• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recommend a CCW course?

xpingjockey

Can anyone recommend a decent CO CWP course? I recently went past my 10 year mark out of the service, and now have to take the class. (Boo procrastination.) I see that a few are roughly $70. I would prefer one where the instructors aren't opposed to OC and don't make the assumption that I have no clue.

Thanks in advance.

PikesPeakMtnMan

Paradise Sales offers a great class too...but they'd be a bit of a drive for you since they're in the Springs. His class is also $125-150 (Don't remember which) but I've been through his classes twice and believe it's money well spent. He goes well beyond what a NRA Basic Pistol course requires.

In fact, my girlfriend and I are starting to look into a couple of the other, more advanced, classes available there.

RCT

I just took one from an Utah instructor as they do them all over. check mylegalheat.com, very basic class and the instructor likes open carry as much as possible.

mtmanchris83

I took a class at Paradise Guns in Colorado Springs, they're just west of I25 on Colorado. It's a little more expensive but well worth it. Around 16 hours of classroom time including 2 hours with a lawyer that specializes in defending people involved in self defense and home defence cases. Plus a full day on the range.

xpingjockey

After reading the appropriate CRS (18-12-203. Criteria for obtaining a permit), I think I'm just going to go shoot an IDPA match. Seems to me that it'd be more fun. Plus, I've been meaning to get out and shoot a match. Cost looks about the same.

Bellum_Intus

After reading the appropriate CRS (18-12-203. Criteria for obtaining a permit), I think I'm just going to go shoot an IDPA match. Seems to me that it'd be more fun. Plus, I've been meaning to get out and shoot a match. Cost looks about the same.

If you do that, I'd recommend a few things.

Familiarize yourself with ALL firearms laws in Colorado (covered in CHP classes)
Go through some Shoot/No shoot scenarios
Be aware of what can and usually does happen if you end up using the firearm

I am *personally* opposed to using NRA basic pistol courses, hunter safety cards, etc as CHP pre req.. I truly feel there is SO much more people need to understand when carrying concealed. I've taught some people who IMO have no business carrying a stick much less a firearm, and the class would have gotten them a CHP.. :eek:

(the above not directed at you, just a statement)

--Rob

JamesB

If you do that, I'd recommend a few things.

Familiarize yourself with ALL firearms laws in Colorado (covered in CHP classes)
Go through some Shoot/No shoot scenarios
Be aware of what can and usually does happen if you end up using the firearm

I am *personally* opposed to using NRA basic pistol courses, hunter safety cards, etc as CHP pre req.. I truly feel there is SO much more people need to understand when carrying concealed. I've taught some people who IMO have no business carrying a stick much less a firearm, and the class would have gotten them a CHP.. :eek:

(the above not directed at you, just a statement)

--Rob

I'd like to agree here with most of this...

I'd recommend looking at all the information, specifically the statutes. Do the scenerios. Think about it lots.

Personally, I do not believe there should be a training requirement. I think that most who carry take more classes and train to a level of proficiency on thier own that it does not need to be required.

Not to mention that whole 'one more restiricton on my free exercise of rights thing...'

If I can't be trusted with a gun, I shouldn't be trusted to not have a caretaker.

Bellum_Intus

Personally, I do not believe there should be a training requirement. I think that most who carry take more classes and train to a level of proficiency on thier own that it does not need to be required.

Not to mention that whole 'one more restiricton on my free exercise of rights thing...'

If I can't be trusted with a gun, I shouldn't be trusted to not have a caretaker.

Oh I agree, I don't think it should be mandated, but it should be a personal decision to protect yourself from yourself when carrying..

As far as CHP, trust me, I've seen more than a few come through the NRA basic course.. and i'm not kidding .. shouldn't have a firearm.. some people are just a danger to themselves.. I'd hope they would be responsible enough to take advice and train more before applying for a CHP, but that's their choice..

It's funny, a lot of people consider themselves experts... until they hit the range..

I'm not an expert, which is why I shoot almost daily and take more classes than i can afford lol.. I feel It makes me a better instructor as well.

--Rob