• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beretta 22

I looked at some handguns today at Gander Mtn that were in my price range. I found a Beretta 22 that seemed to feel comfortable when holding and it was in my price range. It wasn't big or bulky. What do others think about this type of gun? I asked the clerk if there was any kick to it and he said there wasn't. I am thinking of getting this one, it's priced at $249, Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:

markush

Without trying to start a debate I'll say...If it's just a budget issue save a little longer or most shops will have a layaway plan. If that's not it and you have read enough about the .22 as a defensive round that you feel comfortable using it to protect you and your loved ones with it...Beretta makes about as good a .22 as anyone.

Last edited:

AaronS

I agree with markush, a .22 is a little small...

I myself, would never carry anything smaller than a .380 ACP.

Don't get me wrong, a well placed .22 can kill. The thing is with a barrel that short, it might be hard to make a well placed shot...
I would look at a Ruger LCP in .380. I don't think it is much larger than a Beretta .22, and .380 has a little better punch.

Also, you do understand that Gander does not support the NRA anymore? Not that the NRA is "God", but I for one will never give Gander my money again...

HandyHamlet

Also, you do understand that Gander does not support the NRA anymore? Not that the NRA is "God", but I for one will never give Gander my money again...

Not so much that Gander does not support the NRA but that Gander Mountain panders to the WAVE ghouls. Unforgivable.

Some of my best groupings are with short barreled, non-revolver type, small cal firearms. Some people can only shoot one gun they know well. Some can shoot multiple firearms with great success. Some will never hit a paper plate at 7 ft. with a sawed off shotgun. Buy what you want, can afford, can afford to feed, can use, and want to carry. You can buy used to save a buck. You can always get something else down the road if the Baretta does not work out or you outgrow it..

:monkey

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I like the little Berettas. They are easy to shoot quickly and accurately for their size, unlike small .380's. When getting a small handgun in this genre, I prefer the .25 over the .22.

Ammunition will be a lot more expensive, yes, but how much are you going to shoot it? .25 is a far more reliable cartridge in a little semi-auto, and centerfire ignition is far more reliable than even good rimfire brands.

I've always wanted to try the Beretta Tomcat .32 on the same design, but it's a little bigger, too.

The tip-up barrel designs are very nice. You'll never need to manipulate that little slide unless there is a malfunction. My Beretta .25 has never malfunctioned.

GreenCountyPete

Here is a link to the exact one I was looking at. Another Factor I have to currently look at is the price of ammunition. The .22 I can get a box of 500 for 24 bucks. I would want practice shooting it plenty and it could get quite costly with a different handgun.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...Neos-Handgun&i=443715&aID=510E1A&merchID=4006

something is better than nothing , the Beretta Neos would make an excellent trainer , to improve your shooting to learn to shoot a pistol well

as a defensive arm it is a bit like hitting a nail with a tiny hammer vs hitting it with the right size hammer

you can drive a nail with a small hammer if you hit it a hundred times , or you can hit it a few times with a framing hammer

once you have the skills they will transfer to a larger gun better suited to defense and you can practice and pick it up with less more expensive ammo needed having gotten over your learning curve on the 22

I instruct youth shooting , we mainly use Ruger mkII or MKIII pistols for the program they hold up well

not to say a 22 won't stop and attacker they have many times but more because of either great shot placement , or because because the attacker wasn't very determined after being shot at it likely wouldn't have mattered it it was a 22 or a 45 in many cases because just having the gun and using it made the difference.
22's are used so often because they are inexpensive and available , and what was handy because it was already out to use.