• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Copycat Colorado Movie Theater Shooter Busted Before He Could do His Copy Cat Killing

mobiushky

Maybe he had no delusions. He could have just wanted to see the batman movie, showed up early (as I often do) and just wanted to feel safe. Are any of those possibilities unreasonable? I feel that you are keeping an open mind in this situation. Yes he broke the law (a law I do not feel is right), but that does not make him a copy cat of a mass shooter.

I never said he was a potential mass shooter. In fact if you review my post you will see a relatively convincing explanation as to why I think he wasn't a copy cat. But was instead simply a guy who was trying to stay safe in a "scary" time. Unfortunately he did it the wrong way. Now, having said that, he may have well known (if in fact the drug prescription bit from the police is true) that he was not legally allowed to carry a firearm. That being the case, he probably saw no other choice and decided to take the chance. However, doing it again, I think he probably should not have consented to search as they had no reason to suspect he had committed a crime. If he had refused, he may have been asked to leave, but at least he would not be sitting in jail now.

It's even possible that this could turn into a 2A SCOTUS case where we get to test the reality of "shall not be infringed." But I kind of doubt it.

Tucker6900

I never said he was a potential mass shooter. In fact if you review my post you will see a relatively convincing explanation as to why I think he wasn't a copy cat. But was instead simply a guy who was trying to stay safe in a "scary" time. Unfortunately he did it the wrong way. Now, having said that, he may have well known (if in fact the drug prescription bit from the police is true) that he was not legally allowed to carry a firearm. That being the case, he probably saw no other choice and decided to take the chance. However, doing it again, I think he probably should not have consented to search as they had no reason to suspect he had committed a crime. If he had refused, he may have been asked to leave, but at least he would not be sitting in jail now.

It's even possible that this could turn into a 2A SCOTUS case where we get to test the reality of "shall not be infringed." But I kind of doubt it.

It would definitely be one for the books. My hope is, and I know this is almost dream world stuff, but without proof of malicious intent, they should just throw it out.

mobiushky

It would definitely be one for the books. My hope is, and I know this is almost dream world stuff, but without proof of malicious intent, they should just throw it out.

If portions of the reporting are accurate, which i guess you can't always count on, they guy did actually break a law. He carried concealed without a legal permit to do so. So if that's correct, I don't see how it would be thrown out. I feel bad for him, cause I pretty much do the same thing he did. Except I have the permit. I even went to the theater last and realized that the seat I was sitting in was probably the worst possible seat in the house. But I was with the kids and didn't want to make them all move because I was thinking I was in a bad "tactical" spot.

I find myself scoping out a place a lot more lately. Am I in a good spot to defend? Where would an active shooter most likely be aiming first if he walked through that door? Where would I tell my kids or wife to go if something started. At the mall, theaters, restaurants, you name it. So in that sense, I can see why he chose his seating.

Gil223

What do you guys think of this? I know it is kind of an odd way of going about your 2a, but I think people panicked and a man was wrongfully arrested based on the information that was given

http://rt.com/usa/news/dark-knight-ohio-arrest-087/

Based upon what was available in the report, Lt. Ray Arcuri may have answered the question...
"After Colorado anything is possible," Arcuri told the Plain Dealer daily. "When you consider the movie he was going to and what happened in Colorado, you have to wonder what would make him want to bring the weapons into that particular film.Americans have been on guard at showings of The Dark Knight Rises following the mass July 20 shootings by James Holmes in Aurora, Colorado, that left 12 dead and 58 wounded.
I wouldn't waste a LOT of time "wondering" - 12 dead and 58 wounded may have motivated him to go to the movies armed! He may have simply overcompensated for his concerns... or, he may have been just another nutjob thinking, "13 and 59 will be the new record". The five knives have triggered my Spidey-senses with more concern than the gun. One gun and one knife is adequate for self-defense. If he was afraid that there would be a replay of the Aurora incident, did he think he could get close enough to a MWAG to stab him? And, if he did think that, he would also been close enough for Stevie-frickin-Wonder to shoot the BG! He should have either stayed home, or been less conspicuous. (I think he was planning on stabbing people when he ran out of ammo) Pirates carried less cutlery than he had on his person! WE NEED CUTLERY CONTROLS!! :rolleyes:

Personally, my WAG (based solely upon the report) is that he just has a few mice in his attic, and should not have been allowed to leave his padded room without supervision. He needs a thorough psych-eval before any decisions are made regarding his mental health, and in what manner to proceed. His intentions are still unclear, as is his impulse control, but his impaired judgment - which could influence his impulse control - is obvious. Pax...

Jack House

My friend often carries with him an arsenal of knives. He has dozens of all sorts of blades hidden throughout his home. Last time I was there, he had 2 machetes hidden in his couch. Some people just like knives, a lot.

twoskinsonemanns

This incident makes me sick. Almost as sick as the conclusion drawn that he was a copy cat of the horrific Colorado incident by the media and some by people on this forum.

So this guy gets to the movie early and sits in the back so he's is illegally searched. Yes he may have broken the law that says if you take certain medication you don't have the right to defend your self. But the treatment of this man is intolerable. I don't condone breaking any laws.

Just think about the leeway that is being given to strip your rights in light of the Colorado incident. It might well be you next.

Look at what they did!

Arrested, held indefinitely, stole every firearm from his home (guns he IS legal to own)!

Think about this "Smith, who has a wife and a young daughter, has no criminal record and briefly served in the military. He is being held without bail "

It might be you next time....

Gil223

My friend often carries with him an arsenal of knives. He has dozens of all sorts of blades hidden throughout his home. Last time I was there, he had 2 machetes hidden in his couch. Some people just like knives, a lot.

I like edged tools too. I have 28 assorted knives, machetes, and tomahawks - but I don't carry more than one at a time on my person. That doesn't make your friend a nutjob... just just a bit eccentric. But, it's his choice. Pax...

Polynikes

I hesitate to pass judgement on the amount of knives he was carrying because I've often found myself carrying more than one blade at a time. Right now, in the messenger bag I carry for work there are no less than three different multi-tools, each with at least one knife blade, as well as a folding knife that I usually put into a pocket. With the proper media spin, I'm sure I could be accused of carrying an arsenal of knives too. The bag just happens to be where I keep my multi-tools. :)

WalkingWolf

I normally have three knives, a tiny pen knife I keep in my pocket, a razor utility knife, and fixed blade on my belt. Each has a different purpose. I wouldn't want to use a fixed blade for a splinter, and a fixed blade or pen knife really are lousy on those annoying plastic packaging. And the fixed blade is basically there for self defense. The police or media has not said what type of knives he had. Rather silly to jump to conclusions.

OC for ME

I carry four knives routinely. Two Bucks - 110 & 112 on the belt. One folding lock-blade in a front pocket and a multi-tool on the belt. I carry a XD .40 and two extra mags. So, I am not a potential copy cat because my mags only hold 12 rounds each, and I carry one less knife than this psycho with a "arsenal of weapons" on his person.

Did anyone notice that he volunteered to take his "arsenal" to his vehicle? Anyone?

Nevada carrier

Would be cool if it played out that way. The enemy has been known to orchestrate false flags to facilitate legislation that would strip away our rights. It's conceivable that there may be a well funded organization out there who found a person willing to risk arrest and conviction with no grantee of success in an attempt to get a case before the Supreme Court. If he's not being prosecuted on the federal level however, it will be the Ohio Supreme Court and SCOTUS will have no obligation to be beholden to it's ruling. Ohio Legislature and State/County/City prosecutors as well as police within Ohio will be beholden to there rulings.

One very interesting thing that happens when State and Federal prosecutors work out who is going to take the reigns of a prosecution is they often consider the effect of an appellate decision would have on the law over their jurisdiction. We'll know if this person is going to make a run at an appellate court decision in his favor if he rejects plea agreements. Hopefully we can still get fresh information after the news cycle is complete.