Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D printing may spell the beginning of the end for gun control

3D printing may spell the beginning of the end for gun control

The lower receiver of the gun pictured at the top of this article was not purchased from a licensed dealer, nor was it purchased from an individual.

This lower was ‘printed’ using a 3D printer and it may spell the beginning of the end for the gun control movement.

And thanks to engineer Michael Guslick, who ‘printed’ the lower pictured above from a design of his own creation, 3D printing of functional firearms has moved beyond the realm of the possible into the actual; and things will never be the same again.

Read more at http://monachuslex.com/?p=1447

Printing a 3D receiver in polymer to mimic one that was constructed in aluminum or other metals probably isn't the best idea from an engineering standpoint but.....

... printing a 3D receiver in polymer while taking into account the differences between aluminum and polymer can lead to some wonderful, advanced designs. The only thing a 3d lower really needs is a steel sub-chassis to hold the pins firmly and you're well on the way to having a lower that can last for years of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Printing a 3D receiver in polymer to mimic one that was constructed in aluminum or other metals probably isn't the best idea from an engineering standpoint but.....

... printing a 3D receiver in polymer while taking into account the differences between aluminum and polymer can lead to some wonderful, advanced designs. The only thing a 3d lower really needs is a steel sub-chassis to hold the pins firmly and you're well on the way to having a lower that can last for years of use.
    And steel and other metals are possible as well. See

http://www.ponoko.com/make-and-sell/...tainless-steel

http://3dprinting.com/materials/meta...rinting-metal/

http://www.shapeways.com/themes/stai...inting_gallery

*facepalm*

I hate this story. As far as I know, the only proof that this story is true, is the originator's own words. Which ain't reliable. We could claim anything. A big concern I have is the media using it to fearmonger. "NEW TECHNOLOGY LETS YOU DOWNLOAD AUTOMATIC DEATH MACHINES!!!" -____-

The whole "gun control is doomed!" angle is purely the product of anti-rights advocates fearmongering trying to reinvigorate the anti-rights base.

Does anyone truly believe this tech will lead to a libertarian revolution? I only see new legislation aimed at censoring and severely regulating the internet, 3D printers and anything else connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    *facepalm*

I hate this story. As far as I know, the only proof that this story is true, is the originator's own words. Which ain't reliable. We could claim anything. A big concern I have is the media using it to fearmonger. "NEW TECHNOLOGY LETS YOU DOWNLOAD AUTOMATIC DEATH MACHINES!!!" -____-

The whole "gun control is doomed!" angle is purely the product of anti-rights advocates fearmongering trying to reinvigorate the anti-rights base.

Does anyone truly believe this tech will lead to a libertarian revolution? I only see new legislation aimed at censoring and severely regulating the internet, 3D printers and anything else connected.
    I don't think anyone sees a 'revolution'. Rather, it moves the bar as far as the public policy argument is concerned. That is the focus of my interest in the story; hence my article.

As for hating it because it might give rise to further demands for gun control ... you can't put the genie back in the bottle. The story is out there.

Banned
    3d printers have been around for 20 yrs...you won't find one at best buy

I give Lautenberg 3 months before he tries to pass 3D printer control.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    This is hardly science fiction.

CAD controlled milling machines and laser cutters are common place in many industries.

See this as just another step in a similar direction.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    3d printers have been around for 20 yrs...you won't find one at best buy
    ...not today, but soon. Time was that you couldn't find CD-burners at BB either.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I've seen 3D printers maker some very cool stuff. I don't think this is "far off" or "unlikely to happen" at all.

Also their are already very reliable polymer AR lowers available right now.

OT: One other thing, anyone can buy an 80% complete aluminum lower without a serial number or FFL transfer and finish it themselves with a little machining. Completely legal.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Doesn't matter how you do it that would still be manufacturing a gun without a license which is still very illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by ALOC1911 View Post
    Doesn't matter how you do it that would still be manufacturing a gun without a license which is still very illegal.

Could you site this law your referring to?

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Well heck.....I'm gunna order my 3D printer right away and start cranking out lowers.....sigh.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I don't think we have anything to look forward to with 3D printers.

My POS 2D printer doesn't print black in white half the time without an hour or so of troubleshooting first.
    It's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it...

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Could you site this law your referring to?
    1st question on the list of frequently asked questions states a license is required to manufacture guns.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html

If you search for this on google (27 CFR 478.41) you'll find a letter stating the gun control act of 1968 says anyone wishing to manufacture guns must get a license from the atty gen. before doing so.
    Last edited by ALOC1911; 08-08-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ALOC1911 View Post
    1st question on the list of frequently asked questions states a license is required to manufacture guns.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html

If you search for this on google (27 CFR 478.41) you'll find a letter stating the gun control act of 1968 says anyone wishing to manufacture guns must get a license from the atty gen. before doing so.

note the words "engages in the business of" preceding "manufacture" in your link.

If one keeps the firearm for personal use and it's not an NFA firearm, there's no law prohibiting the manufacture of firearms ....yet ...... until/unless one decides to sell it - then you need to be licensed
    Last edited by RockyMtnScotsman; 08-08-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnScotsman View Post
    note the words "engages in the business of" preceding "manufacture" in your link.

If one keeps the firearm for personal use and it's not an NFA firearm, there's no law prohibiting the manufacture of firearms ....yet ...... until/unless one decides to sell it - then you need to be licensed
    Bingo!

Banned
    Ha .. inappropriate=no sense of humor ....

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    John is right once the Genie is out of the bottle, technology and human ingenuity will advance the product. I do see a future in this.

But be prepared for more government control because "terrorists" are printing off guns.

When can I print my own drone?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I can barely afford the ink cartridges in my normal printer...can't imagine what the refills cost for one of those machines.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnScotsman View Post

You are correct. I stand corrected.

Forget firearms I wanna print drones.

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Also their are already very reliable polymer AR lowers available right now.
    Yup, my .223 AR15 has a polymer upper and lower. It's totally reliable and accurate, weighs just 4.5 pounds empty, and I can bumpfire a 30 rounder through it with no problem (not that bumpfiring is accurate but the weapons cycles flawlessly).

This is no big deal, especially when one considers the number of CAD milling machines "out there" that, by bolting in a block of material and loading the right data, can produce the necessary parts for a semi or full-auto firearm with ease.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by rscottie View Post
    I can barely afford the ink cartridges in my normal printer...can't imagine what the refills cost for one of those machines.
    Current price is $260US per 56.3 cubic inch cartridge, either ABS or the support material, which is discarded after the build, either broken away (breakaway support) or dissolved in sodium hydroxide (soluble support, go figure). I work on these printers as a service tech. The larger Fortus printers from Stratasys can print in much stronger materials as well, things like polycarbonate and Ultem. I can see a full power lower being designed around those materials, the only weak point would be the buffer tube threads. With the Fortus machines you can design for an insert which gets built into the plastic so you could put a metal threaded insert where necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    Yup, my .223 AR15 has a polymer upper and lower. It's totally reliable and accurate, weighs just 4.5 pounds empty, and I can bumpfire a 30 rounder through it with no problem (not that bumpfiring is accurate but the weapons cycles flawlessly).

This is no big deal, especially when one considers the number of CAD milling machines "out there" that, by bolting in a block of material and loading the right data, can produce the necessary parts for a semi or full-auto firearm with ease.
    Wow never heard of an ar upper in polymer. Who makes it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast