Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Robin anti 2A?

Red Robin anti 2A?

So I was in Red Robin in Short Pump today. Getting my birthday meal with my son who was getting his own birthday meal with the rest of the family. When the assistant manager comes and asks me if I'm a LEO. Being the honest citizen that I am I told her I'm a LAC and I carry to protect my family. She says that Red Robin has policy that only LEO's can carry in their stores. We talked more and I asked to see the company policy. She called the store manager and I had the chance to talk to him. He informed me it is a corporate store and the corporate policy was to only allow LEO's to carry in their stores. I asked him to provide corporate policy and he told me he doesn't have it. That the soonest he can get it to me is Wednesday. So I left him my contact info and the address to this web-site. He paid for my wifes dinner and we stayed. I did disarm and secured my weapon. Until this is resolved I will not be returning to Red Robin. Even then depending how this turns out I may not return.

I have open carried at this location and two other Red Robin locations without incident. I hope this turns into something positive. Both the store manager and assistant manager were nice. But that alone doesn't stop a criminal. I have condensed the story a lot. But only to save from all the typing on my Kindle. Maybe others already knew their stance. I didn't.
    Last edited by Bowesmobile; 08-05-2012 at 08:14 PM.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    What is a LAC?
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    What is a LAC?
    Less worthy than A Cop

Founder's Club Member
    I've OC'd at RR in Manassas on rt 28 near the airport on several occaisions with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    What is a LAC?
    Legally Armed Citizen

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Red Robin being anti is old news Bowes. I boycotted them years ago.
    They don't serve coffee, the food is diabetic unfriendly and they're anti.

There are too many decent places to eat to even think about Red Robin.

But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

Last edited by wmodavis; 08-05-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Not all of them do this. I've OC at three different ones on the area - Chantilly, Fair Lakes and Manasssas - without any problems.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    Not all of them do this. I've OC at three different ones on the area - Chantilly, Fair Lakes and Manasssas - without any problems.

==========================================
    Yea, I think it's pretty well known that Red Robin does not even know what their own policy is. You could go but it's kind of like Russian roulette as to whether or not they ask you to leave.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 08-05-2012 at 10:15 PM.

I OC'ed locally to one once, no problem.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

I haven't been there all that many times, but never had a problem a Red Robin in Woodbridge.

Blade

I haven't had troubles yet there either...I have plans to meet family at a red robin tomorrow...still going to OC.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Well I guess my question is this. Is there another 2A friendly restaurant that serves a good burger with Jalapenos? Cause thats a tough one to find and it sucks but I'll make the burgers myself if thats what it takes.

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    So, tell me, head honchos of OCDO. What is the point of threads bloviating on and on about these mini-tyrant managers of one food chain after another, making up the rules as they go along, to fit their personal biases. What are we going to DO about it? Will we ever focus on one chain at a time, and work to set precedence that these @#$*%%^s will lose their jobs if they do these things to LAC and their families? Is this kind of thing going to go on forever? Seems to me like we need to make an example out of somebody. I can see the story written up in the trade magazine "Fast Food Franchise," where they do an indepth Human Resources story about "gun-rights groups" going after those "loose cannon" managers who deny 2A rights to their customers, and how managers need to be sure they understand corporate policy, and not to deviate from it. There would be an interview with Van Cleve, and User, from our side. Hardheaded managers will pay a price, personally!

Is this not possible? I'm not trying be ugly, but daggone, what is the endgame here? Please enlighten me on this. Is the status quo all there will ever be?
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

Mornin` Old Virginia Joe...while I understand what your saying and to expose those who won't or don't let those of us who open carry go into their establishment for what they are...what would that accomplish? I personally have been confronted by citizens walking on the street, a few weeks ago by a rather rude older woman and I was polite, answered all her questions and even tried to invite her to have a conversation with me on why she felt she had to be so rude. Didn't happen and she walked away from me muttering.

I think what we need to do, and again, this is only my humble opinion, is to educate those resteraunts, stores, managers, asst. managers, staff, etc. on why they should allow those who carry be in their establishment. If it means asking for a meeting with their higher ups, so be it. Take in literature, articles in support of open carrying, let them know that many of us are serious about what we do, we practice often (least I do), know the laws of our state, and wouldn't hesitate to protect ourselves, our family, and those around us. It does no good to piss off a business who is ignorant to gun rights and those who exercise it, it will only make them feel they are right and they won't be friendly and open to us or our reasons.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia Joe View Post
    So, tell me, head honchos of OCDO. What is the point of threads bloviating on and on about these mini-tyrant managers of one food chain after another, making up the rules as they go along, to fit their personal biases. What are we going to DO about it? Will we ever focus on one chain at a time, and work to set precedence that these @#$*%%^s will lose their jobs if they do these things to LAC and their families? Is this kind of thing going to go on forever? Seems to me like we need to make an example out of somebody. I can see the story written up in the trade magazine "Fast Food Franchise," where they do an indepth Human Resources story about "gun-rights groups" going after those "loose cannon" managers who deny 2A rights to their customers, and how managers need to be sure they understand corporate policy, and not to deviate from it. There would be an interview with Van Cleve, and User, from our side. Hardheaded managers will pay a price, personally!

Is this not possible? I'm not trying be ugly, but daggone, what is the endgame here? Please enlighten me on this. Is the status quo all there will ever be?
    We do change some Joe. As adamant as you are about rights, you aren't suggesting they can't ban guns I'm sure.

BoDo's is a good example. They went from running OC'ers off to begrudgingly allowing everyone.

If Philip got to run interference on all these, only CHiPpers would get burgers. The rest of us would have to eat Potted Meat in the park.

There are a lot more Pro Gun establishments now than anti. As times get tougher, more will either be grateful to have business or go out of business.

At this point there isn’t much more that can be done vs. what we’re doing in bringing enlightenment to the issue and making sure those “of the cause” are aware. While small “mom & pop” establishments may be receptive to the argument and dread the loss of profit in isolating their customer base, the sad truth is that for the large chain stores and eateries who ban carry. . .I’m fairly sure that Open carriers & CC’ers comprise such an infinitesimal percentage of their base, that the loss of our business won’t even register on their quarterly reported earnings.

That is not to say that we shouldn’t make our voices heard, nor should we stop tracking and limit our support of these businesses. By all means we should continue, but with our expectations managed that we’re still small in number and any meaningful changes is decades, rather than months away. If anybody can suggest a *LAWFUL* way to expedite that timeline with a solid methodology on how to accomplish our goals. . .I’m sure we’d all be receptive.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

YOU are the action. If YOU don't do something, nothing will get done. So either contact managers and companies (preferably using proper grammar)

The "head honchos" of OCDO are two people who founded the site, and a small handful of moderators. Philip Van Cleave is a member, not a "honcho". Dan Hawes is a member, not a "honcho". Why must it be one of them who does something? Isn't that contrary to the principle of personal responsibility that many, if not most of us, espouse?

Some chains have both "corporate" and "franchise" locations. SOMETIMES, the managers of the franchise locations can permit things the corporate-owned locations can't; depends on their contract. Sometimes, you can convince those managers to see reason. Sometimes, a well-reasoned argument can convince corporate.

But no one is going to do it for you.
    Last edited by Tess; 08-06-2012 at 01:36 PM.

If anyone would like to contact the General Manager or this location, here's the information to do that.

Robert Green
    General Manager

Short Pump Town Center
    11784 W. Broad Street
    Richmond, Va 23233

Tel : 804-364-6375
    Fax: 804-364-8386

There isn't a E-mail address on the card that was provided to me. I am doing my part. We'll see if Robert does his.
    Last edited by Bowesmobile; 08-06-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    Neither of us is authorized to speak here for anyone but ourselves, and in fact if I intimated that I was speaking for OCDO or VCDL, I would probably be blocked from both organizations. Acting alone, is about as worthless as evacuating my bladder in the wind, and totally a waste of breath and/or keystrokes. I'm willing to do my part. There ARE head dudes here at OCDO, who have multiple thousands of posts here around the clock, and MUCH more experience in 2A issues who are respected as leaders and moderators of the "Cause." If they don't want to lead an effort to ratchet up the pressure, and have the rest of us willing troops follow the plan, then so be it. Of course we should all do our part, but organizations are frequently accused of being "all chiefs and no indians." I don't want these gun rights organizations to end up like that, and I avoid acting as such. I was just asking "is this all there is?" Obviously what we are doing now is just making a longer list of "antis," with a few "converts" asterisked to this list along the way. I guess that makes us feel good. That ain't no way to win, IMHO. I think we ought to identify and target some 100% corporately owned business location which has a rogue manager, get him removed by his bosses, and do it like we mean it. We don't have to represent a large part of society to win. Our current strategy seems like the way we fought Viet Nam to me.
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Legally Armed Citizen
    Your kidding....

Do we really need a name for that?
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    YOU are the action. If YOU don't do something, nothing will get done. So either contact managers and companies (preferably using proper grammar)

The "head honchos" of OCDO are two people who founded the site, and a small handful of moderators. Philip Van Cleave is a member, not a "honcho". Dan Hawes is a member, not a "honcho". Why must it be one of them who does something? Isn't that contrary to the principle of personal responsibility that many, if not most of us, espouse?

Some chains have both "corporate" and "franchise" locations. SOMETIMES, the managers of the franchise locations can permit things the corporate-owned locations can't; depends on their contract. Sometimes, you can convince those managers to see reason. Sometimes, a well-reasoned argument can convince corporate.

But no one is going to do it for you.

Tess, got to your post and didn't even read the rest of the thread. Well said. Don't look to others, do it! Nicely and respectfully and appropriately.

Hard to do sometimes, but letters and emails DO work.

It is fiction, but I love the scene from Shawshank Redemption where Andy gets his funding for a library along with a request from the prison board to PLEASE STOP WRITING TO THEM.

As Sidestreet says in his tag line "we must be relentless."
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by blade10 View Post
    I haven't been there all that many times, but never had a problem a Red Robin in Woodbridge.
    See, now that one the waiter told me I either had to leave or put my gun into my car. It was one of my first times OCing by myself so I didn't think (or know) to ask for the manager. I actually was going to take my gun and lock it in my truck but by the time I got to my truck I was seriously angry and just decided to get in my truck and leave. I had ordered my meal and everything. I still wonder at what point the waiter realized I wasn't coming back.
    =============================

Neither of us is authorized to speak here for anyone but ourselves, and in fact if I intimated that I was speaking for OCDO or VCDL, I would probably be blocked from both organizations. Acting alone, is about as worthless as evacuating my bladder in the wind, and totally a waste of breath and/or keystrokes. I'm willing to do my part. There ARE head dudes here at OCDO, who have multiple thousands of posts here around the clock, and MUCH more experience in 2A issues who are respected as leaders and moderators of the "Cause." If they don't want to lead an effort to ratchet up the pressure, and have the rest of us willing troops follow the plan, then so be it. Of course we should all do our part, but organizations are frequently accused of being "all chiefs and no indians." I don't want these gun rights organizations to end up like that, and I avoid acting as such. I was just asking "is this all there is?" Obviously what we are doing now is just making a longer list of "antis," with a few "converts" asterisked to this list along the way. I guess that makes us feel good. That ain't no way to win, IMHO. I think we ought to identify and target some 100% corporately owned business location which has a rogue manager, get him removed by his bosses, and do it like we mean it. We don't have to represent a large part of society to win. Our current strategy seems like the way we fought Viet Nam to me.
    I'm going to try and respond to both of your questions/concerns in one fell swoop.

Since, as you so cogently note, only the two owners/administrators of OCDO are authorized to speak for the corporate entity that is OCDO, and per the bylaws only the President is authorized to speak for VCDL, that means that neither group may be a meaningful voice for gaining the attention, if not the sympathy, of individual and corporate managers. By "bloviating on and on about these mini-tyrant managers of one food chain after another, making up the rules as they go along, to fit their personal biases" we bring to the attention of those who were not personally afftected but are personally concerned each incident as it happens. It then becomes the decision of the individual to decide what to do about the situation. Do you sit at home and fume that another place you might have spent money at is now crossed off your list, leaving you to consume jerky by the flickering light of your monitor? Or do you find the contact info for the offending venue and its corporate higher-ups and express your displeasure? While you are not "authorized" to speak for me or for any other member of OCDO or VCDL, you are, at least as far as I am concerned, welcome to suggest that members/followers of either/both organization might become aware of the situation and arrive at the same decision as you have - to no longer patronize the establishment/any establishment under the same policy so long as the offensive policy remains in force. If you are a good complainer, as opposed to being a whinger, you probably are also going to tell your point of contact that you intend to encourage others to not patronize the establishment/any establishment under the same policy.

If someone else does the research to find the appropriate contact information it means I can fire off a phone call and/or email to express my disappointment in the experience of a fellow supporter of the right to self defense.* Who knows, mine landing on top of all the other contacts expressing disappointment may be the one that tips the scale. Or it might be just another complaint that falls on (relatively) deaf ears because the receiver just does not perceive it as being a big enough issue to worry about.

stay safe.

* Since private property owners cannot infringe on any constitutional right, the issue needs to be labled appropriately. Red Robin does not care about my right to self defense. The cafeteria in the basement of the County Administration Building once thought they could infringe on my 2nd Amendment right. One is private, the other is part of "the government".
    Last edited by skidmark; 08-07-2012 at 12:15 AM.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast