• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Homeland Security Video, Run, Hide, Fight.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
While the video does not address the issue of an armed citizen in this situation, I would hope friends or family if not armed follow this advice.
While many I have talked to subscribed to the concept of defending family and friends first and foremost which could range from run, hide or fight depending upon the circumstances.
Would an armed citizen, open or carrying a firearm have stopped this scenario sooner, I hope and pray so.

I have seen other groups criticize this video for not addressing the armed citizen but I feel it addressed the vast majority of citizens in the U.S. on a daily basis, though we need more armed citizens.

[video=youtube_share;9oUWnwQBcOI]http://youtu.be/9oUWnwQBcOI[/video]

GreatWhiteLlama

While the video does not address the issue of an armed citizen in this situation, I would hope friends or family if not armed follow this advice.
While many I have talked to subscribed to the concept of defending family and friends first and foremost which could range from run, hide or fight depending upon the circumstances.
Would an armed citizen, open or carrying a firearm have stopped this scenario sooner, I hope and pray so.

I have seen other groups criticize this video for not addressing the armed citizen but I feel it addressed the vast majority of citizens in the U.S. on a daily basis, though we need more armed citizens.

[video=youtube_share;9oUWnwQBcOI]http://youtu.be/9oUWnwQBcOI[/video]

Hey! He can't do that! There was a 'No Firearms' sign clearly marked on the door!

:p

Vitaeus

They skip the use of zip ties on anyone they find on the way to the shooter, too realistic and troubling for anyone watching the video I expect.

decklin

During my first quarter of college the Director of Campus Safety showed us a very similar video.
Afterwards we had a little Q&A.
I asked him about the policy for firearms. I said I knew in the handbook you had to make a written request to the President of the College to be able to cc on school property. I was really just addressing the issue for the benefit of the other students. I didn't care about the policy as it held no lawful standing. I cc'd to school everyday just in case there was an active shooter.
He told me that nobody should bother as all the requests would get transfered to him and he always rejects them.
Apparrently he doesn't feel anybody has the right to defend themselves in "his" building.
I asked him why and he told me because the state doesn't require training to get a CPL so nobody knows how to handle a gun.
I said that is just not true. He asked who in the room had a CPL.
Myself and two others, one male one female, raised our hands. He looks at me with a smug look and says, "And what kind of training do you have that makes you think you're so qualified?"
I replied, "5 years in the Infantry, two tours in Iraq. Baghdad, Baqubah, Fallujah, Hammer Mountains, and a few other places. Do I qualify?"
He does not look pleased. He looks at the female probably thinking she'd be an easy target. "What about you?"
She says, "Oh, me? Just a years worth of defensive pistol classes up in Bellevue."
Everyone in the class started laughing at this dweeb up front. He looks at the other guy hoping for redemption, "And you?"
He says, "Marine Corps. Two tours. Machine Gunner. How's that?"
Director at this point just throws his hands up, "Well apparently we have every exception in the school right here in this classroom!"

I think at that point everybody just stopped listening to him. After he left the teacher told everyone how to get a CPL. (That was my favorite part.)
The teacher was a former cop who thinks it would just be better if everyone was armed. Of course, not in school he added. I'm guessing it was his little "insurance disclaimer".

Well I'm gonna stop typing now. I'm sure people are bored with my story.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Hey Mister ! You forgot to get your gentiles groped ! said the TSA agent in the background ...

That guy with the ear-buds on? I would not have helped him ... I hate idiots walking around with those ...

Nobody tried the old standard "your shoe laces are untied" and then bop! Knockout!

And you hear shooting, see dead people, right? You should smash in the face of anyone you think is a threat ... guys wearing fatigues ? Smasho ! "Police!" means nothing .. the killer could be yelling that to get people out of cover! So smash everybody's face in .. sort it out later.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Some good advice, but let's just get rid of Fatherland, Motherland, Homeland what ever ya wanna call it. And arm ourselves like originally intended.

During my first quarter of college the Director of Campus Safety showed us a very similar video.
I asked him about the policy for firearms. I said I knew in the handbook you had to make a written request to the President of the College to be able to cc on school property. I was really just addressing the issue for the benefit of the other students. I didn't care about the policy as it held no lawful standing. I cc'd to school everyday just in case there was an active shooter.
He told me that nobody should bother as all the requests would get transfered to him and he always rejects them.
Apparrently he doesn't feel anybody has the right to defend themselves in "his" building.
I asked him why and he told me because the state doesn't require training to get a CPL so nobody knows how to handle a gun.
Myself and two others, one male one female, raised our hands. He looks at me with a smug look and says, "And what kind of training do you have that makes you think you're so qualified?"
I replied, "5 years in the Infantry, two tours in Iraq. Baghdad, Baqubah, Fallujah, Hammer Mountains, and a few other places. Do I qualify?"
He does not look pleased. He looks at the female probably thinking she'd be an easy target. "What about you?"
She says, "Oh, me? Just a years worth of defensive pistol classes up in Bellevue."
Everyone in the class started laughing at this dweeb up front. He looks at the other guy hoping for redemption, "And you?"
Director at this point just throws his hands up, "Well apparently we have every exception in the school right here in this classroom!"

I think at that point everybody just stopped listening to him. After he left the teacher told everyone how to get a CPL. (That was my favorite part.)
The teacher was a former cop who thinks it would just be better if everyone was armed. Of course, not in school he added. I'm guessing it was his little "insurance disclaimer".

Not a boring story at all. I enjoyed it and got a good chuckle. If I was there and asked I would have taken the Melanie Hain approach and told the teacher that civilians using self defense have a drastically lower collateral damage than "trained" police officers.

Metalhead47

And you hear shooting, see dead people, right? You should smash in the face of anyone you think is a threat ... guys wearing fatigues ? Smasho ! "Police!" means nothing .. the killer could be yelling that to get people out of cover! So smash everybody's face in .. sort it out later.

...which will work real great until the real​ police see you doing so and drop YOU on sight thinking YOU'RE the aggressor.

tactical_facepalm.jpg

modernknight

I thought this was a fantastic story. % boredom: 0. :)

I should attend more school wide meetings, especially when the campus security is addressing stuff. It'd be nice to, at the very least, be able to CC on campus. Active shooters are becoming more and more common, and I certainly wouldn't want to be in this situation at my school, and if so, and if I had to, have a means to stop it. It's a terrible waste to have more Virginia Tech's happen, a bunch of kids just trying to sit in class and learn, when someone comes in pissed off. Just a week or two ago we had someone on the school campus tennis courts with aggravated assault or some bogus like that. Even a Community College isn't safe, lol.