Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw another OC'er tonight, had to lol....

Saw another OC'er tonight, had to lol....

My sister and brother inlaw came into town this weekend from ATL so we decided to go out to eat at Texas roadhouse. There was a 30 minute wait so since it felt pretty decent out we went out and sat on the patio.

When I walked back out I happened to set across from this character. It looks to be a glock 17 maybe a 22? With a 30-31 round mag sticking out 6 inches behind his back. He is the only other person I've seen OCing here in Owensboro.

I wish I had got a picture when he walked inside.

I have no clue why he would think he needs to walk around with a 30 round mag sticking out other than to attract attention and make himself look pretty stupid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by 86 slo-vo View Post
    I have no clue why he would think he needs to walk around with a 30 round mag sticking out other than to attract attention and make himself look pretty stupid.
    I'm sure many people from various viewpoints have said the same thing regarding all of our OC'ing practices; "He only carries a stainless steel pistol to attract attention" or "Why does he/she feel the need to not conceal? their inviting someone to steel their gun" etc. :P

Hey, more power to him, at-least when the squirrel militia comes wanting revenge for all their homes that was destroyed to make those benches, and floors, and tables; He'll have a solid advantage of having more ammo in that mag than anyone in the entire building probably has combined... the only question being, can he make each shot count?

I want to learn from his example... Quick, someone find me a beta-C mag for my hi-point. Only one thing beats that long mag... a drum mag
    Last edited by DrakeZ07; 08-05-2012 at 12:23 AM.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Attract attention, trying to get noticed... funny that's what anti's say about open carry in general. Do I walk around with a 33rd mag, no - but remember ... the more bullets in the gun, the longer your time in the fight.

To each their own. Maybe he was just trying to show that a law-abiding citizen can carry a hi-cap mag without anything awful happening, contrary to what the media would have you think..?

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    I'm sure many people from various viewpoints have said the same thing regarding all of our OC'ing practices; "He only carries a stainless steel pistol to attract attention" or "Why does he/she feel the need to not conceal? their inviting someone to steel their gun" etc. :P

Hey, more power to him, at-least when the squirrel militia comes wanting revenge for all their homes that was destroyed to make those benches, and floors, and tables; He'll have a solid advantage of having more ammo in that mag than anyone in the entire building probably has combined... the only question being, can he make each shot count?

I want to learn from his example... Quick, someone find me a beta-C mag for my hi-point. Only one thing beats that long mag... a drum mag
    I usually carry 25 rounds without drawing much attention, IWB mag holster conceals well.

I'm trying to imagine going through everyday tasks with a magazine hanging out 6" from my back. Just seems completely unnecessary.

Your missing the point. Most folks would say carrying 25 is CRAZY! Why so many? I carry 52 without much attention. Does that make me look stupid? 17+1 +17+17

I usually carry 25 rounds without drawing much attention, IWB mag holster conceals well.

I'm trying to imagine going through everyday tasks with a magazine hanging out 6" from my back. Just seems completely unnecessary.
    I understood what you were trying to say. It is like anyone should be able to OC an AR pistol, but that does not mean it isn't bulky and hard to carry.

Why didn't you greet the fellow?
    Last edited by 09jisaac; 08-05-2012 at 12:34 AM.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post

Are you dense? He was CARRYING A GUN!!!!

Don't you know that if he would have talked to him, he would have shot everyone with his assault pistol!!! He had a 30 round CLIP!!!! He obviously could have killed 60 or 70 special needs children!!!!

:P

Lol @ FLB
    Last edited by DrakeZ07; 08-05-2012 at 12:48 AM.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    I understood what you were trying to say. It is like anyone should be able to OC an AR pistol, but that does not mean it isn't bulky and hard to carry.

Maybe he was CC and felt awkward bringing up OC? I OC on a regular basis and find most people don't care. The ones that do are usually CC guys who act like I just shook my dick at their wife, you can't have that thing out in the open! The women and kids will see it. I keep mine in my pants with my other weapon of mass destruction....blah....blah...blah

Activist Member
    My sister and brother inlaw came into town this weekend from ATL so we decided to go out to eat at Texas roadhouse. There was a 30 minute wait so since it felt pretty decent out we went out and sat on the patio.

When I walked back out I happened to set across from this character. It looks to be a glock 17 maybe a 22? With a 30-31 round mag sticking out 6 inches behind his back. He is the only other person I've seen OCing here in Owensboro.

I wish I had got a picture when he walked inside.

I must admit this does look a little odd, but should he be ridiculed for exercising his rights? I carry more firearms and ammunition than one person would hopefully ever need, but is it not better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it? People who like to ridicule would get at me for carrying 2 guns (3 sometimes), but if I was ever in a situation like in CO, I could arm at least 1, maybe 2 other people! One thing is certain, I would rather eat by this fellow than one without a firearm. I say good for him for showing people that an elongated black stick that holds ammunition is not evil with a mind if its own.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

ROFL @ FLB & Glock9mm...

I do agree that a 30+ rnd mag is prolly a bit awkward to carry, but hey, to each his own. And yeah, I'd tell the host(ess) "I wanna sit close to that guy."

I also might have thanked him for carrying and got some convo going that might engage a few other waiting diners and educate a few people without them knowing their actually learning something.
    Last edited by Maine Expat; 08-05-2012 at 08:48 AM.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

Plato knew this yet today's antis still don't get it!

Join the fight for freedom
    Oathkeepers

Like I said I wasn't commenting on how many rounds he has on his person, just the way he carries them. I mean imagine trying to sit in a car with that setup? Drawing from a seated position?
    Shooting from the prone position?

I didn't spit on his shoes and get him dirty looks, I had my 4 year old daughter and 10 month old daughter so I didn't get the chance to walk over. I only got the picture because the wife wanted a picture with the oldest.

Sorry if I offended someone by bringing it up but to me he shouted hey look at me.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Only one thing beats that long mag... a drum mag
    This is hilarious, as is the photo
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Sorry if I offended someone by bringing it up but to me he shouted hey look at me.

Was he doing the infamous hip-thrust at each person that walked by? You know, the move where he nearly puts their eye out by shifting his hip so that the pistol and it's magazine are literally in their face?

Or could it be, as others are trying to say gently, that you are a hypocritical bigot who believes that people should only carry in the exact same manner as you do?

Sure, the folks who carry either unusual items (AR/AK pistols) or in an unusual way (31-round magazine, tacticool thigh holster, etc.) draw more attention than those who carry more in keeping with how the government's armed minions carry. But if someone wanted to avoid being mistaken for an armed government minion, what better way? (Unless you look like me - anybody ever heard of Santa being on the gooberment payroll?)

At least for me part of why I OC is to demonstrate in a very practical manner that handguns are not, by themselves, inherently dangerous things that can kill you all on their own. Others may not. 's OK.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    Maybe he was CC and felt awkward bringing up OC? I OC on a regular basis and find most people don't care. The ones that do are usually CC guys who act like I just shook my dick at their wife, you can't have that thing out in the open! The women and kids will see it. I keep mine in my pants with my other weapon of mass destruction....blah....blah...blah

Agreed, I was at a yard sell yesterday talking to a guy that owned the place, Then this guy walked up to me and stared at my handgun at my side and he asked 'Do you have a license to carry that?' I said no sir KY is a open carry state. then this guy takes his wallet out and shoves his cdwl right up in my face and to the man I was talking to then he pulls his gun halfway out of his pocket to show me, the whole time just glaring at me like how could anyone OC?

That's not a hi-cap magazine. Its a snap on recoil reducer...DUH! lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Was he doing the infamous hip-thrust at each person that walked by? You know, the move where he nearly puts their eye out by shifting his hip so that the pistol and it's magazine are literally in their face?

I hate it when someone waves their big black long Glock in my face. It's very discomforting.
    Last edited by flb_78; 08-05-2012 at 11:56 AM.

No doubt if I carried such an extended length magazine in my handgun I'd bump into stuff more often than I already do. But other than that and hoping the one in the picture is factory OEM as opposed to some of the aftermarket craptastic mags available, no objections from me.

@Will I think some CCDW holders feel as though they are in an elite club and either 1)offended that you are carrying and not in the "club", or 2)they don't realize OC is legal. Not that his response was justified.

Quote Originally Posted by langzaiguy View Post
    @Will I think some CCDW holders feel as though they are in an elite club and either 1)offended that you are carrying and not in the "club", or 2)they don't realize OC is legal. Not that his response was justified.
    His response was stupid and could have got him shot to death. Who comes at an armed person in a aggressive manner then starts to pull a pistol....short answer someone not long for this world!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    His response was stupid and could have got him shot to death. Who comes at an armed person in a aggressive manner then starts to pull a pistol....short answer someone not long for this world!

I didn't know how to react when he did that. I have only been OC'ing for a month or two but I have always been told that the only time your sidearm comes out when carrying is when you have to use it hopefully I will never have to use it but that's what I go by. I couldn't believe he did it "supposedly" they go through training but its just common sense not to do it.

@Old Style I'm not defending the dude or condoning his actions. I'm trying to come up with some sort of rationale as to what he did what he did.

Activist Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by langzaiguy View Post
    @Old Style I'm not defending the dude or condoning his actions. I'm trying to come up with some sort of rationale as to what he did what he did.
    And he was a "trained professional with a card that says so!" I have my CDWL, but in no way do I believe it makes me something I'm not, like an idiot such as this. He obviously wanted everyone to SEE his firearm, but he wants to act like he is better because his is concealed. I would surely like to know what this man was thinking as well, but I guess some people just don't make sense! He must have been another of those "you only have rights if you exercise them like I do" folks!

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Maybe this guy only has this one extended magazine that will properly feed and this is his only firearm.

Perhaps he was going out and had to make the decision on whether to carry or not to carry.

While his method of carry is not mine, I will not fault him for it. In fact, he chose to OC, and for that I salute him.

Perhaps others will see him carrying one of those evil 12 inch long magazines and realize that he is not causing trouble.

He is just carrying a firearm, nothing more, nothing less.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    That's an "extended grip" to allow him to control his weapon better, so there will be no danger to nearby, innocent bystanders. Using the "baseball bat grip" will enable him to score "10 ring" hits at 400 yds. and better control the powerful recoil of that 9 mm. handgun. Seriously, I have two of those magazines, one in 9 mm and one .40 cal. I shoot them at the range all the time, but never considered OC'ing with one. I may decide to do it, now. It certainly provokes a discussion.
    Haha. I have tried several of my Glocks with this hold, bu something just wasn't right! I do carry the 22 round .40/.357 Glock mags. in my pouch sometimes in place of my standard 15 rounders, but I haven't carried one in my firearm. The 22 round .40/.357 mags. are OEM and not much longer than the 15 round mags; you get 14 more rounds and it is no more trouble than carrying the standard mags; not bad if you ask me.

While on the subject, has anyone tried the 29 round .40cal. schrader mags.?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast