• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police: Ohio Man Had Gun, Knives At Batman Showing

twoskinsonemanns

davidmcbeth

Banned
Kachme

Mr. Teabag. 12 people were gunned down by a nutjob. It is very newsworthy to post a story on another nutjob taking guns and knives into a movie theatre. No sane person does that. The glue on your NRA bumper sticker has made you just as crazy.

... comment on the page .. its funny

Also, they have been changing the story on this web page a few times I noticed...

Polynikes

Apparently, the updates to the article seem to imply that the police don't believe he was an actual threat.

*edit* Proof again that a Gun Free zone doesn't stop guns from entering...

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

Smith was charged Monday with four counts of carrying various weapons for each of the knives, one count of carrying a concealed weapon with no permit for the Glock and one count of carrying a weapon while having a disability.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...into-Crocker-Park-movie-theater#ixzz22u6IxwZd

Wait, wait, wait just one second. Ohio prohibits people with disabilities from carrying a firearm? If this is so, can someone post the statute? Sounds highly prejudicial and discriminatory to me.

JmE

Wait, wait, wait just one second. Ohio prohibits people with disabilities from carrying a firearm? If this is so, can someone post the statute? Sounds highly prejudicial and discriminatory to me.

Possession of a firearm under disability in Ohio means that the person is legally prohibited from possessing a firearm. I.e. a felony conviction, certain domestic violence offenses, etc. An actual physical or mental disability doesn't automatically prohibit one from owning a firearm in Ohio... yet.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
How did they discover he was carrying if he was carrying concealed?

He had the gun in a bag. The theater was posted that bags are subject to search. Per the movie theater policy they exercised their right to search his bag and thus the gun was discovered.

Nevada carrier

Possession of a firearm under disability in Ohio means that the person is legally prohibited from possessing a firearm. I.e. a felony conviction, certain domestic violence offenses, etc. An actual physical or mental disability doesn't automatically prohibit one from owning a firearm in Ohio... yet.

according to the reports, this man had no criminal record, what would bar you from possessing firearms that would not be reflected on your criminal record? The only thing I can think of is the status of his citizenship, which shouldn't be in question as he is a veteran.

Last edited:

JmE

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/25...d-in-movie-theater-with-loaded-gun-and-knives
Investigators said Tuesday Smith does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, and are also looking into whether he was on medication that would preclude him from owning guns.

Hmm... I don't know of any prescribed medications that would preclude him from owning guns. AFAIK, he would have to have been adjudicated incompetent or have been involuntarily committed at some point prior. Does anyone else know of any specific prescribed medications in the ORC that would make such a statement in the article accurate?

JmE

what would bar you from possessing firearms that would not be reflected on your criminal record?
Having been previously adjudicated by a court as incompetent and/or involuntary commitment for something other than like a 72 hour observation could do it. If he was addicted to a substance or under the influence of alcohol or medication for which he wasn't prescribed would do it. These are the only things that I can come up with at the moment.

The only thing I can think of is the status of his citizenship, which shouldn't be in question as he is a veteran.
AFAIK, he could be a veteran and not yet be a citizen. Is citizenship a requirement for firearm ownership in the USA? I don't believe there is an Ohio state prohibition for resident aliens, however, IANAL.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Yeah, but I like the thought process Nevada carrier was showing.

He had the gun in a bag. The theater was posted that bags are subject to search. Per the movie theater policy they exercised their right to search his bag and thus the gun was discovered.

I said it before somewhere else - someone needs to report the theater for making minor children handle firearms without parental permission and without adult supervision. Those kids looking inside your bags have at least constructive possession when doing the looking inside, and I'll bet most of them are not old enough under state or federal law to posses a firearm.

And even if they were old enough to posses one, do you think The Bradys would approve of sending children -- CHILLLLLDRENNNNNN, I say! -- to search for those implements of mass murder? And why are we, the "gun community", not voicing our opposition to sending unarmed children -- CHILLLLLDRENNNNNN, I say! -- to search for those implements of mass murder? Don't they have as much right as an adult to defend themself against a mass murdering nut-job?

stay safe.

