• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody use Ballistol?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Terrific stuff. Smells better than WD-40 (whose secret ingredient is fish oil I've been told). I use it always when shooting black powder. Although I can't recommend the practice in coastal Virginia's humid climate, you really can get away with letting the sun set on a dirty gun. The fouling remains soft and can be easily rinsed off the next day using a 50/50 mix of water and Ballistol, followed by some dry patches and a last patch with pure Ballistol. By the way, Ballistol also makes wood stocks and leather slings look cleaner and glossier.

In Germany, it is touted for its antibacterial effects as well, and troops had evidently used it on small cuts and abrasions. The Ballistol people can't say that here, because they don't want to be fined heavily or to spend about $500 million to get the FDA's imprimatur for such a minor selling point. Also, I never suggested any medical use either........ wait... ooops..

Last edited: