• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Smith & Wesson M&P .40

waterfowl woody

I have shot 40cal for 15 years and do not notice the "snap" people are so afraid of?
I guess it depends on your ability to hold and fire the weapon, every gun has recoil but its how you manage the recoil.
Also the size of the bullet battle will rage on just like ford or chevy, ownership pride.
I own and carry a M&P 40c and love the gun, never had problems. trust my life with it.

Don't follow anyones suggestions on a gun, not even mine, because what may work for some won't for others.
same goes for the caliber. Reliability of a gun is the only thing I ask about. The rest is left to how you use it.

follow the suggestions of going and trying many in your hand and shoot them. Your hands won't lead you wrong.

The above is only my opinion and not ment to piss anyone off. oh ya have fun getting a new gun!

john-galt

Greetings. I'm new to these forums but I've been reading for a few days. I've been researching alot of different guns lately and I think I've decided on what my first one will be... a Smith & Wesson M&P .40. It's made for LEOs and military personel, easy maintainance, durable, and reliable.

I have one and couldn't shoot it very well. I thought it was due to the caliber but when I switched to a Glock 23 (also 40 cal), I shot much better and it's now my current daily carry gun. In my case, I think the Glock 23 worked better for me due to my relatively small hands and the shorter line of sight for the Glock.

Best to try it out first if you can. Lots of people like the M&P 40.

Last edited:

Phoenix David

11B20 There is a lot of very interesting stuff on that gun battle on the web, you can find many hours of interesting reads,

But in a nutshell, the 2 BG's got shot early on. One in the head, where it bruised his brain and for the most part took him out of the action. The 2nd BG took one through the arm and into the chest, but the bullet stopped 1" from his heart. The wound was fatal but he was able to fight on and kill 2 or 3 FBI good guys in the next 4 min. of the battle. A little more pop and he would have had a hole in his heart.

The shots were kill shots, but the ammunition didn't have the penetration needed. That's when the FBI went to the 10mm, but the recoil was to much for some, so they wanted to go to the lighter load (FBI 10mm). S&W wanted to get rid of the empty space in that load and went to Winchester to make a new cartridge, and that's how the .40 S&W was born.

I guess the upshot is you need both.

I can agree to that :) Isn't agreeing fun :)

Firearms Iinstuctor

11B20 There is a lot of very interesting stuff on that gun battle on the web, you can find many hours of interesting reads,

But in a nutshell, the 2 BG's got shot early on. One in the head, where it bruised his brain and for the most part took him out of the action. The 2nd BG took one through the arm and into the chest, but the bullet stopped 1" from his heart. The wound was fatal but he was able to fight on and kill 2 or 3 FBI good guys in the next 4 min. of the battle. A little more pop and he would have had a hole in his heart.

The shots were kill shots, but the ammunition didn't have the penetration needed. That's when the FBI went to the 10mm, but the recoil was to much for some, so they wanted to go to the lighter load (FBI 10mm). S&W wanted to get rid of the empty space in that load and went to Winchester to make a new cartridge, and that's how the .40 S&W was born.

I guess the upshot is you need both.

It wasn't a ammo failure that caused the trouble ,it was the piss poor tactics and then piss poor shooting from the FBI.

They fired over a hundred rounds and hit with just a few.

The ammo failure BS was the FBI trying to cover up their mistakes

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I have an M&P 40 in the 4.25" barrel and it is a very nice gun. You will not be disappointed in your choice. One thing I would recommend that you do is to install a USB (Ultimate Safety Block) from Apex Tactical. This will completely remove the gritty trigger pre-travel that the M&P is famous for having out of the box. It will give you a very smooth trigger with around just under or at a five pound pull (mine comes in at 4 pounds 14 ounces).

ares338

Smith and Wesson M&P 40

I personally like the 40 caliber. I find that personally shoot the 40 better than the 9mm. I also shoot the 45 better than the 40. That said, shoot whatever you can control best.:lol:

mpguy

I have an M&P 40 in the 4.25" barrel and it is a very nice gun. You will not be disappointed in your choice. One thing I would recommend that you do is to install a USB (Ultimate Safety Block) from Apex Tactical. This will completely remove the gritty trigger pre-travel that the M&P is famous for having out of the box. It will give you a very smooth trigger with around just under or at a five pound pull (mine comes in at 4 pounds 14 ounces).

Everyone complains about the trigger, and I have a suggestion for fixing it. I use a can of gun spray cleaner at wal-mart. I couldn't find a link on it but I'll keep looking. Only link i found was rem oil, and that's not it.

With the gun field dressed down, hold the frame upside down, and spray the trigger area where the springs are. Give it a decent dosing, so any grit will run off, and hit the ground. After that let it air dry for a min or so, then add a SMALL drop of oil to the trigger mechanism.

This solved my problem, and hope others find the same success.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Everyone complains about the trigger, and I have a suggestion for fixing it. I use a can of gun spray cleaner at wal-mart. I couldn't find a link on it but I'll keep looking. Only link i found was rem oil, and that's not it.

With the gun field dressed down, hold the frame upside down, and spray the trigger area where the springs are. Give it a decent dosing, so any grit will run off, and hit the ground. After that let it air dry for a min or so, then add a SMALL drop of oil to the trigger mechanism.

This solved my problem, and hope others find the same success.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ah but the Apex USB not only completely removes the grittiness, it also smooths out the entire travel and lightens the trigger a little bit. A very nice and highly recommended mod to the M&P.