Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police: Cop Accidentally Shoots Fellow Officer

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar

Police: Cop Accidentally Shoots Fellow Officer

"I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

That seems a bit hostile.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Banned
    pitbulls charged him ... right, they were likely just trying to shoot them 'cause they can...maybe he shot himself ...

They still have not figured out if the cop was hit by a richochet or not? Has anybody bothered to actually look at the wound, or to recover the bullet? It really should not need CSI to answer that question.

Some days the level of knowlege, skill, and ability astounds me - for the lack of all three. But then, I am an optimist -- especially when it come to the police.[/Jack Nicholson dripping sarcasm voice]

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    That article is written so badly that it's hard to follow what they "think" happened let along figure out what actually happened.
    But that "Unfortunately" comment seems unnecessary and hostile. Why Unfortunately? Do you really wish/think the cop deserved to die? What's up with that?
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    That article is written so badly that it's hard to follow what they "think" happened let along figure out what actually happened.
    But that "Unfortunately" comment seems unnecessary and hostile. Why Unfortunately? Do you really wish/think the cop deserved to die? What's up with that?
    I'm with you on this one. I am a dog lover too. But know human life is way more valuable. Plus we have no idea what is going on here, did someone sic the dogs on them, did they jump a gate and were in an element they shouldn't have been in......too many variables to make any sort of judgement.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I'm with you on this one. I am a dog lover too. But know human life is way more valuable. Plus we have no idea what is going on here, did someone sic the dogs on them, did they jump a gate and were in an element they shouldn't have been in......too many variables to make any sort of judgement.
    I don't know any dog that tried to restrict our right to carry ... so they are more valuable than some humans.

Founder's Club Member
    This is the sort of comment that can come back to bite its author. For example, in self-defense shooting with a few ambiguous circumstances, where the door is open to a prosecutor, this type of comment can be used to show an author does not have due regard for life.

Best to avoid these kinds of comments.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

well,,,

oopsy
    wrong thread
    never mind...
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 08-07-2012 at 04:12 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    This is the sort of comment that can come back to bite its author. For example, in self-defense shooting with a few ambiguous circumstances, where the door is open to a prosecutor, this type of comment can be used to show an author does not have due regard for life.

It is a pretty lousy thing to say. But I was curious how people would react to it compared to the same thing said about another non-leo human shooting each other by accident.
    Last edited by twoskinsonemanns; 08-07-2012 at 08:58 AM.

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/0...h-minneapolis/

An they want to take our firearms away from us?

Citizen I generally agree with your statement. but I was wondering if you know of any examples of this you could site. I am curious if if had ever happened in a specific case.

Just for the record my post about in being unfortunate was disingenuous. I noticed a poster said something very similar about a hunter shooting another hunter and no one seemed to care. Just as a social experiment I googled for it happening to a cop to see if MY statement would also be met apathetically.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Did some of the poster in the other thread change their stance when it was a cop, was your experiment a success? Did they even post in this thread?

I am by no means a cop apologist, and feel the whole "proactive" law enforcement idea is unconstitutional. So I do tend to judge their actions more harshly than the average citizen.

It is just as disturbing to me someone would wish a hunter dead as they would a cop.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    was your experiment a success? Did they even post in this thread?
    Well the experiment couldn't really fail. I was just wondering if anyone would reprimand me for making such a repugnant comment about a cop.

The poster I was referring to didn't comment but that wasn't the point, I didn't want to pick a fight about their comment or I would have done it in that thread. I was not offended or anything by their comment, just curious.

Founder's Club Member
    Citizen I generally agree with your statement. but I was wondering if you know of any examples of this you could site. I am curious if if had ever happened in a specific case.
    Remember the George Zimmerman case from just a few weeks ago? Some of his internet postings were being reported in the lamestream news media. I don't recall any specifics. Nor, do I recall whether those postings were found and forwarded by private citizens, the news media itself, or law enforcement.

I do however recall an article by Massad Ayoob several years ago where he reported police and plaintiffs would subpoena internet postings during investigation and discovery. The article was totally meant as a cautionary tale against tough-guy talk on the internet. One of his points was that when things get serious, for example a shooting is pretty dammed serious, the anonymity of the internet is little protection. Forum owners will be forced by subpoena to give up their user's information and post history.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Remember the George Zimmerman case from just a few weeks ago? Some of his internet postings were being reported in the lamestream news media. .
    Of course I remember Zimmerman but wow I hadn't heard about the internet posts part of it.
    I'll look it up.

Also I'm not calling you or Massad Ayoob out, it's sensible advice. I just have never heard of this being used in a case, specifically one where comments on a "supposedly" anonymous forum were tied to an actual defendant and used against them.
    Last edited by twoskinsonemanns; 08-07-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Cop 1: Hold still!.....quit jumping around!.....
    Cop 2: (dog latched on to leg).....I''m trying.....just don't miss.....
    Cop 1: Yeah yeah......you ain't helping.....
    Cop 2: Hurry up will ya.....
    Cop 1: Ya know, it is just about time for lunch.....you could be on your own ya know.....no hold still dang it.....BANG
    Cop 2: DANG!!!....I told you to be careful.....
    Cop 1: Man are we in trouble.....and I missed the dog.....Sarge is gunna be pissed.....
    Cop 2: Man this hurts.....you idiot.....man (wincing in pain) my wife is gunna kill me.....after she kills you you nitwit.....
    Cop 1: I guess the man's golf weekend is shot..... dang this sucks.....
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Founder's Club Member
    Of course I remember Zimmerman but wow I hadn't heard about the internet posts part of it.
    I'll look it up.

Also I'm not calling you or Massad Ayoob out, it's sensible advice. I just have never heard of this being used in a case, specifically one where comments on a "supposedly" anonymous forum where tied to an actual defendant and used against them.
    I understand. I didn't know about it, either, until I read the Ayoob article.

I think his article is at...let me look it up for you this evening. I know kinda where to look, but I can't remember exactly the name of the website.
    Last edited by Citizen; 08-07-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Cop 1: Hold still!.....quit jumping around!.....
    Cop 2: (dog latched on to leg).....I''m trying.....just don't miss.....
    Cop 1: Yeah yeah......you ain't helping.....
    Cop 2: Hurry up will ya.....
    Cop 1: Ya know, it is just about time for lunch.....you could be on your own ya know.....no hold still dang it.....BANG
    Cop 2: DANG!!!....I told you to be careful.....
    Cop 1: Man are we in trouble.....and I missed the dog.....Sarge is gunna be pissed.....
    Cop 2: Man this hurts.....you idiot.....man (wincing in pain) my wife is gunna kill me.....after she kills you you nitwit.....
    Cop 1: I guess the man's golf weekend is shot..... dang this sucks.....
    Forgot 1 line
    Cop1: Oh, look, the dog is real friendly ... that's a good boy..good boy ..I'm taking him home to my 2 children to play with..I told you to put that pastrami sandwich in the refrigerator at the station and not in your pants!

Last edited by Fuller Malarkey; 08-07-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

Founder's Club Member
    I'll look it up.

Also I'm not calling you or Massad Ayoob out, it's sensible advice. I just have never heard of this being used in a case, specifically one where comments on a "supposedly" anonymous forum were tied to an actual defendant and used against them.
    Found it. Next to last paragraph at the link below. The entire article is worth reading. Also, he has a couple dozen articles published at the same website.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob105.html

I used to believe the line about "the dog was charging me",
    about like I used to believe the line about "officer safety".

Then I had an (ex) friend whose dog was shot by an officer after someone walking by opened the gate & let him out, then claimed he bit her ankle & she called police & an ambulance.
    This dog wouldn't bite anyone.
    Ever.
    It had been conditioned from puppyhood not to lay a tooth on any human.
    But the officer who responded claimed the dog charged him so he "had to" shoot it.

Problem is, he apparently had one of those magical Hollywood bullets from the Matrix, the kind that can turn 90 degrees in flight, 'cause the dog was shot sideways through the lungs... while supposedly charging toward the officer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Malarkey View Post
    What's the deal with the police declaring war on our dogs?
    y[/url]
    Police have become rabid ..... they are just HS graduates folks ... not in the army where if you screw up then your get screwed. Cops when they screw up, have a union to say they did right. Stop calling them "officers" to start - they do not deserve this title...and take action to lower your local PD #s, their pay, and take away their toys. Then they'll have to start acting like policemen should behave.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Police have become rabid ..... they are just HS graduates folks ... not in the army where if you screw up then your get screwed. Cops when they screw up, have a union to say they did right. Stop calling them "officers" to start - they do not deserve this title...and take action to lower your local PD #s, their pay, and take away their toys. Then they'll have to start acting like policemen should behave.
    Hey! Would you mind toning down your generalized anti-cop rhetoric aka cop-bashing? You're going to get the thread locked for the rest of us.

Don't think we can get much more mileage out of this story.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast