• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Regal Cinemas now searching patrons

Nevada carrier

My girlfriend and I attempted to see a film at a Regal Cinemas in Las Vegas, NV. When my girlfriend refused to permit the ticket taker to search her hand bag, we were denied admission and our admission and concession purchase was refunded. This is now their corporate policy, and while ultimately Regal has the right to conduct their business this way, we live in an unprecedented time of social media and we have the power to give people like this a huge PR black eye. Please visit Regal Entertainment's Facebook page and leave a personal message about how you feel about this decision.

http://www.facebook.com/RegalEntertainmentGroup

Jack House

Erm, edit:

Backpacks/Packages/Bags:
To ensure the safety of our guests and employees, Regal Entertainment Group reserves the right to inspect the contents of any backpack, package, or bag prior to admission.

This is from their website. Reserve seems to indicate not all locations do this and that they do not always do this. So we need more information on whether all locations or just some do this. It's a corporate policy, but seems to be left to the discretion of local management.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It seems that not too many folks are aware of how old that policy is or why it was implimented.

Not so many generations ago folks got just a tad bit miffed at the high cost of popcorn/candy at the concession stand and started bringing their own from home or (heaven forbid!) in those really noisy bags from the local stop-and-rob. Theaters noticed that the profits from concession sales were dipping but there was tyhe same, if not more, litter on the floors. When plastic bottles became available even the soda sales dipped. Theaters were, to coin a phrase, upset about that turn of events. Thus, the "search your bags" policy.

The recent incident may have made everyone more aware of the possibility that moviegoers might be bringing handguns with them, and shifted the focus from interdiciting contraband pogeybait to making the theaters safer for mass shooters and any armed robbers who might be so brave as to run the risk of encountering a mass shooting event taking place in the middle of their own activities.

What amazes me is that unarmed, untrained under-age children are being asked by corporate bosses to undertake the job of rifling through the possessions of folks in the hope of finding a hidden firearm. Well, actually what amazes me is that nobody seems to be making any sort of fuss about this. I wonder what the Bradys would have to say if they knew that children were being exposed to the handling of deadly handguns that do not have trigger locks applied. Do you think we should tell them about this?:uhoh:

stay safe.

Jack House

I never said that the policy was okay as long as it wasn't happening at my favorite location. It's like Skidmark said, the policy is old. If it happens to be that only a handful of theaters are enforcing it, then perhaps it might be more effective to simply complain to those locations.

twoskinsonemanns

Have a look at their Facebook page, I linked it earlier. It's not happening in one or two locations, it's happening everywhere.

I agree it is BS. I personally will not be searched, I would rather not give them my business.

I will leave a comment on their facebook page and join you in any other form of protesting (emails phone calls mail etc) I can.

I think we should be more supportive of our community when these types of policies are encountered. People want support when they need it but don't seem too concerned when it is someone else.

Nevada carrier

Carrying a firearm with a disability? Okay, he didn't have a CCW, I got that, but now disabled people are denied their Second Amendment rights? And, "sitting in the back row, center" Is not an indication that he intended to do anything other than see a movie without the back of his seat being kicked by a bunch of little rug rats. If he really intended to cause any harm, I doubt he would have surrendered his bag to be searched. This reeks of MSNBC biased garbage.

How short is "a short time" to serve in the military? and unless he was dishonorably discharged (only happens with a felony court martial) this is irrelevant. I served in the military for just over 3 years. This is a short time compared to many who serve. but I served Honorably.

many law abiding gun owners have "thousands of rounds" of ammunition, including myself. You pay less when you buy in bulk, and it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Gas mask? these are legal to own. Survival material? what, like the 72 hour emergency kit the the DoHS recommends that we have? Printed material to inform him and his family how to manage when essential services are interrupted?

Ballistic material? what does that even mean? I have ballistics cards to guide adjusting my rifle scope for distance, elevation and windage. I have Ballistic eye and ear protection, does that mean according to this article I'm somehow a dangerous person?

That article makes the writer look extremely ignorant and biased.

Last edited:

Steeler-gal

Are they searching bags or searching people?

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Glockster

Exactly.

My wife and daughter had bags searched this week. My wife was nervous about it as she had some air popped popcorn as she is diabetic and can't eat their stuff. The kid who searched her upon being told by her that she had it and why said he didn't care as he was only searching for something dangerous as he pawed through her purse. Good thing she didn't happen to have something dangerous in the. so I wonder what will happen after the first AD?

It seems that not too many folks are aware of how old that policy is or why it was implimented.

Not so many generations ago folks got just a tad bit miffed at the high cost of popcorn/candy at the concession stand and started bringing their own from home or (heaven forbid!) in those really noisy bags from the local stop-and-rob. Theaters noticed that the profits from concession sales were dipping but there was tyhe same, if not more, litter on the floors. When plastic bottles became available even the soda sales dipped. Theaters were, to coin a phrase, upset about that turn of events. Thus, the "search your bags" policy.

The recent incident may have made everyone more aware of the possibility that moviegoers might be bringing handguns with them, and shifted the focus from interdiciting contraband pogeybait to making the theaters safer for mass shooters and any armed robbers who might be so brave as to run the risk of encountering a mass shooting event taking place in the middle of their own activities.

What amazes me is that unarmed, untrained under-age children are being asked by corporate bosses to undertake the job of rifling through the possessions of folks in the hope of finding a hidden firearm. Well, actually what amazes me is that nobody seems to be making any sort of fuss about this. I wonder what the Bradys would have to say if they knew that children were being exposed to the handling of deadly handguns that do not have trigger locks applied. Do you think we should tell them about this?:uhoh:

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Look, they sell you a ticket without telling you the terms (search is possible) of the contract. They don't tell you before you enter into the contract.

I would say its a breach of contract .. they cannot impose additional conditions after you paid. They must tell you before you pay, which they don't.

The search is illegal and a violation of your civil rights. And kicking you out is also a violation of your civil rights.

They have to tell you before you buy the ticket that a search is conditional. But they don't or people would not buy a ticket.

I would ask for $1000 if they wanted to kick me out. They are the sellers and have a responsibility to insure that the terms of the contract as disclosed prior to the execution of the contract.

Its simple contract law. Make them tell people before they buy that a search will occur; most will turn away at that point. And a posting of a sign is not sufficient - they must tell each person entering into the contract the terms.

Last edited:

zack991

Never the less, they did it to us. which should be enough to warrent a response from the community. It's shouldn't be "okay as long as they are not doing it to you."

Give it a few months the min-wage high school employees that work there will get tired of asking after a while and it won’t likely be enforced for very long. I worked as an armed guard at Regal in Niles, Ohio, which was one of our contracts. We used to do pat downs of some people as well as check all purses. We were told to stop all drink/food and those with firearms. Yet the funny part was we would ask a person if they had a CCW (if we found a gun) and make them aware of the no gun policy. We simply informed them if they get caught, by law at worst they could be charged with trespassing, which is a misdemeanor in Ohio. If they said ok, they understood we would say have a nice time and we walked away. Simply we did nothing with those who had a CHL. As a armed guard we are by law are not peace officers even though we have to pass a partial OPOTA course and take a actual state exam, we have no legal authority to enforce Ohio law. When sales started to suffer, we where only allowed to check questionable people or those causing problems.

Last edited:

zack991

My biggest concern is what if a teen kid searching a bag comes across a grenade. Ok now what do they do? At least police are supposed to be trained on searching and things like don't pull the pin.

Well if you know someone who carry's a grenade their city must be riddled with crime, lol. Well most teens play COD so they are experts an everything related to combat.

Last edited: