• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How can I learn the do's and don't's of carrying a gun?

Rainingblood

I'm 18 and I really wanna start open carrying. The problem is is that I don't know the rules for carrying a gun. I've looked online and it's suggested that I take a CCW class and CCW permits are for age 21+. Are there any specific classes I can take? Or should I just contact the sheriff's department and ask them?

cm2624

You can start by reading threads on this website. That is how I became aware of open carrying in Michigan. Look at the state laws. Know what wash, rinse and repeat mean. Carry a digital voice recorder. Know where you can and not open carry. Make sure you understand the laws before open carrying, etc.

DanM

In addition to the great advice above, meet up for coffee or something with any of us OC veterans. I'm in West Bloomfield, PM me if you want to meet up and learn.

HKcarrier

OP you should not be open carrying until you have adequately researched all the laws associated with firearms and open carry... including transport, PFZ, liquor licenses, etc... there is A LOT for you to learn and if you do not know EXACTLY what you are going you will get your ass in a sling REAL fast. You can pick up a felony and lose your rights to own guns FOREVER.

Do not take this lightly and just start openly carrying all willy nilly... you WILL get jammed up by the police.

Take your time. Research. Ask questions. Attend a OC seminar or event. OC at first only with other more experienced OCers. -GET A VOICE OR VIDEO RECORDER THAT YOU CAN RUN FOR THE DURATION OF THE TIME YOU ARE OCING. THAT MEANS START RECORDING WHEN YOU STEP OUTSIDE OF YOUR HOUSE AND DO NOT STOP UNTIL YOU GET BACK HOME.

I don't mean to discourage you at all, but you really need to think about what you're doing and take the responsibility VERY seriously. I researched and participated on the forums for around 6 months before I first OCed.... outside of my house that is... I OCed in my house and in my yard a ton.

Good luck to you.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I'm 18 and I really wanna start open carrying. The problem is is that I don't know the rules for carrying a gun. I've looked online and it's suggested that I take a CCW class and CCW permits are for age 21+. Are there any specific classes I can take? Or should I just contact the sheriff's department and ask them?

[Rainingblood] creepy screen name. A couple of things - CCW is a felony - you do not want one. CPL is Concealed Pistol License - you do want one when you turn 21 from MI. Until then you may want to check into a non resident CPL from another state which will allow you to open carry in a grocery store without worrying about getting locked up. MI laws are beyond stupid. Learn the transport laws for non cpl holders and follow them to the letter until you get a cpl. Michigander & DanM are OC vets who know their stuff, I would take them up on their offers to help you get started. Being young will bring you lots of police attention and the more you know up front will help keep you out of trouble.

My troll senses are sendind up red flags on this one guys - I hope I am wrong. :confused:

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
A CPL from Maine, (CWP to them) is 60$. I'm waiting for mine to show up in the mail.

ETA: It does NOT cover concealed carry, nor does it cover vehicle carry.

When you can tell me what it does cover, and the law that deals with the subject, then you will start to have a handle on things well enough to begin to OC away from home.

Last edited:

Adams182

[QUOTE=Glock9mmOldStyle;1802748
My troll senses are sendind up red flags on this one guys - I hope I am wrong. :confused:

Yeah, I don't want to speak too soon either but I get the feeling a little. OP posted a couple weeks ago asking a few questions that seemed a little odd. Then no response or posts untill this.