Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Open Carry Rally for SB-59 in Monroe, MI - 8/25/2012

Exclamation Michigan Open Carry Rally for SB-59 in Monroe, MI - 8/25/2012

The leadership of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. is organizing a rally in Monroe Michigan (Home town of Randy Richardville, Michigan State Senate Majority Leader) to protest the lack of movement on SB-59, a bill that would allow anyone with a CPL to get an exemption from Michigan's Concealed Gun Free Zones (this would also "legitimize" the "Open carry in a PFZ" loophole).

Please come help us promote SB-59 and make sure the person who is holding the bill up gets our message: This bill must pass -- NOW! This rally may be the most important thing we've done for this bill to-date! It's a must-attend for anyone interested in helping this bill pass!

Relevant Links:

Event Details:
    Where: City of Monroe, MI (Exact Rally Point/Plan found here)
    When: August 25, 2012 (11:00AM - 5:00 PM)

What to do to attend
    • Sign Up for the email list I have created just for rally. I'll send updates about this rally to this new list. After the rally is over, I will destroy this new list. I only made a separate list so we don't keep spamming those who aren't interested (or can't) attend.
    • Mark August 25, 2012 (between the hours of 11 AM and 5 PM) on your calendar.

Find Details about the rally including locations/schedule here
    Last edited by TheQ; 08-21-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

My wife has to work that day so I need to find a sitter for the girls, but I am 99% I will be there.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Banned
    Why not bring them?

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Why not bring them?
    My oldest is 2 and her sister is only 9months, so it's really hard to keep them happy and under control for longer than 5 minutes.

I plan to be there, OC'ing of course and my wife may attend with me as she supports the bill, but is not comfortable carrying herself (yet).
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    My oldest is 2 and her sister is only 9months, so it's really hard to keep them happy and under control for longer than 5 minutes.
    Very wise decision. Been there, done that... lol
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Lightbulb Car-pool?

Who wants to meet in Kzoo or BC???
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    Who wants to meet in Kzoo or BC???
    Yance is organizing a I-94 corridor car pool to get to Monroe.

+1,000,000
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    This is a great idea! Good job to those responsible for setting it up. Taking on all of the law-makers/breakers in lansing is a tall order. Holding their feet to the fire one at a time is a smart move in my political opinion.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    This is a great idea! Good job to those responsible for setting it up. Taking on all of the law-makers/breakers in lansing is a tall order. Holding their feet to the fire one at a time is a smart move in my political opinion.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!
    Agreed. Knowing the area his home is reported to be in, it should be pretty public. There are several parks along the opposite side of the street, and during nice weather, many walkers and joggers along that area. Also, the road is a secondary route for those wishing to avoid the traffic on M50 at times. I know because I used to fish at a park on the other side of the river and would watch all the traffic, foot and vehicle, across the river in that area.

Now just need to know what size poster board we need
    Last edited by Ezerharden; 08-10-2012 at 11:57 AM.

getting excited about this one......

OP has been updated with details.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

just out of curiosity, any reason you guys are doing veterans park instead of munson park which is just down the road and much bigger?

just out of curiosity, any reason you guys are doing veterans park instead of munson park which is just down the road and much bigger?
    Randy David picked the venues. Ask him (RDavis@miopenvcarry.org). He doesn't check the forums much, so best email him.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Randy David picked the venues. Ask him (RDavis@miopenvcarry.org). He doesn't check the forums much, so best email him.
    ok, i was just curious because there is a ton more parking and space at munson and it's only about a half mile down the road.

I plan on going. The wife can't attend as she is working and wont be out till well after any possibility of arriving down there in a timely manner. I'm in Davison so if any one cares to hook up for the ride down PM me.

Michigan Open Carry Rally for SB-59 in Monroe, MI - 8/25/2012

With 2 days left there are 40 people subscribed to the list as "going".

I have news. Our message is getting through! I personally received a call from the majority leader this evening. Him and I have a 10 or 15 minute conversation about this matter. I wanted to let you know we are being heard.

Now on Saturday to Monroe we go to make sure his constituents and any news channel that will listen to us hear our message as well!

This by no diminishes our purpose in showing up Saturday! Now more than ever we much follow up on this rally and show him we can deliver the political heat!
    Last edited by TheQ; 08-23-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Banned
    I hope this gets revived.

have you heard plans for any news channels panning to attend, since we have none of our own in monroe to cover it. most monroe stuff is covered better by toledo news channels than detroit ones

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Lightbulb

have you heard plans for any news channels panning to attend, since we have none of our own in monroe to cover it. most monroe stuff is covered better by toledo news channels than detroit ones
    You do have two radio stations: 98.3 FM (MIX yesterday & today) & 97.5 ( Monroe Co College) we could send a email to them. Maybe they would run a local news broadcast on this event? Any press is good press IMHO.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    You do have two radio stations: 98.3 FM (MIX yesterday & today) & 97.5 ( Monroe Co College) we could send a email to them. Maybe they would run a local news broadcast on this event? Any press is good press IMHO.
    i forgot about 98.3 moving back to town, they were in toledo for a while. can't say i've ever heard of 97.5, but as you say any press is good press.

i'm more worried about you guys having enough parking and space. veterans is pretty small with limited parking, munson park (1/2 mile down the road) has tons of parking and room. it even has an airport there to give an idea of it's size.

i forgot about 98.3 moving back to town, they were in toledo for a while. can't say i've ever heard of 97.5, but as you say any press is good press.

i'm more worried about you guys having enough parking and space. veterans is pretty small with limited parking, munson park (1/2 mile down the road) has tons of parking and room. it even has an airport there to give an idea of it's size.
    Actually the airport is separate property fenced off (my step-son flies out of there). But it is a good sized park. What about the Monroe Evening News? Think they might cover it?
    Last edited by Ezerharden; 08-24-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    Actually the airport is separate property fenced off (my step-son flies out of there). But it is a good sized park. What about the Monroe Evening News? Think they might cover it?
    I suppose there is a chance someone from MEN may cover it. Hopefully they are aware of it.
    Last edited by detroit_fan; 08-24-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast