• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bad news today!!!

M

McX

Just keeps getting worse; My kid tells me he heard some chick opened up on a ferry boat somewhere in Michigan, and killed a bunch. The copy cats just keep coming. so i'm compiling my list(s) of where not to go: movie theaters, Churches, Ferry Boats..............

Law abider

Only the ones that post "no (legal) guns" signs... which seems to be most of them.
There are a few sensible congregations.
When things calm down, could someone in the area drive by & see if the doors are posted?
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. (But obviously they needed better signs.) :uhoh:

I didn't know much about Sikhism, other than that it emerged as a response to Islam & I thought Sikhs were generally peaceful.
So I read the Wiki...
Apparently I was wrong about the 'peaceful' bit, or at least, they're not militantly/absolutely peaceful like the Quakers. Sikhs have served with distinction in all sorts of wars and they stand up for what they think is right.

From the Wiki:
Sikhs are an offshoot from Hinduism which they declared corrupt because of their polytheistic beliefs. They are monotheistic. They are very loyal to the cause and live in peace. However they will sacrifice their rights for the cause, that's why the Indian army is composed largely of sikhs. Throughout history they have given their lives against the enemies of India.

I should know I am a half sikh, mom's side, however I am a Christian and a loyal defender of our Constitution and Freedom. I'll be loyal to the end for the United States and our traditions. My traditiions are secondary to our American traditions. Reach out tho the sikhs of that temple. befriend them.

TyGuy

I've personally known Sikhs and I found the ones that I knew to be great people. They have sinced moved away, but I was never nervous around any of their family. Of course there are good and bad of any group.

carracer

Just keeps getting worse; My kid tells me he heard some chick opened up on a ferry boat somewhere in Michigan, and killed a bunch. The copy cats just keep coming. so i'm compiling my list(s) of where not to go: movie theaters, Churches, Ferry Boats..............

From the Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/201208...erboat-police-search-suspect?odyssey=nav|head
"Detroit Princess owner and Captain John Chamberlain said everyone who boards the boat -- about 500 for Sunday's cruise -- is checked for weapons. Chamberlain, who has operated riverboats for 35 years, said this was the first time he's experienced a shooting incident near one of his boats.

"We search everyone coming in and this is why," Chamberlain said. "We’re sorry to see something like this happen. You have a lot of crazy people out there.""

Huh, left the boat... Got a handgun...Shoots people coming off the boat. Captain Chamberlains weapon check a success!

MKEgal

chrsjhnsn said:
if the Sikh Temple was posted as no guns allowed, what is the penalty for not obeying the sign?
It's a fine of up to $1000.
Which of course has no effect on people like this murderer. :banghead:

"Detroit Princess owner and Captain John Chamberlain said everyone who boards the boat ... is checked for weapons. ... "We search everyone coming in and this is why"
So a private property owner searches people who want to do business with him?
And obviously it doesn't do anything to increase their safety.
How are the Michigan laws about liability when someone creates a "gun free zone"?

Wonder if this had anything to do with it?
Radio One Detroit's station Hot 107.5, which plays hip hop and rap, was hosting the On Deck Sunday Moonlight Cruise. The event is touted on the boat's Facebook page as a nightclub atmosphere on a cruise from 10:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.

the assistant promotions director with Radio One Detroit was just getting off the boat when the shooting happened. He ran back onto the riverboat and shut the door until the the gunfire stopped.
... he immediately called a Detroit Police officer who is a friend and happened to be patrolling nearby.
Concealment is better than nothing.
And wouldn't it have been a better idea to call 911 instead of his friend?

MKEgal

TyGuy said:
I'm listening to the press conference right now.
I like how the one surgeon pointed out that it's not uncommon for them to treat 3 gunshot victims a day, & the only reason the press was there is because they happened to be from the same incident.

TyGuy said:
If anyone finds out that the temple was posted ... PLEASE pm me and post it here.
Yesterday I asked on the FB feeds of all 4 Milwaukee-area stations, & most of my comments disappeared.
Gee, ya think maybe they know the answer & it doesn't fit their agenda?
All I asked was if the temple was posted as a "gun free zone".

M

McX

in the eyes of the left isnt everywhere a gun free zone, until you need it?

NoTolerance

in the eyes of the left isnt everywhere a gun free zone, until you need it?

No, because according to the left, you'll NEVER need it. Now shut up and be a good little victim or the advocacy groups won't have anything to do.

Horseman

Yup, the Detroit Princess in Detroit.

"Detroit Princess owner and Captain John Chamberlain said everyone who boards the boat -- about 500 for Sunday's cruise -- is checked for weapons."

Another shooting in a gun free zone.

sharkey

I thought this was another random/planned mass shooting. It was a family altercation. Now move along.

http://www.freep.com/article/201208...erboat-police-search-suspect?odyssey=nav|head

None confirmed killed in the article I read. 6 of the 7 victims have minor injuries, sounds like the 7th is the shooter's boyfriend who got hit as a passenger in the return fire at the fleeing shooter.

As far as the Sikh's, tragic. And the above, but nothing alike.

M

McX

talked to a member of the Temple this am; they thought they would be safe as it was a 'good' neighborhood. they also thought that law prohibited Church carry. i corrected them on that. He informed me their Temple is NOT posted.

AaronS

talked to a member of the Temple this am; they thought they would be safe as it was a 'good' neighborhood. they also thought that law prohibited Church carry. i corrected them on that. He informed me their Temple is NOT posted.

It just makes me sick when I hear about some wack job going out and hurting people that thay dont even know. Hate of that kind only grows more hate.

I wish some of our members could have been there for them. I hope a few of the Temple members join us. Stand together, or fall alone.

This has been one bad summer for America.
Just goes to show, now more then ever, we need to expand self protection laws.

MKEgal

McX said:
talked to a member of the Temple this am; they thought ... law prohibited Church carry. i corrected them on that. He informed me their Temple is NOT posted.
This is my surprised face.
Maybe they thought they didn't have to post, since the law protected them?
Maybe they'll consider posting now?
Or maybe they'll be sensible & realize that signs don't stop crime.

Watching Fox midday news, & one of the talking heads said "he had several gun permits in North Carolina, which allowed him to buy guns anywhere in the US".
:banghead: :cuss: :banghead: :cuss:

Superlite27

..... they also thought that law prohibited Church carry.

Firearm owners need to start keying in on the language used.

Obviously, the law failed to prevent the shooter from carrying into a Church.

Therefore, whenever someone makes a remark such as, "I thought the law prevented people from carrying a firearm in church"...we need to immediately correct the inaccurate statement.

"No sir/ma'am. The law only prevents LAW ABIDING people from DEFENDING THEMSELVES in a church. The law will NEVER prevent a person who ignores the law from carrying a firearm in a church."

I know it's nitpicky, but language is a VERY important aspect to firearm rights.

Look at the term "assault weapon". I'm sure the terminology wasn't really important initially....but how about now? Wouldn't you love to wipe that inflammatory terminology off the face of the earth? Too late, now. We already let the "enemy" define it. You can insert "modern sporting rifle" all you want, but "assault weapon" will be instantly recognized by most, now.

So, we need to sieze upon the idea of "I thought the law prevented...." WRONG! THE LAW PREVENTS NOTHING FROM THOSE WHO IGNORE IT!

We need to communicate this point effectively.

M

McX

i think they appreciated the knowledge given them, and i would venture to bet that if anything ever happens in that place again, half the 'congregation' will open up on the criminal.

jpm84092

I have refrained from posting to this thread, but one I just posted myself has caused me to act. See earlier Yellow Cat post.

I fear that those who feel their lives a failure and yet have some tortured agenda will either get creative or become copy cats but mass murder seems to be the order of the day in the USA. No restrictive gun law would have stopped any of this murder and mayhem because a soul bent on viciously stealing the lives and health of others is not going to take even one moment to think about gun law.

This is a wake up call my friends. Get your permit / license (depending on the State), obtain a firearm for the protection of self, loved ones, and others, and then get competent instruction in safe handling, then in tactical use of said firearm, from a Professional Firearms Instructor whose credentials are widely recognized.

Carry on Friends, Proudly Carry On.

Yellow Cat Out -

GreenCountyPete

"Detroit Princess owner and Captain John Chamberlain said everyone who boards the boat -- about 500 for Sunday's cruise -- is checked for weapons."

Another shooting in a gun free zone.

the Kohl center in Madison would also tell you they check everyone for weapons,they ask you to open up your jacket , they do not make you go thru a metal detector so what is the point.

unless a place is going to provide security on par with a TSA air port gate, why bother.

Last edited:

E6chevron

I'm aware that we have a lot of out-of-state viewers on this thread. Of course, you are welcome, I am sorry that this terrible event, is the reason for our discussion. I would like to give you a little background, on the current statutes in the state of Wisconsin.

If you are not restricted from possessing a firearm... (felon, court order, under age, mental limitations)

Open carry of a handgun in the temple, would be legal.

Concealed carry of a handgun in the temple, would be legal for:

1. Anyone holding a valid Wisconsin CCL.
2. Anyone holding a valid out-of-state CCL/permit from a state on the Wisconsin approved list.
3. Anyone who is legally considered an owner, lessor or legal occupant of the temple.

Any of these priveleges could be restricted by verbal notification by the owner, or by a minimum 5" x 7" sign properly posted at all entrances.

Wisconsin law has no special carry restriction for churches, they are treated like other private property. If the grounds have a grade 1-12 school, things are different, but I do not believe there is a school on the temple grounds.

--------------

I am aware that the weapon used by the shooter was a new S/A full size XDM in 9mm. It was purchased legally thru a gun store in Milwaukee area and the purchaser received approval thru the normal system for background checking handgun purchases, operated by the State of Wisconsin Department of Justice.

--------------

The Police Lieutenant who was the first to the temple building, and was wearing a bulletproof vest, apparently was trying to provide medical assistance to a victim, when he was ambushed and hit up to 11 times with bullets. A second police officer with a "squad rifle" (probably an AR-15) successfully "put down" the shooter.

Last edited: