Thread: Silver State Shooting Sport Association

Silver State Shooting Sport Association

So I went to the gun show at Cashman yesterday and I came across a table for this organization. There was a woman there soliciting new members. Her papers say they are a "NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION Affiliated with NRA, CMP & USA shooting."

I asked the woman if they were affiliated with the NVFAC and she said they are but when questioned further she hemmed a bit and indicated she is a menber of rhe NVFAC. I asked her if her organization is approved by the IRS as a non-profit under 501(c)(3) and she said they are. When I checked the IRS web-site they, like the NVFAC, are not listed as an approved non-profit of any kind.

Does anyone know what/who this organization is and what they do? Or are they just another scam trying to take advantage of our generosity?

Ken
    Last edited by CowboyKen; 08-06-2012 at 01:29 AM.

A search brought up this: http://silverstateshooting.org/

Looks like they've been around since 2006. It appears that they actually have events and communicate with their members and general public.

Not sure about the Non-Profit stuff.

It might be somewhere on the site, but I haven't gone through all of the pages. YMMV.

I see no rational reason to believe they would be a 501(c)3. It doesn't fit.

You might ask her if she has properly filed with the secystate.

http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/corpsearch.aspx

A search comes up negative.
    Last edited by wrightme; 08-05-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    I see no rational reason to believe they would be a 501(c)3. It doesn't fit.
    They claim to be a "NON-PROFIT" and are registered as such with the Nevada SoS. However, to be tax exempt federally they must be recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)something and they are not on the master list.

And I think they could qualify under (c)(3) as they claim:
    It shall also be our objective to:
    Establish youth development programs throughout the state and provide supervision, guidance and encouragement for the purpose of developing knowledge of safe handling and proper care of firearms

Ken

p.s.; On the SoS site search under "Silver State Shooting" and you will find them. http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/Cor...2dPQ%253d%253d
    Last edited by CowboyKen; 08-06-2012 at 01:26 AM.

If I am correct I have Met with them before, I took my son to Nellis AFB early on Saturday as they do a lot of "student age activity's" I sat through the training and got "swept" half a dozen times by the instructor, when I finnally said something he advised me authoritively, "The gun has been disabled" We went to the range, where theyy offer .22 rifle, .22 pistol, .410 shotgun, at a very reasonable price, I donated as well. My son was not impressed but I think it was a valuable program, especially for beginners or single moms that want to give their kids an experiance they wouldn't know how to offer. The instructor who was trying to recruit my son for "the olympic team?" was not impressed with Open Carry (was a few years ago though) If someone has the link handy, I would like it, I know a couple of single mom's!

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    ... I know a couple of single mom's!
    I will gladly donate my services to single moms. No one has a greater need to learn how to defend their family. I'm quite certain it will return good karma. I suppose I would donate both an introductory class before they get their first firearm and/or a CCW class when they are ready. You already know my CCW class emphasizes the legality and advantages of OC as well.

Of course, if it's a very wealthy and good-looking young single mom, it would not be appropriate to donate my services. It would still be appropriate to give her my number, though...
    Last edited by MAC702; 08-06-2012 at 10:30 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip