• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to oc'n

cuban88

I'm new to open carrying and I live in kcmo. I open carried the first time a couple days ago when I had to get detergent at a dollar store in independence. I was nervous but I really didn't get any any weird looks to much. Maybe independence folks are just used to seeing it. I carry my 3.5" 1911 every where I go now. I'm trying to convince my wife that oc is a necessary thing and the more people see it and get used to it, the better chance we have of keeping this privilege. Amy tips or anything related to oc to talk about would be greatly appreciated.

BionicRooster

Welcome to the forum...

I live in Independence, and carry everywhere I go. I've only had 1 issue, and I wasn't even involved. Was between the cop behind me and the cashier(cops motions about my gun, cashier says they have no policy against it) so it turned out to be a non-issue, and kudos to the cashier.

You'll get more positive encounters, like curious people asking,"is THAT legal", or "is that a real gun", and it might make your quick trips to the store take a while longer, as conversations usually start as a result.

justin0629

For Me To Know and You To Not Find Out, United Sta
I have had really good luck with Independence and KCMO. Most of the time no one even notices and the more you carry the better it gets. You take in hours if not days worth of information on this site so when you go out its almost disapointing that no one even notices. But now it feels like I'm just putting on a peace of clothing or grabbing my wallet since I carry where ever we go openly. You will feel kinda bare with out it over time if you have to go with out it for some reson. If my gun is not welcome then I take it as I'm not welcome. I would invest in a recorder tho just so you have some type of safty net if any thing where to arise. There is a meet coming up on saurday if people figure out where they want to go. (Sorry if my spelling sucks :/ ) information is knowledge and knowledge is power

I try to be nice to as many people as I can bc I feel like when I OC I feel like I am making a statment for all of the OCers. People will see that people with firearms out in the open are nicer than others. They hold doors, get stuff off the top shelf. Help pick up change someone droped. Saying thank you and to have a good day. I try to leave a good vibe where I go. To show respect

Last edited:

OC for ME

I'm new to open carrying and I live in kcmo. I open carried the first time a couple days ago when I had to get detergent at a dollar store in independence. I was nervous but I really didn't get any any weird looks to much. Maybe independence folks are just used to seeing it. I carry my 3.5" 1911 every where I go now. I'm trying to convince my wife that oc is a necessary thing and the more people see it and get used to it, the better chance we have of keeping this privilege. Amy tips or anything related to oc to talk about would be greatly appreciated.
Right from being infringed....just being persnickety.....welcome and stay safe.

As to your request, keep doing what you are doing as if you were not armed. Normal folks only see normal folks whether they are armed or not.

A little story. I was at a QT, loading ice into a cooler in the back of my truck. A cop walked out after getting his coffee and told me that my retention strap was unsnapped on my holster. That's it end of "encounter." The funny thing is I did not even notice a uniformed cop next to me while paying for the ice. Normal folks only see normal folks.....or not.

cuban88

I've been open carrying every where i go now and my wife and i went to walmart to some baby shopping and she didnt even realize i had it with me. I guess she is starting to get just as used to it since i told her it's something i'm not giving up doing so easily. so far my only "encounter" was with a guy when i left walmart asking how i managed to make it all the way thru the store and not have a single person say anything to me?... just said i wasnt doing anything i wasnt supposed to. i guess he didnt have such a good experience when he ccw in there. but when you dress like a thug youre probably not givin yourself the best look either...