• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

50 State OC/CC Reference Chart

09jisaac

Kentucky:

OC w/o CDWL: Yes
OC w CDWL: Yes
CC w/o CDWL: Only on private land you own or named relative
CC w CDWL: Yes
LGOC (Long gun OC???): Yes, Loaded
Disclosure (must inform an officer you are carrying?): No
Vehicle OC: Yes, in plain sight or in factory installed compartment
K-12: In your vehicle
College: Not illegal in statute, colleges can "rule" it out. (Basically it is not against the law to carry, but they can say you can't)
State parks Carry: Yes
Off Limits: Loaded carry in places that serve alcohol to be consumed on premises; Public buildings can limit CC; Jails/prisoner holding places;

Suggested add: Signs having weight of law. In Kentucky they don't.

I support what you are doing. This will greatly help people traveling.

Last edited:

09jisaac

I should probably clarify what I meant by colleges can "rule" it out. It is like all private business in Kentucky. My land my rules, it isn't against the law to break the rules. If you are a student you can be expelled for carrying, if you work there you can be fired. But they can't have you arrested for carrying (unless there is a law against breaking rules).

Edit: Thanks Mottofixxer for correcting my spelling.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Similarly in Michigan, except that colleges are not subject to preemption due to some loophole in the constitution and some bad case law. State law says that you can carry as long as you are not in a class or dorm, however colleges are able to pass and enforce ordinances against the law abiding citizen. The penalties can include jail.

sudden valley gunner

Hit up 1234A Defender, he did a lot of leg work on it if I was better at excel I would have made a spread sheet that you could click your state and find out the relative info about the other states.

1245A Defender

Well,,,well,,, or wowwie....

Hit up 1234A Defender, he did a lot of leg work on it if I was better at excel I would have made a spread sheet that you could click your state and find out the relative info about the other states.
thanks for the shout out Rob... missed my screen name by ...that much,, but you still get a cigar!

I did make a chart 2 years ago.
My chart lists 50..1 places... most are states,,some are commonwealths,, 1 is just a district,,D.C....
My chart tells me where open carry is accepted.
where open carry is Golden...
where constitutional carry is.
where my washington permit is honored.
where my non res. Utah permit is honored.
what states only allow open carry with an honored permit.
what states will issue a non res. permit.
what states only honor reisdent permits... 6 states... 2 of them like my washington permit...
.... Wow ...more thoughts. other states like..Iliniose , California, New jersy, Hawaii dont really issue permits so they cant be counted....
what states have full preemption.
each states lawful carry of a gun in your car without a permit.
and...what states requirer "duty to notify!!!

I have tried to keep up with changes,,, but I might have missed some.
If I was planning a trip, I would study those states in particular to make sure...

mostly my sources are OCDO maps, and handgunlaw.us

ETA... most of the info applies to all the states.
Permits.. are state specific..

guess what... Michigan.. has the most accepted permit in the country!
Michigan also has some of the most convoluted gun laws in the country!

Last edited: