• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond Public Library bans concealed weapons by state law?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My schedule is a mess, but I was thinking maybe after an OC breakfast?

Well, of course after the Greater Richmond Weekly Open Carry Breakfast.

Peter, are you aware of any laws that would restrict videotaping inside the public library? (I'm sure the Library will have a policy against it.)

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Have book bag (exceeds 18") and 1911 (convertible to CC) available for such a read and time available to express my rights under the 1st, 2nd & 4th Amendments.

The real problem is where and what to eat. My library of preference would be the main library, but any branch will do.

VCDL President

Centurion

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, of course after the Greater Richmond Weekly Open Carry Breakfast.

Peter, are you aware of any laws that would restrict videotaping inside the public library? (I'm sure the Library will have a policy against it.)

stay safe.

Nope, no laws against it.

Philip, let me know before Saturday please!
Speaking of waiting, any update from the Chesterfield County Attorney?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I can't believe my eyes! I'll call them on Wednesday. We'll have a "read-in" if necessary.

While I understand the VCDL policy of giving government the chance to fix things before calling out the troops, I suggest that a "read-in" would be appropriate regardless of the outcome of your contacting the RPL. If they are obstinate then attention ought to be called to their illegal position. If they agree that the policy is invalid then we ought to celebrate the change. From Wednesday to Friday ought to be sufficient time for them to decide what they want to do.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
While I understand the VCDL policy of giving government the chance to fix things before calling out the troops, I suggest that a "read-in" would be appropriate regardless of the outcome of your contacting the RPL. If they are obstinate then attention ought to be called to their illegal position. If they agree that the policy is invalid then we ought to celebrate the change. From Wednesday to Friday ought to be sufficient time for them to decide what they want to do.

stay safe.

I fondly remember several people dogging the Richmond Convention Center while the City Attorney was mulling over how to respond.
The 7 Day Adventist security people asking....why do you want our pictures, why are you here, what are you handing out:lol:

Yeah, I think 3 days is sufficient for them to obey the law. If I don't put money in a City Parking Meter, doubt they'll give me three days to do it.:rolleyes:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I fondly remember several people dogging the Richmond Convention Center while the City Attorney was mulling over how to respond.
The 7 Day Adventist security people asking....why do you want our pictures, why are you here, what are you handing out:lol:

Yeah, I think 3 days is sufficient for them to obey the law. If I don't put money in a City Parking Meter, doubt they'll give me three days to do it.:rolleyes:

Unless I am mistaken the city attorney never did respond....officially.

Frick does not put money in parking meters and Frack has never received a reply from the Mayor's assistant - guess getting "right back" hasn't occurred yet.

Have plenty of watchtower stickers somewhere - maybe these can be utilized with the City of Richmond, they sure bear watching.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Unless I am mistaken the city attorney never did respond....officially.

Frick does not put money in parking meters and Frack has never received a reply from the Mayor's assistant - guess getting "right back" hasn't occurred yet.

Have plenty of watchtower stickers somewhere - maybe these can be utilized with the City of Richmond, they sure bear watching.
zmayor.jpg

Last edited:

VCDL President

Centurion
Working on it

I called the library today and will call tomorrow to talk to a Ms. Triplett (or something like that). She'll be in after 11 AM.

Nothing more from Chesterfield. We are still looking at September for the correction to their park ordinance. The notice should be going out this month for the September BoS meeting.

We can certainly have a "read-in" to celebrate the correction.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Teeth!

We need teeth in the preemption statute or municipalities will continue with this foolishness until long after the cows have come home and have been milked.

Though patience is said to truly be a virtue, there are times that I think we exceed that of the husbandless, childless old maid just sittin' n rockin', back and forth. Cities and counties snicker (I am convinced) when we point out that this is the same law or its twin that we discussed with them a while back. They look into it, have meetings. posture and drag their feet to maybe change the wording a bit. What is worse, they do it on our dime, are paid to be non-compliant, w/o penalty.

Many times have we seen or heard: No Guns except as authorized or No Firearms except in accordance with §15.2-915 & §18.2-308 Code of Virginia. No more Mr. Councilman - no more Mrs. Chairperson -the banjos is playin' - we're a comin' and we can read.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Teeth!

We need teeth in the preemption statute or municipalities will continue with this foolishness until long after the cows have come home and have been milked.

Though patience is said to truly be a virtue, there are times that I think we exceed that of the husbandless, childless old maid just sittin' n rockin', back and forth. Cities and counties snicker (I am convinced) when we point out that this is the same law or its twin that we discussed with them a while back. They look into it, have meetings. posture and drag their feet to maybe change the wording a bit. What is worse, they do it on our dime, are paid to be non-compliant, w/o penalty.

Many times have we seen or heard: No Guns except as authorized or No Firearms except in accordance with §15.2-915 & §18.2-308 Code of Virginia. No more Mr. Councilman - no more Mrs. Chairperson -the banjos is playin' - we're a comin' and we can read.

+1

but we need teeth in all the reform laws.
When the GA passes a law requiring citizens to obey it, they make violation a misdemeanor or more often these days a felony....

But when they pass a law requiring the government to obey, there's either no penalty or a light slap on the wrist.

Repeater

No teeth?

+1

but we need teeth in all the reform laws.
When the GA passes a law requiring citizens to obey it, they make violation a misdemeanor or more often these days a felony....

But when they pass a law requiring the government to obey, there's either no penalty or a light slap on the wrist.

[size=+2]Preemption without teeth:[/size]
dentistinmandevillela%20no%20teeth.jpg

[size=+2]Preemption with teeth:[/size]
attachment.php

half_life1052

[size=+2]Preemption without teeth:[/size]
dentistinmandevillela%20no%20teeth.jpg

[size=+2]Preemption with teeth:[/size]
attachment.php

You have no idea what fond memories that second picture brings to me. I had the privilege of having one of those for a friend for many moons. I miss the old guy. I had to put him down last year. I got many strange looks when asked what type of dog I had and my response was " I don't have a dog, I have a wolf". He was 22 when he passed.

VCDL President

Centurion
Update

I talked to Ms. Tripplett (Sp?) and she said their policy wasn't actually what was on the web. A "bureaucratic snafu" (my words, not hers). I told her the best thing was to simply remove all references to firearms and not play the "concealed carry banned except as provided by 15.2-915" trickery. I said the only reason to do that was to discourage those who could legally carry there by confusing them and that is NOT the role of government. Web site is going to be updated soon, she said. I expect today or tomorrow.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I talked to Ms. Tripplett (Sp?) and she said their policy wasn't actually what was on the web. A "bureaucratic snafu" (my words, not hers). I told her the best thing was to simply remove all references to firearms and not play the "concealed carry banned except as provided by 15.2-915" trickery. I said the only reason to do that was to discourage those who could legally carry there by confusing them and that is NOT the role of government. Web site is going to be updated soon, she said. I expect today or tomorrow.

Well done Philip.....Now I have to decide if I want to plow on Saturday, or find another Public Servant to humiliate on video:(

Last edited:

riverrat10k

thx, PVC. Had a feeling they would quickly back down.

Now to see how long it takes them to correct the information on-line. (It must be hard to do, ya know, may take months.) sarc.