• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bad news today!!!

range rat

Shooting breaks out at Sikh temple in Wisconsin: witnesses
Reuters – 21 mins agoShare0EmailPrintMILWAUKEE (Reuters) - At least one gunman opened fire during morning services on Sunday at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, and remained on the loose inside the temple, possibly holding hostages, according to witnesses.

Police were on the scene at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin, located about 20 minutes south of Milwaukee. Police officials declined to comment.

It was unclear how many people may have been wounded in the shooting. But two witnesses said the shooter or shooters were still inside the building.

M

McX

the bad just keeps getting closer and closer, now it's just down the road. no need for a gun in Church Or Temple?! Let me hit that crack pipe!

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
This is truly sad. When I heard the news I sincerely hoped a Sikh wasted the murderer with his kirpan or happened to be carrying a handgun. Historically Sikhs have been badass warriors, it's a shame to hear that they were targeted for whatever reason.

nevinsb

Yeah, I see that now that they updated the story, originally it said there was more than 1 person.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
7 dead including the shooter, 1 officer in surgery with multiple gsw. are churches pistol free zones in wisconsin?

the officials are saying the believe it to be one shooter, but have to sort out all the details before they can say with certainty.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
This is truly sad. When I heard the news I sincerely hoped a Sikh wasted the murderer with his kirpan or happened to be carrying a handgun. Historically Sikhs have been badass warriors, it's a shame to hear that they were targeted for whatever reason.

yes, one of the tenets of of sikhism is self defense and never bowing to tyranny. how much you want to bet the shooter thought they were muslim (not that shooting a muslim is any more justified)?

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
yes, one of the tenets of of sikhism is self defense and never bowing to tyranny. how much you want to bet the shooter thought they were muslim (not that shooting a muslim is any more justified)?

My first thought was that the religious strife that colors India's history arrived in Wisconsin. Lets wait see who was the shooter and his motive.

MKEgal

smellslikemichigan said:
are churches pistol free zones in wisconsin?
Only the ones that post "no (legal) guns" signs... which seems to be most of them.
There are a few sensible congregations.
When things calm down, could someone in the area drive by & see if the doors are posted?
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. (But obviously they needed better signs.) :uhoh:

I didn't know much about Sikhism, other than that it emerged as a response to Islam & I thought Sikhs were generally peaceful.
So I read the Wiki...
Apparently I was wrong about the 'peaceful' bit, or at least, they're not militantly/absolutely peaceful like the Quakers. Sikhs have served with distinction in all sorts of wars and they stand up for what they think is right.

From the Wiki:
Sikhs believe in the equality of humankind, the concept of universal brotherhood of man and One Supreme God

The idea that human beings must work for a living and play an active role in society is the basis of this philosophy. The guiding principles of the Sikh faith are Truth, Equality, Freedom, Justice, and Karma.

selfless service is an integral part of Sikh worship

Protecting the religious and political rights of all people and preventing discrimination is an integral part of the Sikh faith.

It teaches that the God is omnipresent, transcendent, omnipotent, and omniscient.

Emphasis is on ethics, morality, and values; the Sikh faith does not accept miracles.

Sikh scriptures teach the concept of moderation. Sikhism teaches a person to remove the Five Evils: lust, wrath, greed, materialism, and egotism, and to oppose hedonism.

promoted women's rights and equality, a remarkable stance in the 15th century

Sikhism teaches to respect all other religions (tolerance) and that one should defend the rights of not just one's own religion but the religion and faith of others as a human right. At the end of every Sikh prayer is a supplication for the welfare of all of humanity.

Sikh history is built on examples of brave men and women who defended an ideology built on the fundamentals of human rights and equality of all human beings.

The Sikh code of conduct strictly forbids the use of intoxicants, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, narcotics...

scorpio_vette

and the saddest part of the whole story is................................before this day is over, somebody in this city will ask: "why would anybody need a gun in a church?"

Killings like this need to stop. We need MORE armed citizens, and more DISCOURAGED criminals. Politicians need to quit trying to create stress-free work environments for criminals.

chrsjhnsn

if the Sikh Temple was posted as no guns allowed, what is the penalty for not obeying the sign?
in Nevada its only a misdo if you do not leave when asked

Condolences and prayers for the victims and family.

XDFDE45

And of course this idiot had to open his mouth :cuss::cuss:

http://onmilwaukee.com/myOMC/authors/davebegel/nrasikhtemple.html

Another one who seems to believe the fairy tale that if all guns are banned that crime and criminals will just magically go away. Suuuuuuuuuuuure
raisedeyebrow.gif

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
if the Sikh Temple was posted as no guns allowed, what is the penalty for not obeying the sign?
in Nevada its only a misdo if you do not leave when asked

Condolences and prayers for the victims and family.

I've heard of redo's and do-overs, but what's a misdo? :)

JoeSparky

Centurion
I've heard of redo's and do-overs, but what's a misdo? :)

I suspect this is an unapproved abbreviation of "misdemeanor".... LOL

Carry on in any manner that is legal and where it is lawful for you to do so!

adding: Sorry, but I failed to notice your emoticon possibly indictating a rhetorical query on your part.... LOL Color me embarrassed!

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I suspect this is an unapproved abbreviation of "misdemeanor".... LOL

Carry on in any manner that is legal and where it is lawful for you to do so!

adding: Sorry, but I failed to notice your emoticon possibly indictating a rhetorical query on your part.... LOL Color me embarrassed!

No big deal. You had a misdo, so just take a re-do. :D

TyGuy

If anyone finds out that the temple was posted with a no weapons (gun, firearm, etc...) sign PLEASE pm me and post it here. I can't find out online if it was or not.

TyGuy

I'm listening to the press conference right now. It sounds like Lt. Murphy, the responding officer that was shot 9 times, will pull through. The person he was administering care to did pass away though.

Living in IL, the only state without any form of carry, this makes my blood boil. As I've said before, I taught in the very classroom of the NIU shooting just the semester before it happened. Forcing people to be defenseless really upsets me.