• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My gun club might be accepting 150 more members!

Glockface

My gun club in Lisbon Wis [2mins from downtown Sussex] might be accepting 150 more members.If your interested in getting your name on the list you need to show up for the Aug-20 meeting at 7:30pm.No sponser is needed.Our current wait to join is about 2yrs but if they approve the membership to 500 members you would get in right away.Our dues are $53 a yr and 5 work hrs.You also must be an NRA member and not a felon.We have 25,50,100,200yd and trap ranges.We are building a close in pistol range.
http://www.mfrgc.com/huntersafety.shtml
000_0168.jpg

000_0171.jpg

000_0170.jpg

MKEgal

I asked in a PM, haven't seen an answer...
When I looked through the club website I didn't see any mention of range rules.
Are there any strange ones?

I know clubs that won't let you shoot at ground targets,
won't let you use human pictures or silhouettes, [sp?]
won't let you OC,
require that you stand at the shooting line (even if you're the only one there & want to work on SD skills)...

I'm hoping this club has nothing like that, 'cause I've been looking for a place.

Glockface

2012)
GROUND RULES
1.Every Member is required to know and abide by all Rules and By-Laws of this club.
All Safety Rules set forth by the National Rifle Association shall be enforced on these
premises. Violation of these Rules shall be grounds for disciplinary action or dismissal
from this club. (Dec. 2010)
2.If a Member of this Club observes another Member or guest doing anything against
these Rules, he must call it to their attention, and report them to any Member of the
Board of Directors or a Range Officer.
3. The use of intoxicating beverages on Club Grounds is strictly prohibited, except by
special authorization of the Board of Directors.
4. The discharge of all fully automatic weapons as well as any form of a “BUMP
FIRING TECHNIQUE” OF ANY FIREARM shall be prohibited, and a sign posted so
stating. (Dec 2011)
5.There shall be no shooting before 9:00 A.M. There shall be no shooting on the Rifle
and Pistol Ranges one-half (1/2) hour after sunset. There shall be no shooting on the
Shotgun Range (1/2) hour after sunset, except 9:30 P.M. for Trap League Functions.
6.At no time shall anyone enter in front of the firing line, without first sounding the siren
and turning on the flashing red lights; except when the Range has been closed by the
permission of the Board for Club Functions, such as Picnics, etc. Each and every Range
in use must activate the flashing red lights and siren, before proceeding down range for
any reason. This ensures that the warning light and siren system will not shut down until
the last person returning from down range deactivates the system. This is very important
so as not to trap any person down range who may be out of sight.
7.While the flashing lights are on, all Actions must be open and Firearms unloaded on the
Rifle and Pistol Ranges. The handling of Firearms at this time shall be prohibited
8A. Paper targets may be used on the Rifle and Pistol Ranges, at any time. Paper
Targets are the only type targets allowed for use on 100 and 200 yd ranges. No
intermittent Targets may be used without the Board of Directors approval. All Targets at
the 100 and 200 yd ranges must be attached to back boards.
8B Temporarily Suspended
B. Reactive Targets are to be used only on the 25 and 50 yard ranges.
Only .22 Rimfire is to be used when shooting at Reactive-Type Targets.
Types of targets allowed to be used:
1. Aluminum Cans.
2. Balloons.
3. Plastic-type bottles.
4. Spinner-Type Targets (Commercial or Home Made)
5. No shooting of targets closer than 25 yards.
When shooting, know your target and what’s beyond. Ask yourself, will my bullet impact
the BACKSTOP. (June 2010).
C. Cans or breakable targets, except glass, may be used on the 100 yard range for
special events or for skirmish team practices only if express permission, for each
use, is granted by the Chief Range Officer or the Board of Directors; and a Range
Officer is present during such use.
NOTE: You must clean up all debris when shooting at Reactive-Type Targets,
before leaving the range.
9. The firing of tracer ammo, incendiary ammo, and or human caricature targets shall
be prohibited on the club grounds, unless authorized by the Board.
9a The use of featureless human silhouette targets is permitted. Targets shall be a
design traditionally used for police training in competition, such as NRA Approved B-27
silhouette.
1. The target shall be paper or cardboard, and consist of a single, continuous outline
of upper torso and head areas.
2. The target shall be one-dimensional, featureless, and of one solid color. Scoring
rings and border may be of a contrasting color.
10 Ranges - Use of:
10A Change
A. 200 Yard Range - Rifle only, must be single loaded and must sit at a bench. Eliminate
Hand Gun Endorsement until enhancements have been completed. (June 2010)
(Under control of Trap Committee during Trap League functions)
B. 100 Yard Range - Rifle and Shotgun (slugs only) (see Rules 11 & 11A for handgun
use)
C. 25 and 50 Yard Ranges - Rifles and Handguns. Shotguns (slugs &steel shot)
11. The 100 yard range will be open to handguns, with a minimum barrel length of 4
inches. All shooting will be done from a sitting position on a bench and the gun will be
sandbagged
11A. Long-Range Pistol Endorsement:
Members of the Menomonee Falls Rod & Gun Club, who meet the qualification
standards set forth elsewhere, and who have their current Club Membership Card