Nevada carrier

Having been previously adjudicated by a court as incompetent and/or involuntary commitment for something other than like a 72 hour observation could do it. If he was addicted to a substance or under the influence of alcohol or medication for which he wasn't prescribed would do it. These are the only things that I can come up with at the moment.

If it were involuntary, it would show up as a blemish in is criminal record. perhaps not as an indictment or conviction, but it would show up. But the report said there was Nothing in his criminal file. As long as you are using your Rx meds as directed, there's only one Rx med that bars you from possession of firearms... Medical marijuana. Can you get Rx medical marijuana in Ohio?

Last edited:

JmE

If it were involuntary, it would show up as a blemish in is criminal record. perhaps not as an indictment or conviction, but it would show up. But the report said there was Nothing in his criminal file. As long as you are using your Rx meds as directed, there's only one Rx med that bars you from possession of firearms... Medical marijuana. Can you get Rx medical marijuana in Ohio?

(Disclaimer: I'm no expert in LEADS, etc.)

I think it wouldn't show up in a criminal record. It might show up in a background check. Even then, it would only show if it was reported properly. One in the far past, before the proliferation of the internet and easy records transfer, might not show up as it may have never been reported or transferred out of the county or facility.

As to the medication thing... yes, as long as the meds were as prescribed; I didn't mean those. I meant only those that weren't prescribed or were illicit. I thought of medical weed when I wrote the other reply but considered it an outlier. But, I wonder why or if methadone is different legally than medical marihuana a whole host of other drugs that are prescribed daily in the Buckeye State.

Ohio, IIRC, once accidentally legalized it in the 1990's (I read about this a while back but can't find a source right now). It was a fluke and quickly repealed. As of right now, I know of no laws legalizing medical marijuana in Ohio.

ETA: Ohio's Short Lived Medical Marijuana Law -- http://ohiopatientsnetwork.org/inde...test-medical-marijuana-law&catid=42:marijuana

Last edited:

JmE

Yeah, but I like the thought process Nevada carrier was showing.

I missed it... :D

I said it before somewhere else - someone needs to report the theater for making minor children handle firearms without parental permission and without adult supervision. Those kids looking inside your bags have at least constructive possession when doing the looking inside, and I'll bet most of them are not old enough under state or federal law to posses a firearm.

Owwww, good point! I like it.

And even if they were old enough to posses one, do you think The Bradys would approve of sending children -- CHILLLLLDRENNNNNN, I say! -- to search for those implements of mass murder? And why are we, the "gun community", not voicing our opposition to sending unarmed children -- CHILLLLLDRENNNNNN, I say! -- to search for those implements of mass murder? Don't they have as much right as an adult to defend themself against a mass murdering nut-job?

stay safe.

ROTFL!

MR Redenck

Under what authority does a Security officer and a Theater Manager have to search his bag or any of his possessions?
They may ask me to leave, but their not searching me or my property without warranted cause.

NC-Heel

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...ag-of-weapons-into-Crocker-Park-movie-theater

From what they said on the noon local news, he was the first one in and got the 'tactical' seat. By all I have seen so far he was a copy cat of Aurora. More to come as details come out.
Guess you hadn't seen enough of the story before you drank the liberal kool-aid and labeled this guy a domestic terrorist. A maxpedition Fatboy bag designed for concealed carry, 2 extra mags, 3 knives in the bag and sitting in the back row made this guy suspicious. Sounds like my EDC. My Oakley canvas messenger bag that I carry my laptop in has 2 "tactical" folders, a Leatherman, 2 "tactical" LED flashlights, 2 Glock mags, and a ball of paracord in it. Glock is on my hip.

NC-Heel

Under what authority does a Security officer and a Theater Manager have to search his bag or any of his possessions?
They may ask me to leave, but their not searching me or my property without warranted cause.
Exactly!!! They can post a sign saying they reserve the right to search bags and I reserve the right to decline to such illegal search and leave the premise with a refund when asked to.