• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

From Illinois

RCT

I took a CC class yesterday in Wisconsin from A Utah instructor for a Utah permit.
Colorado does not recognize my CC permit because it states resident permits only to be recognized. Assuming that if I lived in Wis. it would recognize that.
Does this mean that I can open carry?
How about thru Denver do I need to lock it up?

M-Taliesin

Does this mean that I can open carry?
How about thru Denver do I need to lock it up?

Howdy Amigo!
As a former Illinoisan myself, I can help put your mind at ease. Welcome to a free state. Well, free except for Denver city and county, that is. Kinda like Chicago, they just don't have much affection for folks that want a sidearm for self defense. Side note; Chicago is one of those places where crime is outrageously high, likely as a direct result of their anti-carry policies, but that another topic.

Here in Colorado, you can open carry everywhere except government buildings, school zones, etc.
Nobody will pay you much mind if you open carry here. Just don't do it in Denver city or county.

When passing through Denver in a private automobile, you can carry open. You do not need to lock up your weapon and stow it in the trunk or any of that nonsense that makes Illinois so priceless when it comes to 2a rights being denied. Your car is considered an extension of your home, so you can carry however pleases you in a private automobile or similar means of conveyance.

There is a great deal to see and do in Colorado, and you won't miss much by crossing Denver off your list.

Colorado Springs, Aurora, and everywhere else you might travel in the state will be fine for you to open carry. Just so you know how we think around these parts, I'll provide you a quote or two from Article 2, sections 3 and 13 of our Colorado Constitution:

Section 3. Inalienable rights. All persons have certain natural, essential and inalienable rights, among which may be reckoned the right of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties; of acquiring, possessing and protecting property; and of seeking and obtaining their safety and happiness.

Section 13. Right to bear arms. The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

Notice, if you will please, that section 3 states clearly enough that all persons (not residents of Colorado) have natural, essential and inalienable rights.
Follow that with section 13 stating "The right of no PERSON to keep and bear arms", not just citizens of Colorado, but persons. If you happen to be a person, you have the right to carry openly for your defense of home, person and property, etc, etc.

The last line states this doesn't convey an inherent right to concealed carry, but you can sure as shooting carry openly.

No permit is necessary, required or even exists for open carry!!!

Bear in mind, as you read the foregoing, I am not an attorney.

Because Denver disregarded an individual who had a permit from Utah, but wasn't a resident of Utah, Denver denied him the right to carry under the permit he held. They also deny the right of open carry. Ergo, Denver landed themselves in court and that case is waiting on a decision. And we wait, and wait, and wait. There is speculation that the 10th district is holding to see what the 7th district (in Illinois no less) decides on the Moore case (et al) vs. Illinois. Ironic, ain't it?

Anyhow, long story short,.... you can carry openly everywhere in Colorado except where prohibited (government building, school zones, etc) and of course, the infamous city and county of Denver.

All that as preamble, what part of Illinois are you from?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

RCT

I agree Colorado is a beautiful state as I was just there last year, went thru Denver in the dark.
Hopefully Illinois will get there head out of their butts, In the state of Chicago you can own a pistol it needs to stay inside tho,
I live in the NW corner of Illinois so I am far away from there.

Thankyou for answering my question