• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Pistol must be 26"-30" long..but what is the legal way to measure OAL in MI?

Evil Creamsicle

This thread isn't really relevant anymore though, since Michigan law regarding pistols was changed from 'less than 30 inches' to '26 inches or less'.

MCL 28.421(e) said:
(e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 26 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

And since Federal law says its an SBR if less than 26 inches, you're looking at an illegal SBR if your micrometer is calibrated differently than the governments, since it would need to be exactly 26 inches to qualify as a pistol in Michigan but not an SBR by Federal law.

Last edited:

TheQ

This whole thread is obsolete as MI Pistols no longer exist (except for ones that were grandfathered in before 1/1/13).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This whole thread is obsolete as MI Pistols no longer exist (except for ones that were grandfathered in before 1/1/13).
Would it be best then under that circumstance to close/lock the thread.....or would it be better to have a cite? Don't think I missed it.

Michigander

And since Federal law says its an SBR if less than 26 inches, you're looking at an illegal SBR if your micrometer is calibrated differently than the governments, since it would need to be exactly 26 inches to qualify as a pistol in Michigan but not an SBR by Federal law.

In addition to what I said above, there is another alternative. What we used to have with 26-30 inch guns, I called Michigan Dumb Ass Pistols, MiDAPs for short. Now, with the CB Draco and arm braces, we have what a certain someone who can name himself if he wishes has named Federal Asinine Pisols, FAPs for short. Grandfathered and papered MiDAPs and registered FAPs may be carried as handguns in Michigan.

Just make sure with a FAP that it is under 26" OAL, otherwise Michigan law does not consider it a handgun.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc385/M1aEbr/Draco/999176185_180.jpg
http://www.firearms4less.com/146-797-thickbox/black-rain-fallout15-ar15-pistol-norguard.jpg

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

beteryga.jpg

This is a option. Made in the great state of AZ. Just under $450 shipped.
http://www.slickguns.com/product/extar-exp-556-–-semi-automatic-gas-operated-pistol-43995

FreeInAZ

Yes, as long as it is 26"+ when folded.

Has to be +, 26 even is a pistol. ;-D

Yep - great point EC. I personally know of a few officers who try every possible angle of measurement to try and create a violation of MCL. :rolleyes: Always best to take a conservative approach when it comes to the whole < = than 26 inches = Pistol vs > 26.00000000000000000000000000000000001 = long gun. MI - great people, freedom sucking legislators. :(

Enjoy the snow bro's it was 87° F here today. :p

Evil Creamsicle

Yep - great point EC. I personally know of a few officers who try every possible angle of measurement to try and create a violation of MCL. :rolleyes: Always best to take a conservative approach when it comes to the whole < = than 26 inches = Pistol vs > 26.00000000000000000000000000000000001 = long gun. MI - great people, freedom sucking legislators. :(

Enjoy the snow bro's it was 87° F here today. :p

lol... I hate you sometimes. Its 32 and it feels warm.

FreeInAZ

Sorry EC. The whole polar vortex thing has to be killing you guys. I had family visiting last week. These are shots taken in the morning before their flight & when they got home. Poor b@$tards!

y9uruha6.jpg

etajupuz.jpg

Michigander

Yep. I hate this state. I mean sure, I have fun beating on my cars in the snow, but nothing like the insane things I did with cars, and freedom I had with guns while I lived in AZ. Aside from the congested valley traffic and lunatics from LA and the east coast, you my friend now have it made.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

You & EC are welcome at my house anytime! This area needs more freedom loving Americans to stem the influx of Kommiefornian's watering down the local governments :p

ETA - at least you guys have nice Canadian neighbors. The foreigners to my west (CA) are like dealing with Millions of people from....wait for it....the Birmingham & Royal Oak city commissions. :eek:

Last edited: