• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Open Carry Rally for SB-59 in Monroe, MI - 8/25/2012

detroit_fan

have you heard plans for any news channels panning to attend, since we have none of our own in monroe to cover it. most monroe stuff is covered better by toledo news channels than detroit ones

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
have you heard plans for any news channels panning to attend, since we have none of our own in monroe to cover it. most monroe stuff is covered better by toledo news channels than detroit ones

You do have two radio stations: 98.3 FM (MIX yesterday & today) & 97.5 ( Monroe Co College) we could send a email to them. Maybe they would run a local news broadcast on this event? Any press is good press IMHO.

detroit_fan

You do have two radio stations: 98.3 FM (MIX yesterday & today) & 97.5 ( Monroe Co College) we could send a email to them. Maybe they would run a local news broadcast on this event? Any press is good press IMHO.

i forgot about 98.3 moving back to town, they were in toledo for a while. can't say i've ever heard of 97.5, but as you say any press is good press.

i'm more worried about you guys having enough parking and space. veterans is pretty small with limited parking, munson park (1/2 mile down the road) has tons of parking and room. it even has an airport there to give an idea of it's size.

Ezerharden

i forgot about 98.3 moving back to town, they were in toledo for a while. can't say i've ever heard of 97.5, but as you say any press is good press.

i'm more worried about you guys having enough parking and space. veterans is pretty small with limited parking, munson park (1/2 mile down the road) has tons of parking and room. it even has an airport there to give an idea of it's size.

Actually the airport is separate property fenced off (my step-son flies out of there). But it is a good sized park. What about the Monroe Evening News? Think they might cover it?

Last edited:

detroit_fan

Actually the airport is separate property fenced off (my step-son flies out of there). But it is a good sized park. What about the Monroe Evening News? Think they might cover it?

I suppose there is a chance someone from MEN may cover it. Hopefully they are aware of it.

Last edited:

Ezerharden

Lets see. Gun (holstered)... Check. Recorder... Check. 2 pounds of coleslaw... Check. Ready to go I think. See you all there.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Not to wreck the train - pun intended. We need to make it clear to people - it is not ok to walk around with the gun in your hand. What Stainless did was to carry a HOLSTERED pistol in his hands due to getting caught in a down pour, if I understand correctly? Legal yes, good idea, probably not. He did not want to risk accidently covering it with his rain jacket. Now can we stay on topic? I hear they may start awarding prizes for that. :cool:

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Last edited:

detroit_fan

Looked like a pretty good turnout. I was at the park from 12:45 to 1:30 with my 2 year old but we had to get back home before my wife left for work, I was unable to find a babysitter for the 9 month old.

Ezerharden

Looked like a pretty good turnout. I was at the park from 12:45 to 1:30 with my 2 year old but we had to get back home before my wife left for work, I was unable to find a babysitter for the 9 month old.

Yea was a real good turn out. Not sure if I met you or not at the park. Might have, met a lot of people lol.

detroit_fan

it made the local paper

Group rallies to carry guns openly-

About 40 people partici*pated in a rally Saturday organized by the group Michigan Open Carry to promote the open carry*ing of handguns.

The rally took place in St. Mary’s Park before the group moved through downtown Monroe car*rying signs in support of Senate Bill 59.

The group walked the riverfront to state Sen. Randy Richardville’s house and then to Veter*ans Park, where a picnic and meet-and-greet were held.

The purpose of the rally was to get Sen. Richard*ville to take action on SB 59, according to a press release by Michigan Open Carry. The nonprofit or*ganization said that if the bill were to pass, it would eliminate many of the current pistol-free zones.