endorsed for “LONG-RANGE PISTOL”, may use handguns at the 100 and 200 yard
ranges as follows:
200 Yard Endorsement - Centerfire pistol with a barrel length of 4 inches or more to be
fired from an acceptable “supported” position as defined in current rules governing NRA
PISTOL SILHOUETTE or other recognized governing authority for pistol shooting
sports.
1. It is prohibited to rapid draw and fire from a holster.
2. Double-action and/or rapid firing multiple shots in a cadence exceeding one (1)
shot per ten (10) seconds is prohibited.
3. Firing of rim-fire and non-magnum pistol ammunition is prohibited.
(NOTE: non-magnum ammunition commonly used in rifles, that is chambered
for guns such as the T/C Contender, i.e., 30-30, 35 REM, .223, etc.; is
allowable.
4.Any firing from a one-handed/non-supported position is prohibited.
B. 100 Yard Endorsement
Rimfire or Centerfire pistol with a barrel length of 4 inches or more, fired from an
acceptable “supported” position as defined in current rules governing NRA PISTOL
SILHOUETTE or other recognized governing authority for pistol shooting sports.
1. It is prohibited to rapid draw and fire from a holster.
2. Double-action and/or rapid firing multiple shots in a cadence exceeding one (1)
shot per ten (10) seconds is prohibited.
3. It is allowable to shoot “two-handed” without support, but “one-handed”
shooting is prohibited.
12. Anyone intending to travel between the 200 yard firing line and the 200 yard target
area must first inform shotgunners using the Trap Field, if any, and obtain agreement that
all shotgun fire cease until the aforementioned 200 yard shooting area is cleared of all
persons. Due to the potential for injury from falling pellets, no one is to traverse the 200
yard shooting area while the trap field is actively in use.
13. The patterning of Shotguns shall be done at the designated frames at the 25/50yard
range, or at the designated place at the Trap area. Bring your own Cardboard.
14. Upon completing your rounds of firing; all targets shall be removed from the target
rack, and placed in the proper receptacle. Clean up your shooting area pick-up and
dispose of your brass and shot gun shells; this includes .22 brass and gun cleaning
materials.
15. Litter should be picked up, to keep our grounds clean.
16. The last person leaving the Club Grounds shall make sure all facilities are locked
and secured.
17. No Member shall loan or give his/her Club Key or give out the gate and building code
to non-members. (Sept 2009)
18. Any Member must produce his/her Membership Card upon demand by any other
Club Member.
19. Any personal injury sustained on Club Grounds, must be reported to the board of
Directors, within twelve (12) hours.
20. There shall be no private sales of any kind, by anyone, during the Rifle Clinic, unless
such sales are directly connected with the Clinic, and/or they have been approved by the
Board of Directors.
21. All refuse fires on Club grounds shall comply with local ordinances; a copy of which
is to remain posted on the bulletin boards. All refuse fires on Club grounds shall contain
only Club refuse (e.g. - paper targets); refuse is not to be brought onto Club grounds for
burning. No fire on Club grounds shall be left untended.
22 The Board of Directors shall manage and control all posting of signs, hanging
of pictures, posters, awards, licenses, decorations, etc., on the Club grounds
and/or in the club buildings and structures. The Board will assign areas for
committee use. The Committee Chairmen (or Co-Chairmen) will be
responsible for all items displayed in their assigned area. Effective November
1, 2004:
CMP: Rifle House; interior west wall from the S W corner north to the second window.
Junior CMP: Rifle House; interior east and south wall from the east door to the window
of the south wall.
Fishing: Main House; interior east wall between the windows.
Trap and Junior Trap: Main House; share an area, interior west wall between the
windows.
Trap: Main Building; bulletin board on the south wall.
Items must be posted at a level above the windowsill. Items in violation of this rule will
be removed and disposed at the discretion of the board.”
23. Donations to the MFR&GC become the property of the Club. The use and
disposition will be at the discretion of the Board of Directors. The acceptance of
conditional donations requires prior approval by the Board of Directors. Items donated
with conditions, i.e. specific use, return if no longer needed, etc should be “labeled” in
some manner identifying the special conditions of the donation.”
(Aug 2004).
24. Range Safety,
SAFETY is always our #1 priority at MFR&GC
ALWAYS keep the muzzle pointed at the berm when loading any firearm.
NEVER elevate the muzzle of a loaded firearm above the berm.
POSITION your target on line with your shooting position so that all rounds will strike
the berm safely. DOUBLE CHECK prior to firing.
ONLY put your finger on the trigger when you are safely on target and ready to fire.
YOU are responsible for ALL ROUNDS FIRED, including those fired by guests.
Do not: Move concrete bench in any way, Lift or move bench top, Sit on bench top!”
25. It is prohibited to draw from the holster and fire. (Jan 2012)
26. It is prohibited to fire from the hip without the Boards approval. (Jan 2012)

Glockface

Every club will have rules that we don't like.
The only way around that is to buy your own property in the country.
This place still is better than shooting indoors.

davidmcbeth

Banned
What happened to the old members ... does not look like anybody's there in the pic...did the club have some type of contest?

MKEgal

Yeah, I guess it's better than indoors. Certainly cheaper, and likely to be more private.
And I can use a marker to trace the outline on the back of my targets.
And if nobody else is there (likely) I could practice practical shooting, instead of long-range target shooting.

davegran said:
Or join a club that encourages combat shooting events like ... Schultz Resort Rod & Gun Club
"The range may only be used when a club designated Range Safety Officer (RSO) is present.
No shooting from in front of, or in back of, shooting benches. All shooters must use the benches as the firing line.
We also require that no one shoots alone, another adult must be present.
Guns must be transported to and from the firing line in a cased condition. No gun is allowed to
leave the firing line uncased."

The IDPA club looks like fun, & isn't expensive to join, but I don't see their address anywhere (other than saying they're in Racine).

Glockface

Our club doesn't make you put in 40 work hours like some do.Alot of times i'm the only one there.I hear members shooting faster than 1rd every 10 seconds too.We did get new berms.Another good thing is its only about 25mins to the club from NW Milwaukee.When you become a member you are the RSO!Hope to see you there! Gface

Last edited:

Teej

I hear members shooting faster than 1rd every 10 seconds too.

As I read the rules, the 10-second rule applies only to the "long range handgun" endorsements...100-200 yard handgun shooting.

For everything else...just no full auto / bump fire.

MKEgal

Glockface said:
Our club doesn't make you put in 40 work hours like some do.
It looks like I could fulfill the hours commitment the first day of the fall rifle sight-in.
'Course, about all I'd be good for there is administrivia, but someone's got to do it.

A lot of times I'm the only one there.
With my odd schedule that's probably how it'd be for me too.

it's only about 25 mins to the club from NW Milwaukee.
I've ridden (or driven) by there many times.

When you become a member you are the RSO!
Self-responsibility. What a concept.
(Actually, I am an RSO anyway.)

E6chevron

This is an interesting idea for me. I could carpool with the MKEgal, but her habit of sighting in on the way there, does perforate a lot of stop signs. On the other hand, when we get there, she would be ready to go.

We'll see.

MKEgal

E6chevron said:
I could carpool with the MKEgal, but her habit of sighting in on the way there does perforate a lot of stop signs.
Geez... ya do something one time & you're marked for life. :rolleyes:
'Sides, if you're driving I need both hands to hang on.

On the other hand, when we get there, she would be ready to go.
Once I quit shaking in fright.
Of course, that could be used as a lead-in to shooting under stress - adrenaline already running.

PakRatJR

I have been eyeballing this place for a while now as it is about 5 minutes tops from my place.

A couple questions if I may...:)

On the required work hours, would it be possible for a guy to just pay the extra $50 with the membership fee and not worry about the them? Not that I am trying to avoid the work, but because I seem to have a hard enough time lately just getting a few hours to go shoot, much less having to find more more time to go work.

Second, what is the policy on guests. When I do get to shoot it's a rare occasion that I go by myself.

Boons policy is one guest per trip and you can only bring the same guest twice in one calender year.

Going through the posted rules, I didn't see anything mentioned about that.

Thanks
:D

Glockface

Yes you can buy out your work hours for an extra $50
You are allowed 2 guests to shoot with you no charge.
Make sure you get to the Aug-20 meeting to get your name on the waiting list.
The club wants to do some improvements so i think the vote will be approved to add 150 more members.

Last edited:

AaronS

I have been eyeballing this place for a while now as it is about 5 minutes tops from my place.

Second, what is the policy on guests. When I do get to shoot it's a rare occasion that I go by myself.

Boons policy is one guest per trip and you can only bring the same guest twice in one calender year.

Going through the posted rules, I didn't see anything mentioned about that.

Thanks
:D

5 Minutes away sounds great. Wish I was that close to my club...

Just for the record, Daniel Boone lets you bring up to 4 guests at a time. Same guests are only to come twice a year:uhoh:.

E6chevron

Attended the Menomonee Falls Rod & Gun Club meeting tonight, and filed out a membership application to get on the new member waiting list.

Unfortunately there are already 120 on the wait list now, and they expect 35 to 50 openings (non-renewals) by mid-January. At that rate of new membership openings, the wait list is 3 to 5 years long. They did not vote on raising the membership limit in the bylaws. They may only raise it by 50 more, or not at all.

The strict rules about not drawing from the holster (rule 25), one-dimensional mono-color paper/cardboard silhouette targets (rules 9,9A), make it not very flexible for handgun self-defense practice.

I did not have an opportunity to ask their pistol chairman about what a one-dimensional target looks like. I guess it looks exactly like a two-dimensional target, when you view it from the edge!

Last edited: