• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

There should at least be a IQ test!

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Ya know I have always felt it's everyone's right to own a weapon but after yesterday I'm really thinking there should be some kind of test to make sure you are capable before the weapon is put into your hands, I was over a friends house yesterday a highly decorated vietnam vet with a very large collection of weapons well he was showing me his Beretta .32 titanium while standing in front of me while I was seated in a recliner well out of nowhere the gun discharges while he's examining it sending a speer gold dot 12" to the right of my upper torso from 3' in front of me, all I remember was a muzzle flash followed with a loss of hearing that was then replaced by a high pitched tone! Needless to say the scariest thing I can recall in my 32yrs of life, so to all please be careful no matter how comfy you feel with your weapon!
BULLSHITMETER34343.jpg

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Now, Ed! Play nice - ask him for a link to the news story (they always cover any type of shooting, don't they?) or a copy of the police report (there was a repor made, wasn't there?) before you haul out the old meter.

The OP looks like a newbie that may not know of our ways, especially for bavking up tremendous tales with some sort of outside documentation.

Go tell him you are sorry, and make nice. Yes, you have to. Now do it!

stay safe.

SpringerXDacp

Ya know I have always felt it's everyone's right to own a weapon but after yesterday I'm really thinking there should be some kind of test to make sure you are capable before the weapon is put into your hands, I was over a friends house yesterday a highly decorated vietnam vet with a very large collection of weapons well he was showing me his Beretta .32 titanium while standing in front of me while I was seated in a recliner well out of nowhere the gun discharges while he's examining it sending a speer gold dot 12" to the right of my upper torso from 3' in front of me, all I remember was a muzzle flash followed with a loss of hearing that was then replaced by a high pitched tone! Needless to say the scariest thing I can recall in my 32yrs of life, so to all please be careful no matter how comfy you feel with your weapon!

What does being a Vet and having a large collection of firearms have to do with this? The level of safe firearm handling is not linearly proportional to the increase of decorations or firearms.

WalkingWolf

no police showed up the round missed the recliner I was in and struck the bar stools round post glanced off it then the stone floor and then struck the wall coming to rest in the middle of the kitchen, wow I have one hell of an imagination! because as we all know ad's don't happen!

NO AD's do not happen, ND's do. Did you use a CSI laser to track the bullet movement? Could we get some pictures?

PistolPackingMomma

no police showed up the round missed the recliner I was in and struck the bar stools round post glanced off it then the stone floor and then struck the wall coming to rest in the middle of the kitchen, wow I have one hell of an imagination! because as we all know ad's don't happen!

Thanks for the laugh :lol:

JoeSparky

Centurion
My guess is the someone's finger was on the trigger. And the trigger got pulled. He may not have intended to do it but it was his NEGLIGENT action that led to the discharge you described.

The above would only be turned to "Accident" if there were a previously unknown defect on the firearm and no one had a finger on the trigger.

Adding, who if anyone check the firearm to determine its loaded status? This would be another point of negligence in the op's scenario.

Last edited:

SpringerXDacp

Well, regardless, it's good to know that you and some bottles of 20 year-old scotch wasn't ventilated in the process. :D

Steeler-gal

That sounds like the same magic bullet that killed Kennedy.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Goingdef

My guess is the someone's finger was on the trigger. And the trigger got pulled. He may not have intended to do it but it was his NEGLIGENT action that led to the discharge you described.

The above would only be turned to "Accident" if there were a previously unknown defect on the firearm and no one had a finger on the trigger.

Adding, who if anyone check the firearm to determine its loaded status? This would be another point of negligence in the op's scenario.

No there was no defect in the firearm and yes it was loaded it's his backup weapon, I examined it and handed it back to him in the same manner he had given it to me while I was noting I would not carry that in my pocket in sa with or without a safety just before it went off, all I can figure is he flipped the safety to off without realizing it and then pulled the trigger figuring it was safe and being in sa it didn't take much to set it off, and why would I seriously make this up? It's not like I said I was grazed with a 50cal but I'm here! it was two gun buddy's visiting with each other and a momentary lapse in judgment led to a firearm being discharged crappy situation pretty scary but a lesson learned that it's not only YOUR firearm handling practices that may lead to you accidentally being shot! I would never hand someone my firearm without unloading and double checking the chamber, he didn't feel that was needed and we see what the end result was! Thankfully no one was hurt and he's only out a brand new stool but it could have been much worse!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP it was two gun buddy's visiting with each other and a momentary lapse in judgment led to a firearm being discharged crappy situation pretty scary but a lesson learned that it's not only YOUR firearm handling practices that may lead to you accidentally being shot!

You need to learn the difference between accidental and negligent. A gun having a catastrophic malfunction that resulted in injury would be accidental. The situation you presented is negligent. It "happened" because someone did not follow the basic tules of firearms safety.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
No there was no defect in the firearm and yes it was loaded it's his backup weapon, I examined it and handed it back to him in the same manner he had given it to me while I was noting I would not carry that in my pocket in sa with or without a safety just before it went off, all I can figure is he flipped the safety to off without realizing it and then pulled the trigger figuring it was safe and being in sa it didn't take much to set it off, and why would I seriously make this up? It's not like I said I was grazed with a 50cal but I'm here! it was two gun buddy's visiting with each other and a momentary lapse in judgment led to a firearm being discharged crappy situation pretty scary but a lesson learned that it's not only YOUR firearm handling practices that may lead to you accidentally being shot! I would never hand someone my firearm without unloading and double checking the chamber, he didn't feel that was needed and we see what the end result was! Thankfully no one was hurt and he's only out a brand new stool but it could have been much worse!

If this happened, and

If you examined it and handed it back to him, loaded...

Shame on BOTH of you.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Shame on BOTH of you.

This.

Take the most basic firearms safety course you can find, even if it means reading on the Internet for ten minutes, and apply what you learn, and this type of incident would be impossible.

Now, think about the absolutely USELESS BULLCRAP they include in the curriculum in public schools. There is absolutely NO reason why basic firearms safety (and electrical and some other safety stuff) should not be required in school. It does not require hands-on training to be effective in saving lives.

Phoenix David

You can hate me but IMO only an idiot would accept a weapon from someone without making sure it was unloaded first and only an idiot would hand uncleared weapon to someone else.

Sounds like you both failed basic gun handling.

CCinMaine

You can hate me but IMO only an idiot would accept a weapon from someone without making sure it was unloaded first and only an idiot would hand uncleared weapon to someone else.

Sounds like you both failed basic gun handling.

Ditto. What do you you do to look at a firearm if you don't clear it? There isn't anything else to see that you can't see in his hands. IF this story is true it was probably your ND. I bet he wrongfully trusted you with a loaded firearm and you looked down the sights to try to look like you knew what you were doing and pulled the trigger. Just be glad Darwinism didn't remove you both from the equation.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus