlicensed carry..." does not apply to you.
- Carry into state and local government property and buildings can not be restricted except for certain places like court buildings, city council meetings, jails, and secured parts of airports. For instance, the unsecured portion of the terminal building of Love Field airport in Dallas has old trespass signs prohibiting guns, but they are not applicable to you since it is city-owned and you have a permit. Visit http://texas3006.com to look up places for signs - it is not complete, but may help you figure out where to avoid.
-Carry into schools and at school functions, at sporting events, and into places like Six Flags is prohibited at all times, sign or no sign.
-Carry in 51% bars is prohibited without a sign, but it is a defense to prosecution if the bar didn't post the TABC sign or the license with the red 51% near the door. There is a website to verify whether the place is BLUE (carry-safe) or RED (no carry): http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/PublicInquiry/Status.aspx
-Carry in a car is concealed only (aside from the travelers exception I mention above) and loaded in the glovebox or under a towel in the seat next to you is fine. Please do not unload or handle your gun unnecessarily (I was visiting a local PD dispatch office one night when they responded to a guy who left a restaurant and was going to put away his carry gun before going to the bar. He ended up shooting himself in the wrist as he tried to unload it.) It is always ok to carry in a car with a concealed handgun permit, even when the parking lot entrance is posted. Employers can have different rules for employees as a matter of employment policy.
-Hospitals and churches are OK for carry unless they are posted - most hospitals here are posted.

Again, the only two signs which have the force of law are the 30.06 sign, and the 51% notice (either the same 30.06 sign with a red "51%" on it, or the 8-1/2x11 TABC license with the 51%, since the sign is not what really makes it illegal.)

Hope that helps.

My advice is stay out of texas! I'm a truck driver and that is the worst damn place in the country!

Please feel free to stay away. That suits us just fine.

nonameisgood

So does the exception mean I can carry there? Man, that was a confusing law.

You can carry on city or state property with noted exceptions (courts, council chambers, jails, ...) and signs cannot be used to prohibit carry elsewhere on the public property.

The Alamo is not currently posted, according to texas3006.com.
But posting is irrelevant since it is owned by the State of Texas. It is operated by the a private group, but ownership is what confers the carry status.
Carry on.

KBCraig

You can carry on city or state property with noted exceptions (courts, council chambers, jails, ...) and signs cannot be used to prohibit carry elsewhere on the public property.

The Alamo is not currently posted, according to texas3006.com.
But posting is irrelevant since it is owned by the State of Texas. It is operated by the a private group, but ownership is what confers the carry status.
Carry on.

They initially tried posting no-guns signs, and were quite outraged when they lost that case.

MR Redenck

What can I say...little children taste good.

Only a texas queer would have a problem with my comments... "just sayin"

Everyone else has intelligent thought to offer this topic, so get lost.
Were very sorry you picked up a tranformed lot lizzard on your travels, but im probably guessing that could happen in other places too.
IDIOT!

nonameisgood

The code prohibits carry at permanent amusement parks, such as Six Flag and Sea World, even if they are not posted. Unless I missed a revision. This doesn't apply to state or county fairs, because they have to operate more than 120 days and other criteria. It is a defense that it wasn't posted, but it is still prohibited to carry there.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
The code prohibits carry at permanent amusement parks, such as Six Flag and Sea World, even if they are not posted. Unless I missed a revision. This doesn't apply to state or county fairs, because they have to operate more than 120 days and other criteria. It is a defense that it wasn't posted, but it is still prohibited to carry there.

(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
(5) in an amusement park; or
(f) In this section:
(1) "Amusement park" means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Super Saiyan

Thanks again for all the info. Leaving tomorrow morning for the trip. Looking forward to spending some time in TX!

nonameisgood

Ak56, thanks. I had an old version and my Google Fu wasn't working well.

Super, have a good visit.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Ak56, thanks. I had an old version and my Google Fu wasn't working well.

Super, have a good visit.
You're welcome.

My daughter and son-in-law live in Lubbock, so I try to stay up on Texas firearm laws for when I visit.
Wish you guys would get OC. Seems strange that I can drive all the way from Washington State OC, then have to conceal while I'm in Texas.

nonameisgood

Our reps seem willing to modify the law when they find ambiguities. The old rule was a modification. Originally it was prohibited, then it was prohibited but if it wasn't posted you could get out of jail, now it is only prohibited if posted (same as any other business). I would expect the specificity for such places to be removed soon.

Super Saiyan

Got back from my trip and am happy to say that I had no LE contact of any kind, or negative carry experiences.

I decided to be a good little law-abider and I kept my piece locked away when I went to Six Flags. Glad I did, because they had many signs posted and metal detectors at the entrance. Of course, security was out of shape and unarmed... :rolleyes:

I do find it strange that Texas law forbids CC in amusement parks specifically, of all places. What's so special about amusement parks anyway? Nonetheless...

Godspeed to all you Texans who are fighting to get OC legal. Texas has a reputation that has firearms clearly in the picture, so the fact that OC is illegal is very odd to me, but, best wishes from Arizona.

Thanks!