• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond Public Library bans concealed weapons by state law?

Riana

Wow, the rules for the Richmond Library are certainly prohibitive. Only two bookbags allowed, and only of a certain size? Heck, I have purses that are bigger than the size limit they specify.

To address your question, I didn't think there was any State Law prohibiting the possession of concealed weapons. It could be noted, however, that no mentioned is made of openly-carried ones. Hmm.

Also, is this listing current? I note that it says it was reviewed by the City Attorney, and is dated 2006. Could be that they have not updated their website form.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Wow, the rules for the Richmond Library are certainly prohibitive. Only two bookbags allowed, and only of a certain size? Heck, I have purses that are bigger than the size limit they specify.

To address you question, I didn't think there was any State Law prohibiting the possession of concealed weapons. It could be noted, however, that no mentioned is made of openly-carried ones. Hmm.

Also, is this listing current? I note that it says it was reviewed by the City Attorney, and is dated 2006. Could be that they have not updated their website form.

When I click on the link, it says this file can not be found.

Bowesmobile

"Well just a second there, professor. We uh, we fixed the *glitch*. So he won't be receiving a paycheck anymore, so it will just work itself out naturally."

Seems like we need to fix the glitch, lol!

Riana

Thanks!
Now, to see what I can do about that. Richmond is of the firm opinion they ARE the law, not subject to it.

Do keep us informed. It's always a pleasure watching you work. :)

If I were closer, I'd help. If there's anything I can do from way up in NoVA-land, let me know.

johnfenter

While you're at it...

Thanks!
Now, to see what I can do about that. Richmond is of the firm opinion they ARE the law, not subject to it.

Hammer them on that bag search policy, please; the library ain't the airport OR private property. Besides, don't they have all the books tagged so they set off an alarm if they are removed without being checked out?

Steeler-gal

When I click on the link, it says this file can not be found.

The link works fine for me.
Seems like most of these rules are to keep homeless people from using the library as their daytime hang out.
As someone pointed out it doesn't say no weapons just no concealed weapons "of any type." I guess that means I need to openly carry my mace, knife, taser and gun when I go to those libraries. :)

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Obviously, an illegal restriction.

But, since, I would OC down there, not a problem for me!

Anybody up for a little library time this weekend?

I can plow Sunday and drive up on Saturday but....It says weapons. Does a 9mm qualify:lol:

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"...or other use of tobacco...." ??

Not that I chew or dip, but I thought the law only covered actual burning of the leaf. I'm thinking that i the process of stepping on their crank they have gotten an appendage caught in the wringer.
§ 15.2-2824. Prohibitions on smoking generally; penalty for violation.
A. Smoking shall be prohibited in (i) elevators, regardless of capacity, except in any open material hoist elevator not intended for use by the general public; (ii) public school buses; (iii) the interior of any public elementary, intermediate, and secondary school; (iv) hospital emergency rooms; (v) local or district health departments; (vi) polling rooms; (vii) indoor service lines and cashier lines; (viii) public restrooms in any building owned or leased by the Commonwealth or any agency thereof; (ix) the interior of a child day center licensed pursuant to § 63.2-1701 that is not also used for residential purposes; however, this prohibition shall not apply to any area of a building not utilized by a child day center, unless otherwise prohibited by this chapter; and (x) public restrooms of health care facilities.
B. No person shall smoke in any area or place specified in subsection A and any person who continues to smoke in such area or place after having been asked to refrain from smoking shall be subject to a civil penalty of not more than $25.
C. Civil penalties assessed under this section shall be paid into the Virginia Health Care Fund established under § 32.1-366.
######
§ 15.2-2826. Designation of "No-Smoking" areas; smoking prohibited in "No-Smoking" areas; penalty for violation.
A. The proprietor or other person in charge of (i) an educational facility, except any public elementary, intermediate, or secondary school; (ii) a health care facility; (iii) a retail establishment of 15,000 square feet or more serving the general public, including, but not limited to, department stores, grocery stores, drug stores, clothing stores, and shoe stores; and (iv) recreational facilities shall designate reasonable no-smoking areas, considering the nature of the use and the size of the building.
B. The proprietor or other person in charge of a space subject to the provisions of this section shall post signs conspicuous to public view stating "Smoking Permitted" or "No Smoking." Any person failing to post such signs shall be subject to a civil penalty of not more than $25.
C. No person shall smoke in a designated no-smoking area and any person who continues to smoke in such area after having been asked to refrain from smoking shall be subject to a civil penalty of not more than $25.
D. Civil penalties assessed under this section shall be paid into the Virginia Health Care Fund established under § 32.1-366.
######
§ 15.2-2828. Ordinances regulating smoking generally.
A. No ordinances enacted by a locality prior to January 1, 1990, shall be deemed invalid or unenforceable because of lack of consistency with the provisions of this chapter.
B. Except as provided in § 15.2-2829, no ordinances adopted after January 1, 1990, shall contain provisions or standards that exceed those established in this chapter.
C. However, any ordinance may provide that employers may regulate smoking in the private work place as they deem appropriate under the following circumstances: (i) if the designation of smoking and no-smoking areas is the subject of a written agreement between the employer and his employees, the provisions of the written agreement shall control such designation and (ii) a total ban on smoking in any work place shall only be enforced by the employer upon an affirmative vote of a majority of the affected employees voting, unless such ban is the subject of a contract of employment between the employer and the employees as a prior condition of employment. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this subsection shall affect no-smoking policies established by employers prior to the adoption of such ordinance.
######
§ 15.2-2830. Optional provisions of ordinances.
If an ordinance is enacted by a locality in accordance with this chapter, it may provide that management shall designate reasonable no-smoking areas, considering the nature of the use and the size of the building, in the following places:
1. Retail and service establishments of 15,000 square feet or more serving the general public, including, but not limited to, department stores, grocery stores, drug stores, clothing stores, and shoe stores;
2. Educational facilities, except as provided in § 15.2-2824;
3. Health care facilities;
4. Rooms in which a public meeting or hearing is being held;
5. Places of entertainment and cultural facilities, including but not limited to theaters, concert halls, gymnasiums, auditoriums, other enclosed arenas, art galleries, libraries, and museums;
6. Indoor facilities used for recreational purposes; or
7. Other public places.
######
§ 15.2-2832. Regulation of smoking; posting of signs.
Any person who owns, manages, or otherwise controls any building or area in which smoking is regulated by an ordinance shall post in an appropriate place, in a clear, conspicuous, and sufficient manner, "Smoking Permitted" signs, "No Smoking" signs, or "No-Smoking Section Available" signs.
######

And to bring this back to RKBA, does anyone remeber exactly how long ago the issue was addressed with the State Library? That was another fine example of wringing while stepping, or was it stepping while wringing?

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sorry, I forgot to highlight this from § 15.2-2828:
B. Except as provided in § 15.2-2829, no ordinances adopted after January 1, 1990, shall contain provisions or standards that exceed those established in this chapter.

The library's policy is dated February 2006.

Would the plain reading of § 15.2-2828 be that the policy is invalid?

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sorry, I forgot to highlight this from § 15.2-2828:

The library's policy is dated February 2006.

Would the plain reading of § 15.2-2828 be that the policy is invalid?

stay safe.

Of course it's invalid!
The City of Richmond wrote it.

You remember our friends:uhoh:

cclaugh.jpg