• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My gun club might be accepting 150 more members!

MKEgal

Glockface said:
What was the reason for the no vote?
In short, Robert's Rules of Order + club by-laws.

2 people proposed amendments, which were seconded.
Those have to be voted on before voting on the main motion.
In order to vote on the amendments, they have to be published in the newsletter, then heard at yet another special meeting (next month).
People could indefinitely postpone the vote on whether or not to increase the membership simply by continuously proposing amendments.
Or the amendments could be withdrawn, allowing a vote. (That could have happened last night too.)

One guy objecting to increasing membership asked what the club is going to do with all the extra dues money once these current projects (roof, berms, paving) are done. I think it would make sense to lower the dues. More members means less money each person has to pay.

re: a 1-dimensional target
Would take some sharp shooting to hit that!

PakRatJR

Just realized I missed the meeting Monday. Did anyone happen to get their or hear how the more members vote went?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't know why so many clubs require to be a member of the NRA.

I refuse to support the NRA through any means .... :(

On the bright side, it looks like something good came out of the paint-ball competition miscommunication .. now accepting new members :)

PakRatJR

Bummer.....:(

I guess on the plus side, I am supposed to be getting a free fancy NRA duffel bag.....that cost me $70....:rolleyes::lol:

MKEgal

svelectric said:
NO vote on 100 dollar assessment
NO vote on expanding membership in anyway
Then how do they expect to pay for the needed improvements? :confused:
That was the whole reason for proposing both of those actions.

PakRatJR said:
I guess on the plus side, I am supposed to be getting a free fancy NRA duffel bag... that cost me $70.
Why didn't you go for the $10 associate membership?
Sure, you don't get a magazine, but I have enough of those anyway.

PakRatJR

Kinda curious about that myself actually.....

Why didn't you go for the $10 associate membership?
Sure, you don't get a magazine, but I have enough of those anyway.

I don't actually remember seeing a option for that.

Wasn't a big deal at the time. It was a "discount" on a three year membership. Figured it would have worked out nice had the membership been expanded.

And, ya know....their was a free duffel bag :D

svelectric

QUOTE]

Both options were to pay for the needed improvements and repairs.
A vast majority of the votes didn't want loads of newb's coming in (new members are added every year with those moving on or moving to "life" memberships)
A majority didn't want a 100 dollar assessment added to a slush fund, they wanted a specific list of items and a specific cost.

I am guessing one or both will be brought up again, most likely a smaller assessment could pass IF specifics are given. That vote was somewhat close, expanding membership was voted down about 3 to 1.

MKEgal

MKEgal said:
svelectric said:
A vast majority of the votes didn't want loads of newb's coming in ...
A majority didn't want a 100 dollar assessment added to a slush fund, they wanted a specific list of items and a specific cost.
So allow fewer new members & charge a smaller assessment from everyone.
The meeting I attended explained what the projects are that need to be done & what their costs were.
IIRC, there was definitely raising the berms (which seems awfully expensive) & re-roofing that building.
I think there were a couple other things, but I'm not remembering right now.

Last edited:

AaronS

The meeting I attended explained what the projects are that need to be done & what their costs were.
IIRC, there was definitely raising the berms (which seems awfully expensive) & re-roofing that building.

Daniel Boone wil still be happy to have you.
If you get your hours in (and I'm sure you would), the membership is not that bad a price for what you get.

svelectric

We did vote on allowing fewer additional memebers (50 vs 150), that also failed.
The "list" that was published in the newsletter was basically a wish list of the things the board and everyone else wanted. They didn't say, you pay x, and we do y. It was you pay x and we'll do some, all, or different things on this generic list.

The 100 yard berm needs to be addressed. The 50 and 200 are great now and the short yardage (15yrd) is almost complete.
They have done some really nice improvements, but there is high resistance to doing too much by what I'd call the "old guard". I wouldn't mind a 300 dollar assessment if we got some nice improvements. But that's why we vote on it. Only the smaller, most needed/popular imrovements will make it (imho).