Thread: First time open carrying- Walmart

Thumbs up First time open carrying- Walmart

I decided I wanted to open carry sometimes, I was driving around while open carrying my M&P9 and decided I wanted to check out sporting goods at Walmart (no better way to waste a rainy Saturday). Thought I'd share my experience.

I know some Walmarts allow it, others don't. I have never seen 1 person in my city open carry... EVER, so I was slightly nervous of course. I called them up and asked to speak to a manager, I asked if they allowed open carry. He said "we don't have any signs posted, so yes we do". (wrote down his name in case I had any troubles) Spent a good 30 minutes in there looking at ammo/gun supplies/and bikes for me and the wife, other than a few small kids I don't think anyone even noticed (from what I could tell).

I used a Blackhawk OWB holster w/spare mag pouch (yes make fun of my Blackhawk if you must, but it's a good holster for cheap). My voice recorder fits perfectly in the spare mag pouch, so I turn it on before I go anywhere (just in case).

Overall a very good experience, I plan on open carrying more often, and finding which businesses do and do not allow it.

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
    Friendly advice: Never, NEVER ask. Just carry.
    Liberty or death. We're sorry, there are no other options available at this time..........
    "Safety is the new Liberty, and recklessness is the new Freedom, and alcoholism is the new Doug Huffman."

Quote Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
    Friendly advice: Never, NEVER ask. Just carry.
    I agree 100%.

If you are not welcome, I would think a manager will let you know.

Why would anyone make fun of a Blackhawk holster?

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    Why would anyone make fun of a Blackhawk holster?
    Jealousy?
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

1st Grats on popping the OC cherry!
    2nd all Walmart stores follow state law. If they claim not to then politely leave, call the manager to clarify the next day. Whether you are right or not if an employee asks you to leave you are then trespassing if you don't.
    3rd never ever ask. If they aren't posted great. If you call and it suddenly occurs to them to post that kinda sucks.

Carry on!

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Congrats!

As others said, please don't ask. It lets them say no. If they don't want you, they need to post.

I remember my 1st couple oc experiences. I was scared to death!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Its a purdy cool feeling those first few OCs, ain't it?

The others have covered things well. Just remember that most (not all) large retailers have corporate policies to follow State law for firearms. If they give you flack at the store just contact the Mgr maybe first, contact Corporate to get their the official word.

And always carry your No Guns = No Money cards.
    Last edited by Maine Expat; 08-05-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

Plato knew this yet today's antis still don't get it!

Join the fight for freedom
    Oathkeepers

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Feel free to come to Starbucks in Delavan today. It is in the sticky section.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

McX
    for lack of a better place to put this; i had an odd exchange with an owner of a micro-business yesterday. i had a bit of a windfall, so i stopped at a local fish store, on my 'route in life'. I went in OC ofcourse, and was greeted with obvious moon eye from the owner. So be it. I asked about restarting a fish tank i had, and what i would need to complete the task. The whole time the moon eye continued. We went over what i would need, and i made a cash deposit. The the conversation began from his end: I can tell you to leave my store if you come in here with a gun on. Me: Yes, and i will leave immediately, and never come back. Him: not all people who carry guns are well trained. Me; You mean like criminals? If you dont want any guns in here, then you should post a notice, so people wont come in. Also, consider that if something happens in your store, disarmed citizens may opt to sue you for not allowing them to protect themselves. Him: well, i have a gun behind the counter here. Me; that is ofcourse your right, my concern is for my protection, and my rights. He seemed to ease off it from there, and the moon eye ceased. I dont know if i won one or not. Maybe i should look into if Walmart has fish tank supplies just in case i return to the micro-store to find it posted.
    Last edited by McX; 08-05-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    well, i have a gun behind the counter here.
    So he wants to be able to protect his safety but does not want to allow his customers the same right. I think I would have had to bring this to his attention and ask for my deposit back. Just my 2 cents thou.

McX:

To me it just sounds like he was a little nervous having someone with an open carried firearm in his store, because he didn't know you or your intentions.

It sounds like a win, because he did not ask you to leave. He probably will be more comfortable next time.
    Last edited by Preferred Customer; 08-07-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    Wisconsin Carry Member