• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Red Robin anti 2A?

Old Virginia Joe

Neither of us is authorized to speak here for anyone but ourselves, and in fact if I intimated that I was speaking for OCDO or VCDL, I would probably be blocked from both organizations. Acting alone, is about as worthless as evacuating my bladder in the wind, and totally a waste of breath and/or keystrokes. I'm willing to do my part. There ARE head dudes here at OCDO, who have multiple thousands of posts here around the clock, and MUCH more experience in 2A issues who are respected as leaders and moderators of the "Cause." If they don't want to lead an effort to ratchet up the pressure, and have the rest of us willing troops follow the plan, then so be it. Of course we should all do our part, but organizations are frequently accused of being "all chiefs and no indians." I don't want these gun rights organizations to end up like that, and I avoid acting as such. I was just asking "is this all there is?" Obviously what we are doing now is just making a longer list of "antis," with a few "converts" asterisked to this list along the way. I guess that makes us feel good. That ain't no way to win, IMHO. I think we ought to identify and target some 100% corporately owned business location which has a rogue manager, get him removed by his bosses, and do it like we mean it. We don't have to represent a large part of society to win. Our current strategy seems like the way we fought Viet Nam to me.

riverrat10k

YOU are the action. If YOU don't do something, nothing will get done. So either contact managers and companies (preferably using proper grammar)

The "head honchos" of OCDO are two people who founded the site, and a small handful of moderators. Philip Van Cleave is a member, not a "honcho". Dan Hawes is a member, not a "honcho". Why must it be one of them who does something? Isn't that contrary to the principle of personal responsibility that many, if not most of us, espouse?

Some chains have both "corporate" and "franchise" locations. SOMETIMES, the managers of the franchise locations can permit things the corporate-owned locations can't; depends on their contract. Sometimes, you can convince those managers to see reason. Sometimes, a well-reasoned argument can convince corporate.

But no one is going to do it for you.

Tess, got to your post and didn't even read the rest of the thread. Well said. Don't look to others, do it! Nicely and respectfully and appropriately.

Hard to do sometimes, but letters and emails DO work.

It is fiction, but I love the scene from Shawshank Redemption where Andy gets his funding for a library along with a request from the prison board to PLEASE STOP WRITING TO THEM.

As Sidestreet says in his tag line "we must be relentless."

Steeler-gal

I haven't been there all that many times, but never had a problem a Red Robin in Woodbridge.
See, now that one the waiter told me I either had to leave or put my gun into my car. It was one of my first times OCing by myself so I didn't think (or know) to ask for the manager. I actually was going to take my gun and lock it in my truck but by the time I got to my truck I was seriously angry and just decided to get in my truck and leave. I had ordered my meal and everything. I still wonder at what point the waiter realized I wasn't coming back.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So, tell me, head honchos of OCDO. What is the point of threads bloviating on and on about these mini-tyrant managers of one food chain after another, making up the rules as they go along, to fit their personal biases. What are we going to DO about it? Will we ever focus on one chain at a time, and work to set precedence that these @#$*%%^s will lose their jobs if they do these things to LAC and their families? Is this kind of thing going to go on forever? Seems to me like we need to make an example out of somebody. I can see the story written up in the trade magazine "Fast Food Franchise," where they do an indepth Human Resources story about "gun-rights groups" going after those "loose cannon" managers who deny 2A rights to their customers, and how managers need to be sure they understand corporate policy, and not to deviate from it. There would be an interview with Van Cleve, and User, from our side. Hardheaded managers will pay a price, personally!

Is this not possible? I'm not trying be ugly, but daggone, what is the endgame here? Please enlighten me on this. Is the status quo all there will ever be?

Neither of us is authorized to speak here for anyone but ourselves, and in fact if I intimated that I was speaking for OCDO or VCDL, I would probably be blocked from both organizations. Acting alone, is about as worthless as evacuating my bladder in the wind, and totally a waste of breath and/or keystrokes. I'm willing to do my part. There ARE head dudes here at OCDO, who have multiple thousands of posts here around the clock, and MUCH more experience in 2A issues who are respected as leaders and moderators of the "Cause." If they don't want to lead an effort to ratchet up the pressure, and have the rest of us willing troops follow the plan, then so be it. Of course we should all do our part, but organizations are frequently accused of being "all chiefs and no indians." I don't want these gun rights organizations to end up like that, and I avoid acting as such. I was just asking "is this all there is?" Obviously what we are doing now is just making a longer list of "antis," with a few "converts" asterisked to this list along the way. I guess that makes us feel good. That ain't no way to win, IMHO. I think we ought to identify and target some 100% corporately owned business location which has a rogue manager, get him removed by his bosses, and do it like we mean it. We don't have to represent a large part of society to win. Our current strategy seems like the way we fought Viet Nam to me.

I'm going to try and respond to both of your questions/concerns in one fell swoop.

Since, as you so cogently note, only the two owners/administrators of OCDO are authorized to speak for the corporate entity that is OCDO, and per the bylaws only the President is authorized to speak for VCDL, that means that neither group may be a meaningful voice for gaining the attention, if not the sympathy, of individual and corporate managers. By "bloviating on and on about these mini-tyrant managers of one food chain after another, making up the rules as they go along, to fit their personal biases" we bring to the attention of those who were not personally afftected but are personally concerned each incident as it happens. It then becomes the decision of the individual to decide what to do about the situation. Do you sit at home and fume that another place you might have spent money at is now crossed off your list, leaving you to consume jerky by the flickering light of your monitor? Or do you find the contact info for the offending venue and its corporate higher-ups and express your displeasure? While you are not "authorized" to speak for me or for any other member of OCDO or VCDL, you are, at least as far as I am concerned, welcome to suggest that members/followers of either/both organization might become aware of the situation and arrive at the same decision as you have - to no longer patronize the establishment/any establishment under the same policy so long as the offensive policy remains in force. If you are a good complainer, as opposed to being a whinger, you probably are also going to tell your point of contact that you intend to encourage others to not patronize the establishment/any establishment under the same policy.

If someone else does the research to find the appropriate contact information it means I can fire off a phone call and/or email to express my disappointment in the experience of a fellow supporter of the right to self defense.* Who knows, mine landing on top of all the other contacts expressing disappointment may be the one that tips the scale. Or it might be just another complaint that falls on (relatively) deaf ears because the receiver just does not perceive it as being a big enough issue to worry about.

stay safe.

* Since private property owners cannot infringe on any constitutional right, the issue needs to be labled appropriately. Red Robin does not care about my right to self defense. The cafeteria in the basement of the County Administration Building once thought they could infringe on my 2nd Amendment right. One is private, the other is part of "the government".

Last edited:

Bowesmobile

Definitely well put skid! We can all independently chose to strive for the same goal. This also makes it a greater part of the community in the managers eyes instead of one organization.

paramedic

What is a LAC?

I understood this to be LAW ABIDING CITIZEN, maybe it is time for someone to repost all of the accronyms for those of us that do not know them all:lol:

Joe
I do not believe that by speaking up and doing your part that you are speaking for OCDO or VCDL. You are doing your part to bring awarness to the general public that (in large part due to the media) does not fully understand their 2A rights, that includes the right to OC. There have been many cases posted on here that members have run across an anti establishment, and acted on it. I do not believe I have ever seen one harsh word spoken(typed) by the so called "honchos" of OCDO. In fact I have seen nothing but encouragement from those charged with making this site a success. I recently had an encounter with a movie theater not part of any big chain, but still anti. After I spoke with the owner, I posted every thing, and as I recall, never received a harsh word from anyone on here.

Oh, and since this thread was orginally about Red Robin...Myself and my family, all of whom OC have eaten at the one in Chantilly several times. It is very close to the range.

cwolfs69

have oc'd at the one at chesapeake square mall the few times i have been there. no problems or i would have left and not returned. do not go often due to diabetes and heart, but once in a blue moon. no problems at this one.

Bowesmobile

It's Wednesday and I'm waiting to see if Robert will keep his word and provide me with corporate policy.

I decided to do a search and I found this document. Check out the second paragraph in section one and section five paragraph "A" seems to contradict what Heir Robert told me. So we'll see how this plays out.

Attachments

• TM Code of Ethics10-2010final PDF.pdf
    199.5 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

grylnsmn

It's Wednesday and I'm waiting to see if Robert will keep his word and provide me with corporate policy.

I decided to do a search and I found this document. Check out the second paragraph in section one and section five paragraph "A" seems to contradict what Heir Robert told me. So we'll see how this plays out.

I'm not sure that those paragraphs actually contradict a no-firearms policy. They only say that they will follow the law's requirements. Nothing in Virginia law requires them to allow firearms on their property (such requirements only apply to localities, not private businesses). As such, they can follow the law and still exercise their right to control their property by prohibiting firearms.

Bowesmobile

I'm not sure that those paragraphs actually contradict a no-firearms policy. They only say that they will follow the law's requirements. Nothing in Virginia law requires them to allow firearms on their property (such requirements only apply to localities, not private businesses). As such, they can follow the law and still exercise their right to control their property by prohibiting firearms.

The problem is Robert told me corporate policy was to only allow LEO's to carry in their establishment. Which from what I read is not true. He also told me he would provide me with documentation to prove his claim. But from what research I have done, there isn't a policy. So that means he has gone rogue and I need to contact up the chain further to make sure he and his staff are properly educated on what Red Robins stance truly is. If he doesn't want anyone to open carry in his store then, no problem. I wont give his store money and I will discourage others to do the same.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
The problem is Robert told me corporate policy was to only allow LEO's to carry in their establishment. Which from what I read is not true. He also told me he would provide me with documentation to prove his claim. But from what research I have done, there isn't a policy. So that means he has gone rogue and I need to contact up the chain further to make sure he and his staff are properly educated on what Red Robins stance truly is. If he doesn't want anyone to open carry in his store then, no problem. I wont give his store money and I will discourage others to do the same.
Received this from Corporate:

Hi John,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your comments and feedback. Red
Robin company policy prohibits our Team Members, Guests and Vendors from
possessing weapons on Red Robin premises regardless of whether or not the person
is licensed to carry the weapon.

The only exception to this policy is those individuals employed in local,
state and federal law enforcement that are required to carry a weapon as part of
their duty to protect and serve the public.

Thanks again for your comments.

Red Robin Guest Relations
Follow Us

Bolding mine:mad:. Red Robin on my No Go List!

They Don't understand The Police have no duty to protect the public!:banghead:

Last edited:

Bowesmobile

Well it seems Heir Robert has not sent me any information. After reading what Wolf_shadow received. I guess they're on my do not patronize list. Too bad for them. I'm done.

627PCFan

Wolf_shadow; do you have POC information for us? Id like to send a letter. I have OC'ed in the Sterling RR everytime I visited since 2009 and never had a problem but would like to send a letter about me taking my business elsewhere.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Wolf_shadow; do you have POC information for us? Id like to send a letter. I have OC'ed in the Sterling RR everytime I visited since 2009 and never had a problem but would like to send a letter about me taking my business elsewhere.
Not a direct contact for an individual. I went to http://www.redrobin.com/contact_us and filled out their contact form. If you go to http://www.redrobin.com/about and scroll down you will see pictures of the leadership but couldn't find contact info for them.
John