• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a gun range that will allow me to teach classes

av8tr1

I'm a NRA certified instructor who is new to the area. I'm looking for a range that might be open to me teaching NRA classes on occasion. I've been running into some issues with the local ranges not open to outside instructors. Anyone know of a range local to the Seattle area that is open to allowing outside instructors use their facilities for the occasional class/student? I do carry insurance. I know I could just find an open area in a national park but I hate going up to the forest with clients as it looks unprofessional.

amlevin

A good number of ranges either have instruction as a part of their product mix or have arrangements in place with other instructors. Your teaching at their facility would be in competition to their offerings if that's the case.

Trigger Dr

Go over to the Waguns.org forum and PM OldKim. He probably can give you more info re this than all of our members combined.

oldkim

NRA instructor

Yes please PM. I'll post more as I can.

Basics:
If you are looking at going indoor. Pretty tough as mentioned above as most indoor ranges will have their "own" staff of instructors and you'll be infringing on their business. Also the legalities get a bit fuzzy about your insurance and most importantly their loss of funds unless you pay them a portion (just depends on how much you charge and who you know).

For outdoor ranges - it's all about the size and extent of what you need (classroom, range etc). If it's a busy day at the range... getting range time and the ability to change out targets, etc can be challenging. (most mid week mid day should be good).

Again, there are a lot of factors here. PM or email me and we can talk about the details.

oldkim@aol.com

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Champion Arms allowed my CJTC instructor use there range for qualifications.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Case by Case....

Yes please PM. I'll post more as I can.

Basics:
If you are looking at going indoor. Pretty tough as mentioned above as most indoor ranges will have their "own" staff of instructors and you'll be infringing on their business. Also the legalities get a bit fuzzy about your insurance and most importantly their loss of funds unless you pay them a portion (just depends on how much you charge and who you know).

For outdoor ranges - it's all about the size and extent of what you need (classroom, range etc). If it's a busy day at the range... getting range time and the ability to change out targets, etc can be challenging. (most mid week mid day should be good).

Again, there are a lot of factors here. PM or email me and we can talk about the details.

oldkim@aol.com

You can PM me as well and we can chat about what I can do at Champion. oldkim covers the legalities and competition portion, but I may be able to help...

av8tr1

Thanks everyone for the posts. I was on TDY and this was the first chance I could respond. I PM'ed Gogodawgs and Oldkim and another from a range I happen to be a member of who said no previously. So I'll keep you all posted. One of these days I'll try to find some time to meet you guys for coffee.

oldkim

Federal Way Discount Guns and Range

Just returned from the new Federal Way Discount Guns and Range.

The range isn't opened yet (September) but the store is very nice. A little more expanded selection of what they usually carry - very nice layout and store.

The range is a scheduled to open in the next few weeks in September. They recommend you call and check if you are looking to go to their range.

As for teaching - they are developing the otherside for a classroom and additional range for teaching. They are taking applications from instructors so you might want to check with them.