Thread: How can I learn the do's and don't's of carrying a gun?

How can I learn the do's and don't's of carrying a gun?

I'm 18 and I really wanna start open carrying. The problem is is that I don't know the rules for carrying a gun. I've looked online and it's suggested that I take a CCW class and CCW permits are for age 21+. Are there any specific classes I can take? Or should I just contact the sheriff's department and ask them?

You can start by reading threads on this website. That is how I became aware of open carrying in Michigan. Look at the state laws. Know what wash, rinse and repeat mean. Carry a digital voice recorder. Know where you can and not open carry. Make sure you understand the laws before open carrying, etc.

Read all the stickies at the top of this forum. You might also want to read the other thread you started a week ago asking the same thing - http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...94#post1793794
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Quote Originally Posted by Rainingblood View Post
    should I just contact the sheriff's department and ask them?
    No. A good place to start is read the stickies here and on michiganopencarry.org.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

In addition to the great advice above, meet up for coffee or something with any of us OC veterans. I'm in West Bloomfield, PM me if you want to meet up and learn.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Have you had any training in safe gun handling like a NRA basic Hunters Safety course?
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

PM me, or even just post here if you ever want to meet up. I'm close enough for it to be easy.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Banned
    You can PM me too. Pontiac isnt far from me, and I really enjoy helping the new-bs.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 08-05-2012 at 11:27 PM.

http://forums.miopencarry.org/index.php?topic=25.msg67

That's a good info thread on MOC's forum also.

OP you should not be open carrying until you have adequately researched all the laws associated with firearms and open carry... including transport, PFZ, liquor licenses, etc... there is A LOT for you to learn and if you do not know EXACTLY what you are going you will get your ass in a sling REAL fast. You can pick up a felony and lose your rights to own guns FOREVER.

Do not take this lightly and just start openly carrying all willy nilly... you WILL get jammed up by the police.

Take your time. Research. Ask questions. Attend a OC seminar or event. OC at first only with other more experienced OCers. -GET A VOICE OR VIDEO RECORDER THAT YOU CAN RUN FOR THE DURATION OF THE TIME YOU ARE OCING. THAT MEANS START RECORDING WHEN YOU STEP OUTSIDE OF YOUR HOUSE AND DO NOT STOP UNTIL YOU GET BACK HOME.

I don't mean to discourage you at all, but you really need to think about what you're doing and take the responsibility VERY seriously. I researched and participated on the forums for around 6 months before I first OCed.... outside of my house that is... I OCed in my house and in my yard a ton.

Good luck to you.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainingblood View Post
    I'm 18 and I really wanna start open carrying. The problem is is that I don't know the rules for carrying a gun. I've looked online and it's suggested that I take a CCW class and CCW permits are for age 21+. Are there any specific classes I can take? Or should I just contact the sheriff's department and ask them?
    [Rainingblood] creepy screen name. A couple of things - CCW is a felony - you do not want one. CPL is Concealed Pistol License - you do want one when you turn 21 from MI. Until then you may want to check into a non resident CPL from another state which will allow you to open carry in a grocery store without worrying about getting locked up. MI laws are beyond stupid. Learn the transport laws for non cpl holders and follow them to the letter until you get a cpl. Michigander & DanM are OC vets who know their stuff, I would take them up on their offers to help you get started. Being young will bring you lots of police attention and the more you know up front will help keep you out of trouble.

My troll senses are sendind up red flags on this one guys - I hope I am wrong.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 08-06-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Banned
    A CPL from Maine, (CWP to them) is 60$. I'm waiting for mine to show up in the mail.

ETA: It does NOT cover concealed carry, nor does it cover vehicle carry.

When you can tell me what it does cover, and the law that deals with the subject, then you will start to have a handle on things well enough to begin to OC away from home.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 08-06-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Here, read this:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...s/firearms.pdf

If you have any questions, feel free to ask...
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

[QUOTE=Glock9mmOldStyle;1802748

Yeah, I don't want to speak too soon either but I get the feeling a little. OP posted a couple weeks ago asking a few questions that seemed a little odd. Then no response or posts untill this.

[QUOTE=Adams182;1803107][QUOTE=Glock9mmOldStyle;1802748

Yeah, I don't want to speak too soon either but I get the feeling a little. OP posted a couple weeks ago asking a few questions that seemed a little odd. Then no response or posts until this.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was the same screen name.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 08-08-2012 at 12:14 AM.

If the OP is 18, he or she should know that Slayer had "Reign in Blood" way before he or she was born! I meant to say SSSLLLAAAYYYEEERRRR!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cm2624 View Post
    SSSLLLAAAYYYEEERRRR!!!!!!
    +1

Maybe he got in trouble already
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.