• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Update 8-6-12: Senate Fails To Pass "Cybersecurity" Bill

rotorhead

Grass Roots North Carolina, P.O. Box 10665, Raleigh, NC 27605

919-664-8565, www.grnc.org, GRNC Alert Hotline: (919) 562-4137

GRNC Update 8-6-12

Senate Fails To Pass “Cybersecurity” Bill

Our Home Page | About Us | Join GRNC | Contact Us

In This Issue
Magazine Ban

Immediate Action
Quick Links
More On Us

Facebook

Twitter

Last minute effort to

insert Magazine Ban dies with bill…

On Thursday, August 2nd, the US Senate failed to gain the 60 votes needed to move forward with S. 3414, otherwise known as the “CyberSecurity Bill”. Particularly important to gun owners was that the bill contained a last ditch effort by anti-gun Senators that would have, in part, effectively banned all magazines with a capacity of more than ten rounds.

Interestingly, while Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) voted just as he indicated he would to kill the measure, North Carolina’s other Senator, Senator Kay Hagan (D-NC) voted for the Bill to move forward, even with the Magazine Ban amendment as part of it. While it’s been frustrating to say the least when trying to pry an actual position on gun rights from Senator Hagan, we need look no further than her voting record to get a clearer picture.

While the “Cybersecurity” Bill that contained the Amendment to limit magazine capacity is now effectively dead, this will not prevent further attempts by anti-gun politicians from inserting similar language into future bills until they get their way. GRNC will remain vigilant for future legislative attempts to limit your rights, but we also need your help.

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED!
Email US Senators representing NC Richard Burr (R - ****) and Kay Hagan (D – 0).
Support GRNC!: As we move closer to the national and local elections this Fall, GRNC needs your support to help combat the efforts against your rights as gun owners. Join or renew your membership! http://www.grnc.org/join-grnc/join-grnc-online
CONTACT INFO

Senator Richard Burr - http://www.burr.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm
Senator Kay Hagan - http://www.hagan.senate.gov/contact/

DELIVER THIS MESSAGE

To US Senator Richard Burr:

Dear Senator Burr,

As a North Carolina gun owner I am happy that you have cast your vote to defeat the “Cybersecurity” bill, which contained language to limit magazine capacity. Anti-gun politicians will stop at nothing and will use last-minute tactics to chip away at our rights as citizens. This latest attempt to resurrect limitations on magazine capacity was attached as an amendment in the final days before a vote was held on the bill.

I thank you for standing up for my rights as a gun owner while serving the great State of North Carolina as our US Senator, and for quickly identifying the attempt to attach anti-gun legislation to an already suspect Senate Bill.

I ask that you remain vigilant in the future for similar anti-gun language in bills that you will be asked to vote for while serving in the US Senate. I will also be monitoring future bills via GRNC legislative alerts.

Sincerely,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To US Senator Kay Hagan:

Dear Senator Hagan,

As a law-abiding American and gun owner I am outraged and insulted by your recent vote on the proposed Senate Bill S. 3414: A bill to enhance the security and resiliency of the cyber and communications infrastructure of the United States. As you well know, this bill contained an amendment which would have resurrected an outdated ban on magazines with a capacity of over ten rounds.

Despite your insistence to hundreds of thousands of gun owners in the State of North Carolina that you respect the Second Amendment to the US Constitution, your voting record sings a much different song. I find it hard to believe that voting for such a measure could, in any way, solve any problem related to gun violence. Instead, it would only limit those who would actually follow the law, which is a far cry from the description of the average violent criminal.

This is your second anti-gun action in recent weeks. Previously, you failed to join other senators on a bipartisan letter opposing the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty

In the future, I would hope and expect that you would consider the impact of such laws and how they affect law-abiding gun owners. Laws such as magazine capacity limits have absolutely no effect on criminals, and only limit those who follow laws.

I will be monitoring your voting record very closely, and will follow the progress of future legislation via GRNC legislative alerts.

Sincerely,

Copyright Info
----------------------

© 2012 GRNCFFE, Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction and distribution is permitted provided full attribution is given and the item is reprinted in its entirety. Address questions to: President@GRNC.org

----------------------

Find Your Representatives

NC STATE House & Senate: http://www.grnc.org/defend-your-rights/find-my-elected-representatives

FEDERAL Congressman: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

FEDERAL Senators: http://www.senate.gov/

Support GRNC

If you value this service, please consider making a contribution to the cause of protecting your freedom. It is fast and easy:

https://ssl4.westserver.net/grnc.org/join.html

Your friends at Grass Roots North Carolina
Contribute Online

GRNC Sponsors

Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Handgunners Inc., 4325 NC Hwy. 49 South, Burlington, NC 27215, (336)570-1015, www.handgunners.com
NCGunOwners.com: North Carolina's friendliest firearm community, working to promote gun ownership in NC. http://www.NCGunOwners.com
Hyatt Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-394-0387, www.hyattguns.com
C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; http://www.cegunshows.com/
Dixie Gun and Knife Shows, PO Box 21049, Raleigh, NC 27619, ph: 919-781-1287, www.dixiegunandknifeshow.com/
Down South Ammo, Home of "SOUTHERN THUNDER" Exploding Targets, http://downsouthammo.com/
Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, www.duncangun.com
Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, www.shootersexpress.com
The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
Gunner's Alley, LLC, 203 N. Harrison Ave., Ste. 130, Cary, NC 27513, www.gunnersalley.com, 919-388-1991, contact: Ed Guerriero, ed@gunnersalley.com
Lake Norman Firearms, Inc., 20823 N. Main Street, Cornelius, NC 28031, www.lknfirearms.com, 704-892-7839
Vanguard Security Consulting, LLC, 19135 W. Catawba Ave, Cornelius, NC 28031
DoubleD Media, 8300 Raintree Lane, Charlotte, NC 28277, ph: 704-650-5555, fx: 704-544-0326 donna@doubledme.com
Sterling Pistols, custom pistols, FFL transfers, general repairs, Glock enhancements, 704-840-7625

ncwabbit

what in the world was the purpose of posting this GRNC epistle? especially w/o any type of GRNC input, the outcome benefitted the gun toting citizens appropriately.

wabbit

ps...does this mean the GRNC will still claim credit for this situation as well?

pps: no i guess the rationale was purely politically motivated...

Last edited:

rotorhead

what in the world was the purpose of posting this GRNC epistle? especially w/o any type of GRNC input, the outcome benefitted the gun toting citizens appropriately.

wabbit

ps...does this mean the GRNC will still claim credit for this situation as well?

pps: no i guess the rationale was purely politically motivated...

Perhaps this one is purely informational...idk. Maybe it will help people understand that while Sen Hagan touts her love and support for the Second Amendment, her voting record tells a different tale. Maybe it even keeps folks alerted concerning future amendments that will be added to other bills and to remain on the look out for them. Heck, and I know this is a stretch, but perhaps it lets people know that at least one organization in NC is trying to keep up with things out there and do something about it.

Still waiting for Mr Wabbit's group to make a splash on the scene, though. Then we'll know how to really take on the anti-gun issues the only proper way. How many members are you up to now, btw?

Last edited:

ncwabbit

alas i am taking my lead from GRNC... my goals and strategy are opaque as well as who controls my membership, their specific numbers as well as how membership monies are being spent are shrouded in secrecy. However, unlike GRNC I am saving membership monies by not putting out politically based proclamations arbitrarily that i did not contribute a bloody thing to.

wabbit

Last edited:

Chief1297

I dont care if they were involved or not but do appreciate them publishing how our elected representatives are voting. All publishers should be shouting from the roof tops about the lies and omissions our representatives get away with. Dont tell me you are for my gun rights and then vote the other way. I would prefer you to tell me to go pound sand. Just my thoughts. Thanks for the info GRNC.

rotorhead

alas i am taking my lead from GRNC... my goals and strategy are opaque as well as who controls my membership, their specific numbers as well as how membership monies are being spent are shrouded in secrecy. However, unlike GRNC I am saving membership monies by not putting out politically based proclamations arbitrarily that i did not contribute a bloody thing to.

wabbit

So, you're basically a bit moody because GRNC will not post specific information on an open forum that anti-gun groups would love to get a hold of? Some of this seems a tad suspicious, Mr Wabbit. I'm starting to think you're trying a little too hard to get some of this information, but I'm sure they've had to deal with this kind of thing before...

REDFIVE48

Reply from Sen Hagan

Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concern regarding Senator Chuck Schumer's proposed amendment to the Cybersecurity Act of 2012 (S. 3414). I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue.

The Schumer amendment would prohibit the transfer or possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices. These devices are defined as a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition. This amendment would not include limits on .22 caliber rim fire ammunition. The Senate concluded debate on the Cybersecurity Act on August 2, 2012, without considering this amendment. However, please rest assured I will keep your opposition to this proposal in mind should it be considered on another bill.

My family, like the great state of North Carolina, has a long tradition of hunting and gun ownership, and I take great pride in that heritage. As your United States Senator, I will continue working to protect these fundamental, constitutional rights while opposing onerous restrictions on gun ownership. For example, in 2009, I supported an amendment by Senator Thune to allow citizens in states that do not require permits for concealed carry would be allowed to carry their firearms, without a permit, in states that otherwise do require permits. Though this legislation was not agreed to, you can be certain I will continue fighting to protect the Second Amendment rights of our citizens.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. It is truly an honor to represent North Carolina in the United States Senate, and I hope you will not hesitate to contact me in the future should you have any further questions or concerns. If you would like to stay informed on my work in the Senate, you can sign up for my e-newsletter, follow me on Twitter at @SenatorHagan, or visit my Facebook page.

Sincerely,

Kay R. Hagan