Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There should at least be a IQ test!

There should at least be a IQ test!

fixed
    Last edited by Goingdef; 08-06-2012 at 05:07 AM. Reason: it was found offensive

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Goingdef View Post
    Ya know I have always felt it's everyone's right to own a weapon but after yesterday I'm really thinking there should be some kind of test to make sure you are capable before the weapon is put into your hands, I was over a friends house yesterday a highly decorated vietnam vet with a very large collection of weapons well he was showing me his Beretta .32 titanium while standing in front of me while I was seated in a recliner well out of nowhere the gun discharges while he's examining it sending a speer gold dot 12" to the right of my upper torso from 3' in front of me, all I remember was a muzzle flash followed with a loss of hearing that was then replaced by a high pitched tone! Needless to say the scariest thing I can recall in my 32yrs of life, so to all please be careful no matter how comfy you feel with your weapon!
    Last edited by ed; 08-06-2012 at 03:24 PM.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    No, No, Ed...it;s gotta be true. It's on the innernet!

Now, Ed! Play nice - ask him for a link to the news story (they always cover any type of shooting, don't they?) or a copy of the police report (there was a repor made, wasn't there?) before you haul out the old meter.

The OP looks like a newbie that may not know of our ways, especially for bavking up tremendous tales with some sort of outside documentation.

Go tell him you are sorry, and make nice. Yes, you have to. Now do it!

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Ya know I have always felt it's everyone's right to own a weapon but after yesterday I'm really thinking there should be some kind of test to make sure you are capable before the weapon is put into your hands, I was over a friends house yesterday a highly decorated vietnam vet with a very large collection of weapons well he was showing me his Beretta .32 titanium while standing in front of me while I was seated in a recliner well out of nowhere the gun discharges while he's examining it sending a speer gold dot 12" to the right of my upper torso from 3' in front of me, all I remember was a muzzle flash followed with a loss of hearing that was then replaced by a high pitched tone! Needless to say the scariest thing I can recall in my 32yrs of life, so to all please be careful no matter how comfy you feel with your weapon!
    What does being a Vet and having a large collection of firearms have to do with this? The level of safe firearm handling is not linearly proportional to the increase of decorations or firearms.

no police showed up the round missed the recliner I was in and struck the bar stools round post glanced off it then the stone floor and then struck the wall coming to rest in the middle of the kitchen, wow I have one hell of an imagination! because as we all know ad's don't happen!
    NO AD's do not happen, ND's do. Did you use a CSI laser to track the bullet movement? Could we get some pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Go tell him you are sorry, and make nice. Yes, you have to. Now do it!
    Spoken like a true parent.

no police showed up the round missed the recliner I was in and struck the bar stools round post glanced off it then the stone floor and then struck the wall coming to rest in the middle of the kitchen, wow I have one hell of an imagination! because as we all know ad's don't happen!
    Thanks for the laugh

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    +1
    Last edited by ed; 08-06-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

Centurion
    My guess is the someone's finger was on the trigger. And the trigger got pulled. He may not have intended to do it but it was his NEGLIGENT action that led to the discharge you described.

The above would only be turned to "Accident" if there were a previously unknown defect on the firearm and no one had a finger on the trigger.

Adding, who if anyone check the firearm to determine its loaded status? This would be another point of negligence in the op's scenario.
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 08-05-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Well, regardless, it's good to know that you and some bottles of 20 year-old scotch wasn't ventilated in the process.

That sounds like the same magic bullet that killed Kennedy.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    My guess is the someone's finger was on the trigger. And the trigger got pulled. He may not have intended to do it but it was his NEGLIGENT action that led to the discharge you described.

The above would only be turned to "Accident" if there were a previously unknown defect on the firearm and no one had a finger on the trigger.

Adding, who if anyone check the firearm to determine its loaded status? This would be another point of negligence in the op's scenario.
    No there was no defect in the firearm and yes it was loaded it's his backup weapon, I examined it and handed it back to him in the same manner he had given it to me while I was noting I would not carry that in my pocket in sa with or without a safety just before it went off, all I can figure is he flipped the safety to off without realizing it and then pulled the trigger figuring it was safe and being in sa it didn't take much to set it off, and why would I seriously make this up? It's not like I said I was grazed with a 50cal but I'm here! it was two gun buddy's visiting with each other and a momentary lapse in judgment led to a firearm being discharged crappy situation pretty scary but a lesson learned that it's not only YOUR firearm handling practices that may lead to you accidentally being shot! I would never hand someone my firearm without unloading and double checking the chamber, he didn't feel that was needed and we see what the end result was! Thankfully no one was hurt and he's only out a brand new stool but it could have been much worse!

SNIP it was two gun buddy's visiting with each other and a momentary lapse in judgment led to a firearm being discharged crappy situation pretty scary but a lesson learned that it's not only YOUR firearm handling practices that may lead to you accidentally being shot!
    You need to learn the difference between accidental and negligent. A gun having a catastrophic malfunction that resulted in injury would be accidental. The situation you presented is negligent. It "happened" because someone did not follow the basic tules of firearms safety.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    No there was no defect in the firearm and yes it was loaded it's his backup weapon, I examined it and handed it back to him in the same manner he had given it to me while I was noting I would not carry that in my pocket in sa with or without a safety just before it went off, all I can figure is he flipped the safety to off without realizing it and then pulled the trigger figuring it was safe and being in sa it didn't take much to set it off, and why would I seriously make this up? It's not like I said I was grazed with a 50cal but I'm here! it was two gun buddy's visiting with each other and a momentary lapse in judgment led to a firearm being discharged crappy situation pretty scary but a lesson learned that it's not only YOUR firearm handling practices that may lead to you accidentally being shot! I would never hand someone my firearm without unloading and double checking the chamber, he didn't feel that was needed and we see what the end result was! Thankfully no one was hurt and he's only out a brand new stool but it could have been much worse!
    If this happened, and

If you examined it and handed it back to him, loaded...

Shame on BOTH of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    ...Shame on BOTH of you.
    This.

Take the most basic firearms safety course you can find, even if it means reading on the Internet for ten minutes, and apply what you learn, and this type of incident would be impossible.

Now, think about the absolutely USELESS BULLCRAP they include in the curriculum in public schools. There is absolutely NO reason why basic firearms safety (and electrical and some other safety stuff) should not be required in school. It does not require hands-on training to be effective in saving lives.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

You can hate me but IMO only an idiot would accept a weapon from someone without making sure it was unloaded first and only an idiot would hand uncleared weapon to someone else.

Sounds like you both failed basic gun handling.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix David View Post
    You can hate me but IMO only an idiot would accept a weapon from someone without making sure it was unloaded first and only an idiot would hand uncleared weapon to someone else.

Ditto. What do you you do to look at a firearm if you don't clear it? There isn't anything else to see that you can't see in his hands. IF this story is true it was probably your ND. I bet he wrongfully trusted you with a loaded firearm and you looked down the sights to try to look like you knew what you were doing and pulled the trigger. Just be glad Darwinism didn't remove you both from the equation.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

... out of nowhere the gun discharges while he's examining it sending a speer gold dot 12" to the right of my upper torso from 3' in front of me ...
    12 inches to the left, and one or both of you would have been leading candidates for this years Darwin Award. http://www.darwinawards.com/

You might still get an Honorable Mention.

If I managed to do something this stoooopid I sure wouldn't run to my computer and tell the world

Banned

should be an IQ test to post

ba-zing !

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix David View Post

Nice looking dog ya got there.

Centurion
    No smart ass I didn't pull the trigger after being handed the gun I asked if it where loaded after noticing the hammer being back and then handed it back carefully as I don't know much about that gun and it being in sa I didn't want it going off in my hand! And to all else yea I might be partially to blame because I didn't feel comfortable scolding a man twice my age with supposedly twice the exp. in his home on his firearm handling habits.
    From your description, sir, it was a Negligent discharge attributable to both of the persons handling the firearm in its condition OUTSIDE OF A HOLSTER!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    From your description, sir, it was a Negligent discharge attributable to both of the persons handling the firearm in its condition OUTSIDE OF A HOLSTER!
    I agree I should have asked if it where loaded before accepting it from him but once in my hand realizing it's loaded and and in sa I had no idea what to do with it hence why I handed it back not knowing what to do to put it in a safe condition, only after being back in the owners hands did it fire during the conversation of a firearm in sa is dangerous for carry(my opinion) and just before it went off he was saying how it has a safety even in sa, even if I had not accepted and handed the gun back it probably would have still happened as he was standing in the same spot when he handed it to me and took it back, even if I had said no thanks it would have still been out in his hands as he pulled it out before asking me if I wanted to see it, but you are all correct in that I am just as much to blame I really should have asked if it where loaded making him have to point the gun in a safe direction and clear it avoiding the whole situation! wow that just dawned on me thanks everyone (not being sarcastic) if I seemed pissed earlier it's because I am not making up anything and I don't troll for responses or to ruffle feathers, I was sharing what I exp. nothing more nothing less.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast